Round 1 2011 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
With us looking likely not to make any trades, i thought I might start a bit of round 1 selection banter. We lacked pace, enthusiasm and a decent working forward structure this season. Below is kind of assuming Gardiner and Bakes are past it..

FB: Blake Dawson Miles
HB: Gwilt Fisher Gram
C: Goddard Dal Santo Montagna
HF: Gilbert Riewoldt Schneider
FF: Steven Kozzi Milne
Foll: McEvoy Jones Hayes
Int: Ray Clarke Armitage
Sub: Geary/someone young
Emg: Stanley Dempster Smith

Depth: Peake, Eddy, McQualter, Simpkin, Heyne, Lynch, Walsh, Pattison, Winmar, new draftees etc
Retire: Baker, Gardiner, Smith

The backline plays roughly the same with Dawson at FB and depending on match ups either Blake, Gwilt or Fisher to take the talls and the others to provide rebound. However id like a young guy to take on bakers role, either miles or geary. And possibly Gram/Clarke/alot of options to take on Gilberts half back role.

The centre line is amazing.

The Forward line shouldn't rely on Riewoldt to always be the lead up target, and i'd like Gilbert to develop into this role, allowing Riewoldt to play deeper. The other target would be either Kozzi/McEvoy/Stanley etc, with Milne and Schneider at their feet, and also a Steven/Armitage type.

The on ball brigade with Hayes and Jones will keep us in good stead, however I don't believe McEvoy is ready to take on the no.1 rucking role. I would prefer for Gardiner to try and give us another year as competitive as this year.

I think with one less on the bench its going to require the ruckmen to rest alot more as a full forward, with a full list of runners on the interchange at most times able to rotate through the midfield and across half back/half forward.

Also with the sub position iv put a running type player in, knowing that if one of the two ruckmen go down, we should be able to cover him with blake pinch hitting in the ruck.

B: Miles - Dawson - Gwilt
HB: Fisher - Blake - Geary
C: Goddard - Hayes - Montagna
HF: Gilbert - Riewoldt - Clarke
F: Steven - Koschitzke - Milne
R: McEvoy - Jones - Dal Santo
INT: Ray - Armitage - Dempster
S: Eddy
EMG: Stanley - Smith - Lynch

Clark and Gilbert on the HFFs? Interesting idea, may work, but where did you come up with it?

FB: Gram Dawson Gwilt
HB: Goddard Fisher Gilbert
C: Ray Dal Santo Montagna
HF: Eddy Riewoldt McQualter
FF: Steven Koschitzke Milne
R: McEvoy Hayes Jones
INT: Clarke Blake Baker
SUB: Armitage

EM: Peake Geary Stanley

And Schneider to come in for McQ/Eddy
Lynch/Stanley/A. Smith/Heyne/Miles/Walsh/Pattison/Simpkin to come in at least once for underperforming players

No space elsewhere, Clarke's two or three turnovers a year (OMG DELIST HIM) won't hurt us that much, plus it's quite clear our foward line is lacking, and this will add some more class and dimension to it.

Besides, Gilbert has alread been tried up there. He seems to go alright although he could kick a little straighter.

HB: Fisher - Simpkin - Gram
HF: Gilbert - Riewoldt - Schneider
F: Steven - Stanley - Milne
INT: Ray - Armitage - Smith
S: Geary
EMG: Peake, Kosi, Walsh[/quote]

Raph must be the only player in the team to have kicked less goals than Steven Baker. Surely you don't just throw them forward for the hell of it, there needs to be some logic there.

Smith has performed well enough in the VFL to get a shot, NAB cup will confirm this. (Maybe Walsh as well). Simpkin to be blooded. Others can come back later in the season if the young ones are struggling.

hang on...where's Gram?

Backs (7)

Sam Fisher, Zac Dawson, James Gwilt, Steven Baker, Jason Blake, Raphael Clarke, Luke Miles

Forwards (7)

Nick Riewoldt, Stephen Milne, Adam Schneider*, Rhys Stanley, Sam Gilbert, Robert Eddy, Jack Steven (*replacement for Schneider - Nick Heyne)

Midfielders & Ruckmen (8)

Ben McEvoy, Justin Koschitzke, Lenny Hayes, Nick Dal Santo, Leigh Montagna, Brendon Goddard, Clinton Jones, Jason Gram

FB: Blake - Dawson - Miles
HB: Gwilt - Fisher - Gram
C: Schneider - Goddard - Montagna
HF: Gilbert - Riewoldt - Dal Santo
FF: MOTLOP* - Stanley - Milne
Foll: Kosi - Jones - Hayes
Int: McEvoy - Steven - Armitage
Sub: Ray
Emg: Geary - Dempster - Smith

*Make it happen Ross :thumbsu:

hang on...where's Gram?

Oh, I'll throw him right in.

He's had a very bad year in terms of his injuries, but that's been the case since 2008 now. Hopefully that groin surgery being out of the way will help him get things right.

Our best 25 in general should be:

HB: Fisher - Blake - Clarke
HF: Schnieder - Riewoldt - Gilbert
INT: Gram - Ray - Armitage
S: Geary
EMG: Eddy - Stanley - Smith

This is assuming the retirement of Baker and Gardiner. If they can play at their best for another year we suddenly get a shitton better.

We have multiple Mr. Fix-its all over the ground. Kosi/Blake can ruck. McEvoy can go forward. Lyon will probably be keen on taking Stanley in, which is fine by me. Dude needs all the experience he can get.

How freaking good does that backline look? Only concern is that Blake is now 30 (?) years old, but his fitness is of no concern now and never has been.

It's common hearing that we have 5-6 players that are really really bad. Can someone point out 5 players in that lineup that wouldn't get a game at Geelong?

Oh, I'll throw him right in.

He's had a very bad year in terms of his injuries, but that's been the case since 2008 now. Hopefully that groin surgery being out of the way will help him get things right.
2009 he was pretty good. 2010 a year he'll want to forget.
If we're 3 or 4 "bottom" players away from Collingwood (Oh, that hurts to say it) then it could be that our youngsters will close the gap. The mudpies have stocked up really well on young exciting players.
No way is our window closing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Dempster, Dawson, Blake
HB: Fisher, Gwilt, Goddard
C: Montagna, Hayes, Gram
HF: Gilbert, Riewoldt, Geary
F: Milne, Stanley, Schnieder*
R: Koschitzke, Dal Santo, Jones
Int: McEvoy, Armitage, Ray
Sub: Steven*
Emg: Baker, Miles, Clarke*

*With Schneider suspension, Steven --> HFF, and Clarke --> Substitute

I think we have to play the kids with OFFENSIVE potential (Armitage, Geary, Steven, Miles, Stanley) instead of those who only do and only ever will provide defence (McQualter, Eddy) and Peake who has absolutely no left foot!

I really hope we start with a younger and more offensive team like this and stick with them through thick and thin. The kids may cost us a game or two early, but I really think it will pay off when they've had 20 games of consistent senior experience going into finals (where I still expect us to be top 4).

B: Dempster, Dawson, Blake
HB: Fisher, Gwilt, Goddard
C: Montagna, Hayes, Gram
HF: Gilbert, Riewoldt, Geary
F: Milne, Stanley, Schnieder
R: Koschitzke, Dal Santo, Jones
Int: McEvoy, Armitage, Ray
Sub: Steven
Emg: Baker, Miles, Clarke

I think we have to play the kids with OFFENSIVE potential (Armitage, Geary, Steven, Miles, Stanley) instead of those who only do and only ever will provide defence (McQualter, Eddy) and Peake who has absolutely no left foot!

I really hope we start with a younger and more offensive team like this and stick with them through thick and thin. The kids may cost us a game or two
early, but I really think it will pay off when they've had 20 games of consistent senior experience going into finals (where I still expect us to be top 4).

Agree. Think of it this way, if collingwood hadn't lost to hawthorn, they hadn't lost a game since Brisbane. Jarryd Blair had a good h+a season and now he's a 12 game premiership medalist.

If there are no injuries, and the kids aren't massively out of form, Steven, Armo, Geary and Miles should play 90%+ of games, while Smith, Simpkin, Walsh, eddy Gaertner, Lynch, Heyne and Stanley should get a lot more opportunity and be rewarded for good VFL form.

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Blake
HB: Gilbert, Fisher, Gram
C: Goddard, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Geary, Riewoldt, McQualter
F: Steven, Kosi, Milne
R: McEvoy, Jones, Dal Santo

Inter: Gardiner, Ray, Peake
Sub: Dempster

Emer: Clarke, Armitage, Stanley, Eddy

Round 1 Line-Up

B:
Jason Blake, Zac Dawson, Sam Gilbert
HB: Jason Gram, Sam Fisher, Luke Miles
C: Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo, Farren Ray
HF: Brett Peake, Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Jack Steven, Justin Koschitzke, Stephen Milne
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Lenny Hayes, Clinton Jones
I/C: David Armitage, James Gwilt, Robert Eddy
Sub: Jarryn Geary
Emg: Steven Baker, Rhys Stanley, Raphael Clarke

Schneider will come back at the expense of Robert Eddy**

Baker is in our best 22. He has signed a contract for 2011.

Just because he signed a contract for next year doesnt mean he's in out best 22. I personally think the speed of the game has gone past him especially with the new interchange rules coming in. Ill be honest when i was doing my side his name didnt even come into calculations. Who do you take out to put him in though?

B: Jason Blake, Zac Dawson, Jarryn Geary
HB: Gwilt, Sam Fisher, Luke Miles
C: Brendon Goddard, Nick Dal Santo, Farren Ray
HF: Raph Clarke , Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna
F: Jack Steven, Rhys Stanley, Stephen Milne
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Lenny Hayes, Clinton Jones
I/C: David Armitage, Robert Eddy, J.Kosi
Sub: Tommy Walsh
Emg: Brett Peake

Schneider will come back at the expense of Robert Eddy or Tommy Walsh

I like Gram and he is exciting to watch but just when you thjink he is going to do something special he lacks finishing skills which is why I leave him out in order for us to bring along a youngster.

Just because he signed a contract for next year doesnt mean he's in out best 22. I personally think the speed of the game has gone past him especially with the new interchange rules coming in. Ill be honest when i was doing my side his name didnt even come into calculations. Who do you take out to put him in though?

you've got to be kidding. Before he was suspended he was arguably our best backman

The new interchange rules will reduce the pace of the game though?

Baker is easily still in the best 22. Go back and look at his form prior to his suspension. Wonderful.

1st GF. Very good.

He is our best small defender.

Baker is very good within his limitations.
If we want a tagger in the backline, my first choice is Baker.
If his opponent is likely to be too tall or too fast my choice becomes Dempster.
I don't like having both in the team at the same time, we end up with too many negating-non attacking players. If a player like Luke Miles can perform a tagging role he may be a better option than both.

You'd have to consider him, he was average in GF2 but with a pre-season he'll be good for 2011. Very reliable and that's what we want.

Dempster HAS to play I think, he's underrated as a pure defender. Love the idea of him freeing up rebounding opportunities for Fisher/Gilbert/Miles. (who I see as coming on in 2011 with a few more chances) Dempster is very restrictive, composed and can play under pressure as shown in both GFs. A must for mine.

Steven and Stanley both have to play 20+ games this year.
Don't leave these guns on the sidelines. Even if Stanley plays sub, and can go forward when need be if any of our big men go down.

I hate putting these things up for fear of ridicule!!!:eek::eek: But here goes, this is my side, as I would like ot for round 3!!!!

B: Miles Dawson Baker
HB: Clarke Fisher Gwilt
C: Joey Hayes Steven
HF: Gilbert Roo Goddard
F: Milne Stanley Schneider
R: Kosi Jones Dal
I: Armo, Ray/Gram, Eddy/Geary
INT: Blake

Goddard and Gilbert to take it in turns pushing up onto and behind the ball. If we can get 30+ Goals from each for the year it will be a big win. Both can take contested marks and BJ is a dead eye dick in front of goal. The back loses some dash with Gilbo up forward but hopefully Miles, Clarke and Gwilt can make up for this and they will need to be used as kickers on the way out.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 2011 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back