Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont see how they can grade it as high when he didnt hit him in the head? it was shoulder to chest
Careless and severe i cant argue but it was not high

Careless / Severe / Body - 2 to 3 weeks

It seems like they have made an error in the way they have laid the charge as the charge is predicated upon the high contact when no such high contact occurred.

The concussion was caused predominantly by the whiplash with hitting head on the ground a secondary factor.

Interesting to see how this is argued at the hearing…queue the biomechanics expert.

It seems like they have made an error in the way they have laid the charge as the charge is predicated upon the high contact when no such high contact occurred.

The concussion was caused predominantly by the whiplash with hitting head on the ground a secondary factor.

Interesting to see how this is argued at the hearing…queue the biomechanics expert.
Once the bump was laid Rankine was essentially a human frisbee and therefore is innocent of all charges

Worked for Maynard

Bucks was saying this morning on SEN that its graded as high even if that high contact was to the ground. I find that completely insane. A player can trip over his own feet and make.high contact with the ground. WTF are we even doing in this sport?

Bucks was saying this morning on SEN that its graded as high even if that high contact was to the ground. I find that completely insane. A player can trip over his own feet and make.high contact with the ground. WTF are we even doing in this sport?

That is bizarre but at least clears up the way it has been charged though what if the damage is caused by the whiplash not contact with the ground?

Mere fact that it was classified as careless and severe is referral to the tribunal. Downgrading it from severe would be ideal as high contact is two weeks and body contact is one week. But I think we are stuck with severe. The other matter is whether it was high. If actually to the body, best case is three weeks.

Also, according to a bunch of thick Crows supporters, Dan Houston, a player that is heavily reported to be seeking a trade at the end of the year, and who was an almost certainty for All Australian and just about locked in to play finals, decided to intentionally hit high, and concuss Issac Rankine. Yeah...ok.

I have to say, everything aside, Dans commitment to the contest with all the outside footy stuff hanging over his head was a credit to him and should that happen to be the last game he plays for Port Adelaide, I'll never have questioned his commitment to the club.

If that's how they want to run the game then fine, but its not what the rulebook says.
So much of the way this game is fun is by feel and optics.

If the suspension is effectively outcome based (legal, non-high contact made at the contest) then who suffers the penalty for Marshall going off concussed? Furthermore, a bloke like Marshall running around who seems as though he'd get concussed by a stiff wind these days seems to a be great risk to any opposition players in his vicinity. I'm not saying trying to equate Rankine to Marshall, simply trying to point out the absurdity of an outcome based system. In general law, you have to have committed an illegal offense before impact comes into it.

So you push someone in the side in a marking contest he falls over gets knocked out you get suspended according to the AFL brain's trust..

**** me the games dead

For next round grass and dirt has been suspended and all grounds will be played at the beach on sand.

So a player more prone to concussion falls over in a marking contest and gets concussed, does the other guy get suspended for taking a co tested mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...... At the end of the day he had the choice to tackle and chose not to, and Rankine was knocked out as a result. If it was the other way around I'd be absolutely ropeable if the offender didn't get at least 3 (and to be honest I'm already fairly angry that Thilthorpe didn't get a couple of weeks... and Jones wasn't even concussed).
The bump is still a legal act if footy. So yes, Houston chose to bump Rankine - A legal act. He hit his body, not his head - A legal act. Because of the "severe" outcome, it has probably rightly been graded as "Rough conduct/Careless." But that could also be questionable IMO. Looking at the grading chart, it can be argued that "CONTACT" classification should be Body, and not High. Therefore downgrading the sanction to "2 or more matches." Houston also has one of the best "Good Record" defenses in the league IMO. Well known as a likeable, fair player. It might get a 1-game reduction.

There is quite a fair bit to play out here .... A three, two, or at best, a one game suspension, is quite possible.
1724039780644.png 1724039989935.png

The bump is still a legal act if footy. So yes, Houston chose to bump Rankine - A legal act. He hit his body, not his head - A legal act. Because of the "severe" outcome, it has probably rightly been graded as "Rough conduct/Careless." But that could also be questionable IMO. Looking at the grading chart, it can be argued that "CONTACT" classification should be Body, and not High. Therefore downgrading the sanction to "2 or more matches." Houston also has one of the best "Good Record" defenses in the league IMO. Well known as a likeable, fair player. It might get a 1-game reduction.

There is quite a fair bit to play out here .... A three, two, or at best, a one game suspension, is quite possible.
View attachment 2084532 View attachment 2084537
Inb4 6 weeks

I think it's a reasonable provision for the AFL to make.

I can imagine a scenario where a player "legally" bumps an opponent, but the opponent experiences significant contact to the head as a consequence of the legal bump and that head contact is considered predictable or unavoidable. Take the Hodge bump on Wingard from 2015, but suppose that Hodge only makes contact with Wingard's body/shoulder, Wingard's head still hits the behind post, and Wingard enters concussion protocols - I'd want Hodge to be responsible for high contact in that scenario.

Assuming the AFL can't establish that Houston made direct high contact with Rankine (which they may be able to), the question should be: is it reasonable to apply the above standard in this instance? Was Rankine's head hitting the ground a predictable or unavoidable consequence of Houston's bump?

I think it's a reasonable provision for the AFL to make.

I can imagine a scenario where a player "legally" bumps an opponent, but the opponent experiences significant contact to the head as a consequence of the legal bump and that head contact is considered predictable or unavoidable. Take the Hodge bump on Wingard from 2015, but suppose that Hodge only makes contact with Wingard's body/shoulder, Wingard's head still hits the behind post, and Wingard enters concussion protocols - I'd want Hodge to be responsible for high contact in that scenario.

Assuming the AFL can't establish that Houston made direct high contact with Rankine (which they may be able to), the question should be: is it reasonable to apply the above standard in this instance? Was Rankine's head hitting the ground a predictable or unavoidable consequence of Houston's bump?
This is the AFL they can do what ever the **** they want

Save yourself a lot of heartache and just accept that Dan hit Rankine with a classic shirtfront the left Rankine concussed. That's all the AFL cares about - his choice to bump caused Rankine to hit his head on the ground. You can argue all you like about tripping over and bumping your head, it bears no relevance to this case. There is no Scott Salisbury defence here.

The AFL will go looking for a 4 week suspension I suspect, but at least the gradings left it open to be 3. And Port should definitely push the exemplary record angle because Dan is demonstrably one of the fairest players going around.

Alex Davies was given 3 matches for forceful front on contact to Lachie Jones that was graded careless, severe and high. There's the starting point. And Davies doesn't have Houston's exemplary record.

The AFL have completely stuffed this and many other bumps up.

From an optics point you need to be teaching young players to protect themselves first and foremost when going for a loose ball, similar to a marking contest there are going to be bodies flying everywhere so expect to get body contact.

I don't see how the AFL can punish a bloke when another player has chosen to not protect himself first and foremost in a loose ball contest. It's not the 80s or 90s so there has to be some obligation on a player to protect themselves above all else.

If a concussion comes as a result after a player has shown protective measures, fair enough, but they can't also let players go for leaving themselves wide open as the end results will be far worse.

Lol no worries Leigh Matthews. There wasn't even a free kick awarded and you're still shirty about 2004. Let it go man

Old Lethal would have never played out a full game if they had a send off rule in his time.
Dirty prick was lucky to avoid prison.

Don’t see how anyone can try and argue that it wasn’t a bad bump.

If we are lucky and they take finals into account, 3 would be incredibly lucky and the absolute best scenario.

However if this was in season, I’d expect 4-6 weeks and will likely still be that. It was everything they have been trying to get players to stop doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back