Round 1 2011 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes from GF side.

In; Clarke, Armo, Steven, Geary.

Out; Eddy, McQalter, Peake, Blake.

We can't play Dempster, Bakes, Dawson and Blake in the same team. None of them take the game on.

With the new interchange rule and Dempster's tall or small capabilities he stays in.

Means Gilbert has to stay back but he is a backman.

If Gardner retires then I'm happy for Kosi to ruck, swapping with Big Mac on the bench. Blake still out and Stanley to FF.

All four dropped will obviously still come back in, and compete with Miles and Lynch for spots as well.

If we draft a ready made midfielder then he can be the substitute instead of Geary.

B: Baker, Dawson, Blake
HB: Fisher, Gwilt, Gilbert
C: Montagna, Dal Santo, Gram
HF: Schnieder, Riewoldt, Goddard
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Steven
R: McEvoy, Hayes, Jones
Int: Heyne, Armitage, Ray
Sub: Geary
Emg: Mini, Eddy, Peake

Same Back Six, they've been better than good enough for two and a half years, so don't change what isn't broken.

Only real changes are a youth injection of Heyne, Armo, and Steven, omitting Peake, Eddy McQualter.

I genuinly like Mini and Eddy, I want Mini to spend more time in the middle (like Schnieds 2010) and Eddy only needs a goal a game to cement a spot, which was Mini 2009.
Peake needs to figure out he is left footed

I think you'll find Gilbert won't play forward next year, not in round one anyway - proven down back and Ross will back our forwards in.

Just my thinking despite me thinking he would be great down there.

I think you'll find Gilbert won't play forward next year, not in round one anyway - proven down back and Ross will back our forwards in.

The only thing that could see him get a birth in Round 1 up forward is the absence of Adam Schneider through suspension. While I think that we could line up with a forward line of:

McQualter Riewoldt Peake
Steven Koschitzke Milne

...we could try something out (although we do have Geelong Round 1 apparantly) and go with a different set up of:

Lynch Riewoldt Gilbert
Steven Koschitzke Milne

...which to me looks more potent. We could use Clarke/Miles/Peake down back to cover for Gilbert. Stanley could play in Lynch's spot but with all the talls we have as well as only 3 interchange players, he would become a liability. You could also throw Walsh, McQualter, Peake, Eddy or a number of other players there (Goddard?) but Lynch could make the third tall spot (not that he's overly tall) his own in 2011. Would probably be ready for AFL now.

However, with that attacking potency could come with a loss in defensive potency. Lynch wasn't exactly terrific on Fletcher early in the season.

Food for thought I guess...

The only thing that could see him get a birth in Round 1 up forward is the absence of Adam Schneider through suspension. While I think that we could line up with a forward line of:

McQualter Riewoldt Peake
Steven Koschitzke Milne

...we could try something out (although we do have Geelong Round 1 apparantly) and go with a different set up of:

Lynch Riewoldt Gilbert
Steven Koschitzke Milne

...which to me looks more potent. We could use Clarke/Miles/Peake down back to cover for Gilbert. Stanley could play in Lynch's spot but with all the talls we have as well as only 3 interchange players, he would become a liability. You could also throw Walsh, McQualter, Peake, Eddy or a number of other players there (Goddard?) but Lynch could make the third tall spot (not that he's overly tall) his own in 2011. Would probably be ready for AFL now.

However, with that attacking potency could come with a loss in defensive potency. Lynch wasn't exactly terrific on Fletcher early in the season.

Food for thought I guess...

It doesn't have to though. If we could say that McQualter was going to kick 20 goals again, like he did in 09, then I'd say go with him but we need a sign that this will happen. Personally I'd rather a defensive forward who can also be a marking target and kick 30 or 40.
But we don't need to/and shouldnt throw the defensive game out with the bathwater. Having said that it's not an incredibly hard role to play and it could be worth giving any of Steven, Walsh, Lynch, Smith, or even Armitage a try there. Not sure how good they all are at contested marking, its a big weakness in our team IMO. Outside the backline people who have a good chance of winning a marking contest are BJ (duh), Ray, Riewoldt, Milne, and Schnieder, the latter two being very good but obviously restricted by their height.

interesting Mick Arse-House is playing him forwardish in the IR this year.

not that it means a huge amount, but his forward drifting has obviously caught eyes.

I'd leave him where he is most of the time and float BJ more often as I think BJ is more accurate (thats not gilbos fault but he kicks for goal like a backman).

However if gilbo gets a few tips over summer i see no reason he couldn't drift occasionally its just I like him where he is more.

I still think we need to play Riewoldt closer to goal now and play Stanley further up the ground. Stanley's tank should be bigger in 2011.

The only thing is I don't think that we can carry all of McEvoy, Gardiner, Stanley and Kosi in the same side. Considering there'll be three on the bench, maybe put one in as a sub.

Gardiner will play if fit, he's still our number 1 ruckman in my mind and him going on in 2011 would be an absolute waste if he wasn't out on the park.

I think we can carry one of McEvoy, Stanley and Kosi in the same team, with two being the absolute most we can take in of those players.

So, who sits out? Consider that we need a backup ruckman and a full forward, keeping in mind it will be hard to carry all of Gardiner+Koschitzke+McEvoy+Blake considering the lowered rotations and carrying taller players would come at the expense of run which is the reason we left McEvoy out of the 1st GF.

However...

Stanley Riewoldt Milne
Steven Koschitzke Schneider (possibly McQualter for round 1)

Rovers: Gardiner Hayes Jones
Interchange: McEvoy Armitage Clarke

It feels too tall to me but it's feasible to an extent.

Its a bit of a question mark.
1. Do we use a third of the rotations on a ruck?
2. Do we try to get by with 1 ruck and a relief ruck in the forward line.

Option 1 means that we could Play Either Stanley or Kosi in the forward line, and both of McEvoy and Gardiner in the Ruck. But as stated we have less relief for our midfielders.

Option 2 means that we would go with Gardiner as a ruck and Kosi as relief ( with maybe BJ or Goddard going forward when Kosi rucks ).
It means we have more run, but it means both of Stanley and McEvoy dont get a game if we pick the best side.

I'm kind of tending towards option 2, but we would need to rotate the players, (could be good to rest Gardiner a fair bit anyway ). Valid combinations could be Gardiner/Kosi, Gardiner/Stanley, McEvoy/Kosi. Unless Stanley beefs up a hell of a lot I don't like the McEvoy/Stanley combo too much at the moment.

One question that's playing on my mind is...

Being in a make-or-break period in their footballing lives, do we NEED to play McEvoy and Stanley?

Something is telling me we have to play Macca but is he in our best 22 (21+sub) in 2011?

I think, considering Gardiner is still weighing up whether to go round again, that the planning should be for McEvoy as the primary ruckman, Kosi as the backup ruckman/forward, Stanley at CHF, and Riewoldt at FF.

I think, considering Gardiner is still weighing up whether to go round again, that the planning should be for McEvoy as the primary ruckman, Kosi as the backup ruckman/forward, Stanley at CHF, and Riewoldt at FF.

I see that as a dilemma.
If we take Gardiner out of the equation.
I would tend to consider that ( with reduced bench ) we should try to go have a main ruck and a relieving forward, rather than a second ruck on the bench.
Otherwise we will be rotating 2 player through the midfield while the likes of Collingwood rotate 3 ( and possibly substitute a fresh mid later in the game).

If it's just the 2 we are probably best with Kosi and McEvoy.
But then how do we get games into Stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that as a dilemma.
If we take Gardiner out of the equation.
I would tend to consider that ( with reduced bench ) we should try to go have a main ruck and a relieving forward, rather than a second ruck on the bench.
Otherwise we will be rotating 2 player through the midfield while the likes of Collingwood rotate 3 ( and possibly substitute a fresh mid later in the game).

If it's just the 2 we are probably best with Kosi and McEvoy.
But then how do we get games into Stanley.

Yeah I agree, Stanley is just going to have to push Kozi out. We can't play all three.

Yeah I agree, Stanley is just going to have to push Kozi out. We can't play all three.

Thats the dilemma though. Is Stanley good enough as second ruck?
We all saw McEvoy vs Jolly and it wasn't pretty.
Kosi at least holds his own.

Maybe the team will need to adopt a horses for courses approach.

Ruck are a big dangerzone.

We lost King, Pattison and McGrath

We could still lose Gardiner.

We have McEvoy, Kosi, Stanley and Gaertner. Only McEvoy is a full time ruck from those 4. Blake and (I think) Archer have been pinch hitting in the ruck, at AFL and VFL Respectively.

Scenario 1: McEvoy/Kosi. Stanley, New ruck and/or Gaertner become 3rd Ruckman. Blake offers support. McEvoy gets development, Kosi plays Ruck come forward. Injury depth my biggest concern.

Scenario 2: Gardiner/Kosi. McEvoy number 3, with Stanley and Gaertner Depth. Most likely to get us to the big one, and win it, but we lose out on a lot of development for McEvoy.

Scenario 3: Gardiner/McEvoy. Kosi Number 3 or Key Forward. Stanley/Gaertner/ New ruck depth. Best ruck combo, but lose out on mobility and versatility, in a new setup which requires it.

Unfortunately for Gardiner, scenario 1 is probably the best for the club, even though its unlikely for us to win a premiership.

Ruck are a big dangerzone.

We lost King, Pattison and McGrath

We could still lose Gardiner.

We have McEvoy, Kosi, Stanley and Gaertner. Only McEvoy is a full time ruck from those 4. Blake and (I think) Archer have been pinch hitting in the ruck, at AFL and VFL Respectively.

Scenario 1: McEvoy/Kosi. Stanley, New ruck and/or Gaertner become 3rd Ruckman. Blake offers support. McEvoy gets development, Kosi plays Ruck come forward. Injury depth my biggest concern.

Scenario 2: Gardiner/Kosi. McEvoy number 3, with Stanley and Gaertner Depth. Most likely to get us to the big one, and win it, but we lose out on a lot of development for McEvoy.

Scenario 3: Gardiner/McEvoy. Kosi Number 3 or Key Forward. Stanley/Gaertner/ New ruck depth. Best ruck combo, but lose out on mobility and versatility, in a new setup which requires it.

Unfortunately for Gardiner, scenario 1 is probably the best for the club, even though its unlikely for us to win a premiership.

If Gardiner is fit and decides to play on, Im pretty sure the club will use him. Stanley, Gaertner, and Archer have plenty to work on with their body's and careers without worrying about rucking at AFL level.

You can talk about different scenarios until the cows come home. The fact of the matter is though (IMHO), is that if we are to improve on the last 2 years we need Stanley, Armitage and Steven in the starting 22 from round 1. The guys they would be replacing would still be getting games due to injuries and suspension.

As far as Kosi is concerned, he is very lucky the sub rule has come in. He is the perfect candidate. He gets that role every week and comes on fresh as a daisy at the start of third quater replacing possibly an ageing and tiring Gardiner.

If Stanley, Armitage and Steven do not play the whole year then Ross Lyon is kidding himself (In My Honest Opinion).

You can talk about different scenarios until the cows come home. The fact of the matter is though (IMHO), is that if we are to improve on the last 2 years we need Stanley, Armitage and Steven in the starting 22 from round 1. The guys they would be replacing would still be getting games due to injuries and suspension.

As far as Kosi is concerned, he is very lucky the sub rule has come in. He is the perfect candidate. He gets that role every week and comes on fresh as a daisy at the start of third quater replacing possibly an ageing and tiring Gardiner.

If Stanley, Armitage and Steven do not play the whole year then Ross Lyon is kidding himself (In My Honest Opinion).

Armitage started last season, and played every game until he was dropped. It was bad luck he was injured, because I'm sure he would have come back in and played a part in the finals. ( You can't blame the injury on being dropped, injuries can happen anywhere ).
I agree regarding Steven, he was certainly very good when he played last season. I wonder if he can play a whole season OK, maybe a couple of weeks rest after mid season would be needed.

The sub worries me. I guess a sub-ruckman is probably better than tieing up a spot on the bench, but if anyone apart from Gardiner or Stanley or Riewoldt is injured he's not much use.

I keep hearing his name said or written incorrectly, and it's a pet peeve of mine, so sorry for any unintended harshness.

Can I have special permission to spell "Kosi's" name wrong. I just can't get my head around it.
Steven is pretty basic though.
And that other guy Edison Robinson.

No space elsewhere, Clarke's two or three turnovers a year (OMG DELIST HIM) won't hurt us that much, plus it's quite clear our foward line is lacking, and this will add some more class and dimension to it.

Besides, Gilbert has alread been tried up there. He seems to go alright although he could kick a little straighter.

Why don't the St.Kilda match committee, I mean moderators, jump all over LJ for his honesty concerning Raph Clarke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 2011 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back