Ross Lyon- Hate Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
if the ball had only bounced a little to the left for poor old milney all this horrible business might of been avoided;

I'm glad he's gone. The boys need some freshness and this has given them some motivation I guess. I hope Ross ****s Fremantle's game-style up and speaks slower in his post match press conferences than he did at St Kilda ! Can't wait to see who gets the gig. Brenton Sanderson a strong candidate ?

Speaking as a Cat fan who in some respects has seen a little bit of this sort of thing in the way Gary Ayers and Bomber Thompson left us (Bomber in terms of apparently speaking to Essendon several weeks before season's end), i don't think it's too much of a negative for your club.

St.Kilda without doubt under Lyon was an extremely disciplined intensely focussed club who in any measure came as close to ultimate success as you could without reaching the summit. In terms of wins/losses Lyon has the best win percentage of anyone who has coached the Saints. In 2009 your side looked almost impregnable for almost the whole season, and to be within one kick of an opponent in successive Grand Finals at siren's end...there's not much more that could be said apart from the luck on the day.

His intensity and his defensive systems he brought from his Sydney days is in my opinion a game style that has a limited life span. Limited simply because of the draining intensity that players have to follow to allow it to succeed. Arguably St.Kilda in recent years has had great top-end talent but perhaps variable quality by the time you get to 17-25 on the list. The players bought in 100% (as did Ross), and the emotional energy expended and drained after just about touching the summit but not quite getting there is significant.

The Saints have still got a great list of top-end talent. I reckon a new coach might reinvigorate a side that needs some change of emphasis. Geelong has thrived under Scott with a tinkered game plan of lionger kicking, despite losing the league's best player. Such a change of game plan might enable the talent of Riewoldt and Goddard to be fully utlilised. Nick himself has invested an enormous amount of his body working within the Saint's game style and he may relish a different style of game that allows him maybe to be one-out with his man rather than working so hard as he does.

It's very disappointing how Lyon has left, but like Bomber with Geelong (and Ayers before that) perhaps his leaving the club will act as a tonic rather than a blow. Fresh faces, fresh ideas, i'll be betting the Saints next year will still be right up there and your club will thrive.

Speaking as a Cat fan who in some respects has seen a little bit of this sort of thing in the way Gary Ayers and Bomber Thompson left us (Bomber in terms of apparently speaking to Essendon several weeks before season's end), i don't think it's too much of a negative for your club.

St.Kilda without doubt under Lyon was an extremely disciplined intensely focussed club who in any measure came as close to ultimate success as you could without reaching the summit. In terms of wins/losses Lyon has the best win percentage of anyone who has coached the Saints. In 2009 your side looked almost impregnable for almost the whole season, and to be within one kick of an opponent in successive Grand Finals at siren's end...there's not much more that could be said apart from the luck on the day.

His intensity and his defensive systems he brought from his Sydney days is in my opinion a game style that has a limited life span. Limited simply because of the draining intensity that players have to follow to allow it to succeed. Arguably St.Kilda in recent years has had great top-end talent but perhaps variable quality by the time you get to 17-25 on the list. The players bought in 100% (as did Ross), and the emotional energy expended and drained after just about touching the summit but not quite getting there is significant.

The Saints have still got a great list of top-end talent. I reckon a new coach might reinvigorate a side that needs some change of emphasis. Geelong has thrived under Scott with a tinkered game plan of lionger kicking, despite losing the league's best player. Such a change of game plan might enable the talent of Riewoldt and Goddard to be fully utlilised. Nick himself has invested an enormous amount of his body working within the Saint's game style and he may relish a different style of game that allows him maybe to be one-out with his man rather than working so hard as he does.

It's very disappointing how Lyon has left, but like Bomber with Geelong (and Ayers before that) perhaps his leaving the club will act as a tonic rather than a blow. Fresh faces, fresh ideas, i'll be betting the Saints next year will still be right up there and your club will thrive.

One of the better posts I have read on BF for a long time.

Better than the rubbish that's in the papers this AM.

**** me, Rohan Connolly is a ****.

It's nice seeing some supporters of St Kildas bigger rivals in the last couple of years (Collingwood, Geelong) coming in and not going for the old doom and gloom.
Cheers for the encouragement guys :thumbsu:

Ross Lyon stated before the Swans match that if you prepare for a final any differently then you are taking shortcuts in the regular season. Well, I guess you were taking shortcuts for the last six Ross.

You disappoint me because the way you left like thus destroys what you achieved. Still, might get to see some offense next and a target ahead of the ball.

It's 4 weeks or so out from the finals and Ross Lyon has got the Saints going ok, he's talking with Freo about a possible move there.

1) Does he tell everyone and derail the club's finals campaign when the place turns into a media circus?

2) Does he do the negotiations on his own, bypassing his management company to avoid any possibility of a leak thus avoid the scenario above?

3) Does he remember the shit fight that was Terry Wallace's move from Footscary to Sydney that didn't eventuate after the media got hold of it?

People don't like how it's been done but as an impartial observer, maybe it was the best way to get it done without ruining any chance the club had for finals. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but perhaps at the time Ross genuinely believed that it was the best way to do it.

I guess until he knew that Freo were definitely going to axe Harvey he had to keep the charade up.

Be thankful that it all worked out or else you may have a coach there for the next 4 years whose heart wasn't in it.

The one I really feel for in all of this is Mark Harvey.

It's 4 weeks or so out from the finals and Ross Lyon has got the Saints going ok, he's talking with Freo about a possible move there.

1) Does he tell everyone and derail the club's finals campaign when the place turns into a media circus?

If he has his team going into the finals he shouldn't be talking to other teams at all!

This is like last year when our coach was too busy packing his bags to get the most out of the team.

It makes me wonder about the Sydney/Saints game. I seriously thought the Saints would win that.

If he has his team going into the finals he shouldn't be talking to other teams at all!

This is like last year when our coach was too busy packing his bags to get the most out of the team.

It makes me wonder about the Sydney/Saints game. I seriously thought the Saints would win that.

Why? At least it's given St Kilda the chance to have a better look for a replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3) Does he remember the shit fight that was Terry Wallace's move from Footscary to Sydney that didn't eventuate after the media got hold of it?

Best to forget that

I feel sorry & pity for Ross, not hate.

So many times he stood in front of our lads & asked for their commitment, what is going to happen when he does this at Fremantle? Every one of the Fremantle lads will be thinking, WTF, this turncoat tells us to commit.

He was regarded as an honest man, no longer. What does it profit a man to gain the world if he loses his soul. Nobody will ever trust him again. He has thrown away more then our hate could ever take from him.

I feel sorry & pity for Ross, not hate.

So many times he stood in front of our lads & asked for their commitment, what is going to happen when he does this at Fremantle? Every one of the Fremantle lads will be thinking, WTF, this turncoat tells us to commit.

He was regarded as an honest man, no longer. What does it profit a man to gain the world if he loses his soul. Nobody will ever trust him again. He has thrown away more then our hate could ever take from him.

Must say disgusted with his conduct.

If he wanted to leave, he could have done so without dragging his own name through the mud.

Not even addressing his players, that he demanded so much from.
Orchestrating the sacking of a colleague.
Deceit of his management team, and the club that gave him the chance.

Must say disgusted with his conduct.

If he wanted to leave, he could have done so without dragging his own name through the mud.

Not even addressing his players, that he demanded so much from.
Orchestrating the sacking of a colleague.
Deceit of his management team, and the club that gave him the chance.

He could have told the club, Nettlefold only perhaps that he was thinking about moving on. At least then the club wouldn't be so far behind in the search for a coach.

Instead we put all our resources into signing him up until Thursday whilst we and his management have no idea that he has no inclination of signing with us. Making all that contract negotiation a monumental waste of time, time that could have been spent beginning the process for the right coach.

He could have told the club, Nettlefold only perhaps that he was thinking about moving on. At least then the club wouldn't be so far behind in the search for a coach.

Instead we put all our resources into signing him up until Thursday whilst we and his management have no idea that he has no inclination of signing with us. Making all that contract negotiation a monumental waste of time, time that could have been spent beginning the process for the right coach.

This is the most infuriating part.
How duplicitous.

Yep, nice post mate. I'm really looking forward to see who the new coach will be & where we'll be a year from now.

Why hate Ross, alot of people wanted him gone anyway.

For all those that are upset he is gone I would be blaming Nettlefold for the situation. Giving him a late contract only when Melbourne were sniffing around (extra year with no increase in $$) and hiring Pelchan without his knowledge then having Ross report to him was just to peeve the guy off and seek other choices.

Its Nettlefold who has stuffed up here, no-one else, any fall-out then he needs to look at his position

lyonbastard.jpg

This is a very good post.

His name is Ayres, but it's still a very good post.

For all those that are upset he is gone I would be blaming Nettlefold for the situation. Giving him a late contract only when Melbourne were sniffing around (extra year with no increase in $$) and hiring Pelchan without his knowledge then having Ross report to him was just to peeve the guy off and seek other choices.

Its Nettlefold who has stuffed up here, no-one else, any fall-out then he needs to look at his position

A lot? Go and find more than 5 people on this forum posting that they wanted him gone. Regardless of anything else.

End of the day, I don't want a coach on a 4 year contract who's heart isn't in it. And if this guy was going behind our backs with 5 weeks still to run in the season then he obviously isn't the man I was lead to believe he is.

No.

After our start to the year, I can see why conversations started late.
There was another year to run on this contract.

When negotiations started, if the man had any balls, he would have said "I am unhappy about x, and x"
Not allow his management to negotiate.
Not as late as Wednesday say he is committed.
Not lie to his players all year, telling them he is committed (as Paul Roos mentioned On the Couch).

It would have been easy to say "there is another year to go, I am happy where things are.. we can talk after the season". Would have indicated something was up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back