Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

May have just had a good night with the missus and has got the baby batter off his brain.

Blue balls is responsible for many a blokes thinking.

But congratulations to Dan on a second AA nod, shows how good and consistent a player he has been over the last few years, would not hold it against him if he is seeking better terms elsewhere financially as his form certainly warrants it.

Him saying on radio he's staying while we're still in season means nothing. I'll believe he's here next year when trade week ends and he hasn't been traded.

Last edited:
Don't you think there is a difference between answering the questions like 'i'm contracted for 3 more years' versus 'i'll be here next year'.?
Ask Tom Scully or Buddy Franklin.

Scully, who came to the Demons as their top selection in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft, said he was focused on staying in the red and blue for the duration of his playing days.

"I'd love to end my career and say I was a one-club player, and I anticipate that will be the case," he said.

Asked about his plans, Franklin replied: "at this stage, I want to stay at Hawthorn." He later added: "I have no intentions of leaving the football club, but it is what it is," he said.

Ask Tom Scully or Buddy Franklin.

Scully, who came to the Demons as their top selection in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft, said he was focused on staying in the red and blue for the duration of his playing days.

"I'd love to end my career and say I was a one-club player, and I anticipate that will be the case," he said.

Asked about his plans, Franklin replied: "at this stage, I want to stay at Hawthorn." He later added: "I have no intentions of leaving the football club, but it is what it is," he said.

.........I'd love to end my career and say I was a one-club player

.......Asked about his plans, Franklin replied: "at this stage, I want to stay at Hawthorn."

.......He later added: "I have no intentions of leaving the football club, but it is what it is," he said.

All of those comments are not definitive of anything.

'I will be here next year' is about as clear cut as you get.

.........I'd love to end my career and say I was a one-club player

.......Asked about his plans, Franklin replied: "at this stage, I want to stay at Hawthorn."

.......He later added: "I have no intentions of leaving the football club, but it is what it is," he said.

All of those comments are not definitive of anything.

'I will be here next year' is about as clear cut as you get.
Okay. Believe what you want. My condolences in advance on the surprise and disappointment you're going to be feeling in about a month.

Narrative?
The story.

Dan signs a very good contract with the Power a few years ago.
He becomes AA last year.
Supposedly thinks his contract is too small.
Supposedly wants to get out of it.
Supposedly has a new girlfriend back in Melbourne.
Supposedly wants to have a family with her.
Supposedly wants to get back to Melbourne.
Dan gets some backlash from the fans for going back to Melbourne for a pretty low ball reason.
Supposedly nothing to do with getting a bigger contract with the Melbourne Demons.
The Melbourne Demons implode and he supposedly doesn't want to go there anymore.
Supposedly has other suitors in Melbourne.
Dan gets another AA jumper.
Supposedly a rumour that his teammates are a bit funny with him. That's a big, big, huge supposedly bordering on rubbish.
Has a cracking bump against Rankine and gets 5 weeks which means he doesn't have to play for the rest of the year.
Supposedly wants to stay.

Just shut up and make up your f'ing mind, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like that other than Melbourne there is no other club that will get close to Port's demands, so Dan has accepted he will be here for next year at least. Not the first player to be held to his contract and doesnt seem like he hates it here or anything, so shouldnt expect any dip in form next year. Their have been numerous examples of other players being held to their contract and going to play excellent footy the following year, Ryan O'Keefe probably the best example.

The story.

Dan signs a very good contract with the Power a few years ago.
He becomes AA last year.
Supposedly thinks his contract is too small.
Supposedly wants to get out of it.
Supposedly has a new girlfriend back in Melbourne.
Supposedly wants to have a family with her.
Supposedly wants to get back to Melbourne.
Dan gets some backlash from the fans for going back to Melbourne for a pretty low ball reason.
Supposedly nothing to do with getting a bigger contract with the Melbourne Demons.
The Melbourne Demons implode and he supposedly doesn't want to go there anymore.
Supposedly has other suitors in Melbourne.
Dan gets another AA jumper.
Supposedly a rumour that his teammates are a bit funny with him. That's a big, big, huge supposedly bordering on rubbish.
Has a cracking bump against Rankine and gets 5 weeks which means he doesn't have to play for the rest of the year.
Supposedly wants to stay.

Just shut up and make up your f'ing mind, mate.
They've got to get clicks somehow

Stays, goes, unless we're stupid at the trade table, we will win either way.

If he’s indecisive and Melbourne were willing to pay his worth, other clubs not, it may highlight where he’s appreciated

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back