Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at it like this, and you'll have to bare with me here.
Dans bump probably guaranteed us an opportunity to shape the final 8, he took 1 for not only the team but non Vic clubs in general.
But we need to accept he's out of our finals tilt and if at any time, play with our form this week, not in the Quali.

We have the advantage this week of playing last which gives us a chance to shape the 8.
We cant do it alone though, other non Vics have to lift, we need Schoey and the WC boys to keep a lid on Geelongs %.
Thats the kicker, but we'll have that result in hand
We also need GWS to get up, a dilemma for the AFL as it puts them above us into 2nd but exposes the Dogs to Freo whos destiny is then in our hands.
We'll have that result in hand too before we play.
If it unfolds like that, we get our revenge by cutting Vic finals representation to 3 and gift Freo their spot.

So if WC keep Geelong in check, GWS get up, we hand Freo 8th and we head to a quali against GWS over there.
Not easy but we can do it.

Brisbane take care of Freo and Blues Hawks knock the other out, Sydney send Cats to the semi.

If we beat GWS we get a home Prelim against Bris or Cats.
If we lose we go via the home semi against Blues or Hawks and a win sees us against the Swans over there for a GF spot.

I know, im crazy, but it could just work.

The tribunal found that the bump was high so it was not a fair bump.
That is absolute BS in my opinion!

So he has an AC-joint injury, but the hit to his shoulder could easily do that, even, and more likely, the impact with the ground. Even if they insist that it was high, that is just free-kick worthy! Vision shows no contact with his head or face, so the impact of the bump itself definitely doesnt cause the concussion.

I have no problems with a 3 match suspension for unintentional rough play, and we fight to get it to two ... But I guarantee you, if this was Nick Daicos at the tribunal, and Collingwood was sitting in second spot, or a Jason Cripps and Carlton ... he gets a maximum 1 match ban!!

I look at it like this, and you'll have to bare with me here.
Dans bump probably guaranteed us an opportunity to shape the final 8, he took 1 for not only the team but non Vic clubs in general.
But we need to accept he's out of our finals tilt and if at any time, play with our form this week, not in the Quali.

We have the advantage this week of playing last which gives us a chance to shape the 8.
We cant do it alone though, other non Vics have to lift, we need Schoey and the WC boys to keep a lid on Geelongs %.
Thats the kicker, but we'll have that result in hand
We also need GWS to get up, a dilemma for the AFL as it puts them above us into 2nd but exposes the Dogs to Freo whos destiny is then in our hands.
We'll have that result in hand too before we play.
If it unfolds like that, we get our revenge by cutting Vic finals representation to 3 and gift Freo their spot.

So if WC keep Geelong in check, GWS get up, we hand Freo 8th and we head to a quali against GWS over there.
Not easy but we can do it.

Brisbane take care of Freo and Blues Hawks knock the other out, Sydney send Cats to the semi.

If we beat GWS we get a home Prelim against Bris or Cats.
If we lose we go via the home semi against Blues or Hawks and a win sees us against the Swans over there for a GF spot.

I know, im crazy, but it could just work.
Maybe Dan did take ons for the team, however, I had trust in Port getting over Adelaide whether that happened or not. They started digging in prior to that and Rankine was not crows best regardless of what they keep saying. He's good but wasn't that night.

However, Port shouldn't play Russian roulette. Focus 1 final at a time and win. 1st one at home against IMO the cats, win. Then preliminary I believe will be against Sydney, win and if I'm right it will or possibly could be GWS vs Port GF where it gets interesting

I wonder if our appeal will consist of the defence "its just the vibe of it"
Opposite .. That is EXACTLY what the AFL are using to assassinate Houston! It's "the vibe" .. the look ... the optics. Hell, it wasnt nice seeing Rankine spasm, knowing his brain had just been injured.

So Houston has been tried, judged, and executed by media over the last few days based on "the vibe" .... Certainly NOT on any law!

The guidelines specifically state that high contact can be applied where a player hits their head on a fence or the ground as a result of the offending players actions. I don't think we can argue the contact was not high based on the way the rules are written. Our only avenue of appeal would be that the sentence was excessive and at best we could get it reduced to 3 games.

Obviously what Dan did is nowhere near as bad, but this could potentially be our West Coast 2018 moment when Andrew Gaff got suspended but they still rallied (with injuries to Nic Nat and Brad Shepherd to boot) and won the flag that year.

Maybe Dan did take ons for the team, however, I had trust in Port getting over Adelaide whether that happened or not. They started digging in prior to that and Rankine was not crows best regardless of what they keep saying. He's good but wasn't that night.

However, Port shouldn't play Russian roulette. Focus 1 final at a time and win. 1st one at home against IMO the cats, win. Then preliminary I believe will be against Sydney, win and if I'm right it will or possibly could be GWS vs Port GF where it gets interesting
I agree, I just believe it made a certainty of it.

If we get Geelong in the last game of the weekend and 2 Vic sides have already been sent packing, the umps will go in dry on us, nothing surer.

Id rather create an outnumber and avoid them at all costs if its on the table at 5pm Sunday than become the sacrificial goat.

I agree, I just believe it made a certainty of it.

If we get Geelong in the last game of the weekend and 2 Vic sides have already been sent packing, the umps will go in dry on us, nothing surer.

Id rather create an outnumber and avoid them at all costs if its on the table at 5pm Sunday than become the sacrificial goat.
It's quite possible Port will face the cats in 1st final at home. That would be the better option in my book than GWS.

If Giants lose to dogs and cats flog Eagles by 40 or more points they could jump ahead on percentage. Even if we lose to Freo though they won't have enough percentage to jump Port. Unless they beat Eagles by like 120 or more points I think.

It's quite possible Port will face the cats in 1st final at home. That would be the better option in my book than GWS.

If Giants lose to dogs and cats flog Eagles by 40 or more points they could jump ahead on percentage. Even if we lose to Freo though they won't have enough percentage to jump Port. Unless they beat Eagles by like 120 or more points I think.
Ladder predictor suggests cats by 90 jump us if we lose to Freo.

Thats why I said in my previous post that WC have to turn up or we could find ourselves having to win @ Freo to avoid cats away which could quite possibly be at GMHBA.
I know we beat them there but a final is another story.

I always look at it like if the roles were reversed and Fogarty did that to Evans/Houston/anyone we’d probably be all wanting 5 weeks

Yep, and since we're one of the less unreasonable baying mobs, allowing for natural bias it ought to be 3-4 then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposite .. That is EXACTLY what the AFL are using to assassinate Houston! It's "the vibe" .. the look ... the optics. Hell, it wasnt nice seeing Rankine spasm, knowing his brain had just been injured.

So Houston has been tried, judged, and executed by media over the last few days based on "the vibe" .... Certainly NOT on any law!
Exactly. Maynard effectively ended the career of a player. Seeing Bradshaw being carried off on a stretcher was not a good look. But hey let’s let him off because he is from Collingwood. Corrupt bunch of pricks.

We are going to miss Houston.

On his regular Tuesday night segment on SEN Sportsday Vic, with Healy and Kornes yesterday, Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne last night said;

Port is the #1 corridor team in the comp, how will Houston missing impact this? Houston is the 3rd highest rated player in the comp, by Champion Data's 100 x rating system, off being the 3rd highest rating in the comp last year.

He is the #1 kick, has the #1 kick rating in the comp. When he goes short he is the 3rd best short kick in the comp. When he goes long he is the 4th best long kick in the comp. Exiting D50 he is the 2nd best kick in the comp. So how do you replace him??

They talk about Burton. Kane used the analogy - when you want the Jatz cracker at the super market but get the Ritz instead. Ritz is softer than the Jatz and isn't as good - its the poor man's Jatz. Ryan Burton is the Ritz version of the Jatz.

Kane said "Burton at his best is very good. Burton at his worst is horrible. So what Ryan Burton are you going to get? Who knows."

I have tried to embed this so it starts at the Port talk at 24:06. If I haven't succeeded start there.

Last edited:

On his regular Tuesday night segment on SEN Sportsday Vic, with Healy and Kornes yesterday, Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne last night said;

Port is the #1 corridor team in the comp, how will Houston missing impact this? Houston is the 3rd highest rated player in the comp, by Champion Data's 100 x rating system, off being the 3rd highest rating in the comp last year.

He is the #1 kick, has the #1 kick rating in the comp. When he goes short he is the 3rd best short kick in the comp. When he goes long he is the 4th best long kick in the comp. Exiting D50 he is the 2nd best kick in the comp. So how do you replace him??

They talk about Burton. Kane used the analogy - when you want the Jatz cracker at the super market but get the Ritz instead. Ritz is softer than the Jatz and isn't as good - its the poor man's Jatz. Ryan Burton is the Ritz version of the Jatz.

Kane said "Burton at his best is very good. Burton at his worst is horrible. So what Ryan Burton are you going to get? Who knows."

I have tried to embed this sort it starts at the Port talk at 24:06. If I haven't succeeded start there.

100%, his leg is irreplaceable one of the best users of a ball I have seen at Alberton I put his kicking up there with Buckley Bradley Abernethy etc

That is absolute BS in my opinion!

So he has an AC-joint injury, but the hit to his shoulder could easily do that

Having done two ac joints I’m almost certain the bump to the shoulder did it. To the point where I reckon it’s almost proof that the contact was mainly to the shoulder. (Knocking the shoulder back puts pressure on the joint)

I don't think he's leaving for love, I genuinely believe it's the 5AA effect.

How many players from crows and port have left after being forced to endure a weekly radio grilling from tweedle dee and tweedle dumb , it would be an interesting count.

I don't think he's leaving for love, I genuinely believe it's the 5AA effect.

How many players from crows and port have left after being forced to endure a weekly radio grilling from tweedle dee and tweedle dumb , it would be an interesting count.

All of them I think.

I have tried to embed this sort it starts at the Port talk at 24:06. If I haven't succeeded start there.

I agree, I bought ritz last week & tasted like shit. lol what an analogy though, may just fire up Burton.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nah, Ollie Wines still remains!

Revenge Of The Sith Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back