Unofficial Preview Round 1, 2023: Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG 3.20pm March 19th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baffled that CMac and Ward are on the bench and Bramble is starting. Thought both of those lads outperformed Lachlan across the preseason games. Think CMac might be the sub with Scrim, Tyler and Long missing out.

Will need goals from a few of our mids. Defence looks solid. Worps and Amon need to lead the way in the middle. Nervously optimistic.

After all the talk about MacDonald and Ward having great preseasons, and Day being moved into the middle, I daresay they will all feature heavily. Hopefully it's just Mitchell playing funny buggers.

HAWTHORN

B:
C.Jiath 9 J.Blanck 36 S.Frost 8
HB: J.Impey 4 J.Sicily - C 6 W.Day 12
C: L.Bramble 16 J.Newcombe 3 K.Amon 10
HF: C.Mackenzie 28 J.Koschitzke 23 L.Breust 22
F: C.Wingard 20 F.Greene 26 D.Moore 13
Foll: L.Meek 17 F.Maginness 32 J.Worpel 5
I/C: N.Reeves 7 C.Nash 11 J.Ward 25 N.Long 27 B.Hardwick 15 C.Macdonald 31 T.Brockman 33 J.Scrimshaw 14

New faces: Karl Amon, Fergus Greene, Cam Mackenzie, Lloyd Meek
Notable absentees: Mitch Lewis, Harry Morrison

It’s good to see that Brockman isn’t too far away from playing. He will add so much to the forward-line. I feel like he’s the small forward that can really make a difference.

Is it a tactic, or are they just throwing names blindfolded onto a whiteboard and being like, yep.. those are our names?
It’s been happening for years and it’s a tactic albeit a very small one, it also makes sense to name the 4 players that were released by the club that are debuting Sunday to be named on the field as it keeps the other team guessing on who will play.

If any one of those was named on the bench then it’s one less player that they have to plan for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a tactic, or are they just throwing names blindfolded onto a whiteboard and being like, yep.. those are our names?
Someone has to start on the bench and we’ve never ranked players in order of preference with our worst on the bench so it’s weird people are baffled by this. Happened all last year and under Clarko too.

All those playing will know exactly who they are, the extended bench is pretty meaningless and sometimes just a carrot for those that have trained well.

Community announcement.

where they are named on the team sheet means FA come game day.

I thought that only applies to the starting 18? As in if you're named on the bench you have to start there.

If I'm right with this, I can't recall the last time Hardwick started on the bench. And if Scrimshaw isn't named in the 22, it's imo a clear message by Sam.

Anyone named in the 22 can start on the field.

It’s just that the extended interchange of 8 will make up the last 4 spots and the 18 named on the field will play unless a late withdrawal happens.

The sub will come from one of the emergencies once the final team is released tomorrow night.
I thought that only applies to the starting 18? As in if you're named on the bench you have to start there.

If I'm right with this, I can't recall the last time Hardwick started on the bench. And if Scrimshaw isn't named in the 22, it's imo a clear message by Sam.

When was Hardwick last named on the bench?
Someone has to start on the bench and we’ve never ranked players in order of preference with our worst on the bench so it’s weird people are baffled by this. Happened all last year and under Clarko too.

All those playing will know exactly who they are, the extended bench is pretty meaningless and sometimes just a carrot for those that have trained well.

Posters who get to training and are ITK have been saying for the past 2 months he’ll unlikely be in the best 22, no message is needed at this point, Scrim would know exactly where he stands.

Posters who get to training and are ITK have been saying for the past 2 months he’ll unlikely be in the best 22, no message is needed at this point, Scrim would know exactly where he stands.

You didn't need to attend training or be ITK to realise that mate, only follow team selection in the intra and listen to the coaching group around Bramble. He also played as bad a game as you'd see in a while against the cats in match sim.

Personally, I posted end of last season in Srimmas thread he'd need to evolve given our talent coming underneath at half-back.

I agree Srim would know. I also believe the reality of it is a message. Maybe one he'll take time to get. Being a free willing half-back is so easy in modern AFL.

Anyway, nothing discussion really.

Last edited:
Bramble being so highly rated he's not even on the extended bench is a bit of a surprise, honestly.
Not for me. Sammy obviously loves his kicking and running ability. Season 2021 he was looking really promising before an injury interrupted season last year. Happy to see him selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back