Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t see how anyone can try and argue that it wasn’t a bad bump.

If we are lucky and they take finals into account, 3 would be incredibly lucky and the absolute best scenario.

However if this was in season, I’d expect 4-6 weeks and will likely still be that. It was everything they have been trying to get players to stop doing.
Lol bad bump 🤡 it was fair in play ..
You use to make players earn it ..

It seems highly unlikely, but I'd really like to see port talk it down to 2 weeks. Dan plays at such a consistently high level and deserves to play finals more than most on our list..

Seems extremely unlikely it is 3 weeks unless we successfully argue there was no contact to the head.

If you KO someone these days your are looking a at a minimum of 4, and most likely 5 or 6

Seems extremely unlikely it is 3 weeks unless we successfully argue there was no contact to the head.

If you KO someone these days your are looking a at a minimum of 4, and most likely 5 or 6
If we successfully argue the contact is to the body, not the head it’s potentially 2 per the MRO guidelines, based on it being careless and severe impact.

If you "make a player earn it" and knock him out in 2024, you're looking at 4+ weeks. We'll need a very favourable tribunal that doesn't want to cost Dan a potential GF spot to get it to less than that.

If the suspension is effectively outcome based (legal, non-high contact made at the contest) then who suffers the penalty for Marshall going off concussed? Furthermore, a bloke like Marshall running around who seems as though he'd get concussed by a stiff wind these days seems to a be great risk to any opposition players in his vicinity. I'm not saying trying to equate Rankine to Marshall, simply trying to point out the absurdity of an outcome based system. In general law, you have to have committed an illegal offense before impact comes into it.
Unfortunately you are using to much logic. These are footy heads that constantly talk about a “feel for the game”. What ever that means.

Maynard last year

This was graded the same as Dan Houston's and received a 3 week suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was graded the same as Dan Houston's and received a 3 week suspension.

My understanding is that the AFL then grade it based on public hysteria and outrage.

If we are lucky and they take finals into account, 3 would be incredibly lucky and the absolute best scenario.

However if this was in season, I’d expect 4-6 weeks and will likely still be that. It was everything they have been trying to get players to stop doing.

Well the bump was on the player possessing the ball and contact was made to the shoulder. One could argue it was the "perfect" bump.

It is a contact sport. Accidents happen. If the contact was to the head and that was the reason for the concussion, he'd rightly have the book thrown at him. But that's not the case on both counts. And hence, people are up in arms because he executed the "perfect" bump and people want him punished because he hit Rankine too hard.

I'm not suggesting this at you by any means, but people need to understand that concussions can be caused by contact not made to the head. And the AFL has not outlawed the bump but rather said players need to avoid head contact.

I maintain the assertion if he was wearing black and white stripes of a different kind of Saturday night he would be free to play this week. Then again, given how many Victorians confuse the prison bars with the black and white stripes of Collingwood, maybe Houston will get off after all.

You are still are allowed to bump and contest the ball. Houston hit Rankine in the body, not the head.
He wasn't really contesting it , his back was against the ball.
Even if he bumped him in the arse and he flipped back and got concussed that's still weeks if that was the result of a "bump". It's almost irrelevant where he hits him.
That's the current joke the competition finds itself in.

system is flawed when rankine can bump and concuss a bloke off the ball whilst play was stopped and get 4 weeks and houston is looking at 4 weeks as a starting point..
Doing it in the prison bars don't help.
It's all emotion ,optics and theatre.
The fact it changed the game is probably an extra week as well.

system is flawed when rankine can bump and concuss a bloke off the ball whilst play was stopped and get 4 weeks and houston is looking at 4 weeks as a starting point..

Lol acting like the Rankine bump was some sniping shot. It was off the ball but a light shepherd, ol mate just wasn't paying attention at all.

In terms of impact it was way lower, if the player saw Rankine it would have been nothing

Whiplash knocked him out - not a direct head knock...

The forceful back-and-forth motion of whiplash can cause the brain to collide with the skull, potentially leading to a concussion. In high-impact collisions that cause whiplash, the force may be sufficient to cause a temporary loss of consciousness, even without direct head trauma.

What’s your definition of a good bump ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is there any conclusive image or video that shows Houston didn’t hit him in the neck or head? Current footage is grainy at best.
Does the tribunal get a doctors report from Rankine? If there is no facial bruising or swelling then that could definitively prove no high contact?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back