Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fine with keeping him too however we generally deal, I think two firsts is a pipe dream unless he goes to a crap club which he probably wont agree on.

Ooc or players with a year to go on their deals have been done for 2 1sts many times. See Taranto as one example.

There’s no reason we should expect less other than cuck mentality. Of course what we should do and what we do don’t always align.

What a ripoff, no way + Dan would not go to North.
Our best outcome is he gets back in touch with the Dees
I couldn’t take that deal quick enough. Two North 1sts for Houston who is going anyway, Soldo who we could manage without and a F2? No way North do that deal. We could draft another JHF and Butters with those picks.

This is a player who is consistently in our top 3 of the BnF, 2 time all Australian, who is contracted for the next 4 years.

It literally should be x2 first rounders or nothing.

How the vic media have tried to turn this into a “1 first rounder is enough” is embarrassing

Houston you could argue is our best player. I will give up on port if we give him away while contracted for unders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a player who is consistently in our top 3 of the BnF, 2 time all Australian, who is contracted for the next 4 years.

How the vic media have tried to turn this into a “1 first rounder is enough” is embarrassing

Houston you could argue is our best player. I will give up on port if we give him away while contracted for unders
Actually, everything I’ve heard from the media seems to accept the price. Not once have I heard a comment suggesting we are asking too much.

Waiting for the "Pick 10 and a F3 is overs" narrative.

Actually, everything I’ve heard from the media seems to accept the price. Not once have I heard a comment suggesting we are asking too much.
I heard cal today say pick 8 and “maybe a second rounder”. Sam McClure said on his podcast that there is no way Houston is worth anything more than 1 first rounder. Said Bailey smith is worth more.

Even the reporting saying “north are offering their future first”, or Carlton not putting up pick 11, numerous other examples.

If Houston was playing for Collingwood the reporting would just be talking about how clubs can get two first rounders.

I heard cal today say pick 8 and “maybe a second rounder”. Sam McClure said on his podcast that there is no way Houston is worth anything more than 1 first rounder. Said Bailey smith is worth more.

Even the reporting saying “north are offering their future first”, or Carlton not putting up pick 11, numerous other examples.

If Houston was playing for Collingwood the reporting would just be talking about how clubs can get two first rounders.
Its either gotta be two picks between 10-18 (one has to be 10, 11 or 12) or its a top 5 pick plus an early 2nd second rounder.

Reality is there is likely a player in the top end of the draft that the club has it's eyes on. If they think they can manufacture a pick or collection of picks that can be on traded to secure that player then they pull the trigger. Otherwise Dan is a port player next year. It's hard to comment on what is a good trade and what isn't without knowing who the club is eyeing.

I can’t recall or imagine any other club doing us a solid to the extent it seem like we’re going to do for whichever club gets Houston. Closest thing is maybe West Coast jumping into the JHF trade to help us bring him home and facilitate Willie’s request as well.
No way any club in our situation right now would go “oh okay fineeeee, he’s still got a contract for years and has made the last 2 AA sides, but we’ll happily accept less than 2 firsts”. Not one of them would be as weak as us. We ****ing suck, where’s the ruthlessness we would’ve had in the 80s or earlier.

Reality is there is likely a player in the top end of the draft that the club has it's eyes on. If they think they can manufacture a pick or collection of picks that can be on traded to secure that player then they pull the trigger. Otherwise Dan is a port player next year. It's hard to comment on what is a good trade and what isn't without knowing who the club is eyeing.

Will be interesting to see if we did end up getting 2 firsts that are after pick 10, whether we give that up to get into top 5 or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back