Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? His output over the last 5 years has been better than any of our forwards even though is is the number 2 forward at Carlton.
They will want to much, we have a ‘flakey’ CHF in Finlayson already and Lukocious coming in.

They will want to much, we have a ‘flakey’ CHF in Finlayson already and Lukocious coming in.

I think the suggestion is sound, but McKay will not want to come to Adelaide, that would be the sticking point, and like you I also have an inkling Luko is yet to nominate a club because Port are still alive.

For another thread but although I don't rate Owies, he is surely better than McEntee and Evans?

I think the suggestion is sound, but McKay will not want to come to Adelaide, that would be the sticking point, and like you I also have an inkling Luko is yet to nominate a club because Port are still alive.

For another thread but although I don't rate Owies, he is surely better than McEntee and Evans?
Would rather back in Tommy A and Charleson, and Benny B than grab a slight upgrade on what we have.

Would rather back in Tommy A and Charleson, and Benny B than grab a slight upgrade on what we have.

Fair enough. I know nothing about those youngsters already on the list, in fact never heard of Benny B. The only Benny B I know is Benjamin Button.

I am a keen follower of Richards from his draft year and think he might be one of the underrated signings if we do get it across the line. His work rate is elite, has the speed and goal sense and imo he's better than FEvans, Narkle and McEntee. Barrett will also be exciting and he'll be the tackle machine we need up forward. Hopefully he can develop to be an even better version of Rioli with more forward half pressure.

I am a keen follower of Richards from his draft year and think he might be one of the underrated signings if we do get it across the line. His work rate is elite, has the speed and goal sense and imo he's better than FEvans, Narkle and McEntee. Barrett will also be exciting and he'll be the tackle machine we need up forward. Hopefully he can develop to be an even better version of Rioli with more forward half pressure.
Great to hear.

If Richards can come in and come over the top of McEntee, Franky Evans and Narkle, it is a huge win.

There needs to be a better outcome than Carlton are currently offering.

The 1st pick needs to be inside 10 after adjustments are made for Saints/Gold Coast/Brisbane.

Going to have to get other clubs involved.

If Carlton have wined dined and sixty-nined Dan, then it's up to them to close the deal.

Make a hard decision, or as someone I know says, take a shit or get off the pot.

getable reported today that Norf have entered the chat with a big $ offer and throwing next years first on the table. Pass from me, they have a perfectly good pick they can give us this year.

getable reported today that Norf have entered the chat with a big $ offer and throwing next years first on the table. Pass from me, they have a perfectly good pick they can give us this year.

Agree. They don't have to improve much to be outside top 10 picks next year.

Port want to get into this year's draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you listened to the clip, they state that they are looking to use their future first to grab another top 10 pick for this year's draft that they can use for Houston. Twomey then mentions they'd likely need to throw in a second rounder as well to get it done.

I've said it before, but I think realistically we let Houston go for a top 10 this year plus early second rounder (this year or next).

If you listened to the clip, they state that they are looking to use their future first to grab another top 10 pick for this year's draft that they can use for Houston. Twomey then mentions they'd likely need to throw in a second rounder as well to get it done.

I've said it before, but I think realistically we let Houston go for a top 10 this year plus early second rounder (this year or next).
The original request was two first rounders or a low first rounder and steak knive.
Where a pick under 10+ second rounder was rated better than two first rounders picks in their teens

Even if it got pick 2 in this draft, I'd split it with Goldcoast for 5 and 13 and give them some picks to help them get Lombard

They get Dan to say yes then this year's pick is ours.

Dan's worth a massive deal then he's worth the pick or it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
North already have a large number of recent high picks, and lots of those are midfielder types. Getting Dan for their first pick this year considering, they struggle to attract top end talent, they need on field leadership, they need a top line player across their half back line isn’t stupid for them.
Concern would be whether we can convince Dan to go there. Show him lots of videos from the 90s or something.

will probably be the or one of the trades of the period, 3-4 team, a half-decent first rounder and a bad first rounder, basically all settled on the Monday but held back until Friday for maximum juiciness

It’s really simple, he’s easily in our top 5 most important players. Arguably the best half back in the game and probably the best kick in the game.

We should be putting an absolutely ridiculously high price in his head and if clubs don’t want to play that price. Then we keep him.

He’s contracted. If the clubs that want him don’t value him as highly as we do and don’t want to pay up, that’s not our problem.

I’m convinced we want 2 first rounders to (a) give one to Gold Coast for Lukosius and (b) to use one so we don’t fall foul of the AFLs rules re using first round picks.

If I’m right, we are more likely to accept #17 and #18 (if that gets the job done with lukosius) than #9 and the first pick in Round 2.

We may need the flexibility to use first round picks in future years to get Pickett or Wanganeen-Milera (or Cochrane).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back