Preview Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Saturday 16th March, 7:30PM AEDT *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue that whilst Sinclair is probably our best player (in 2023) he is not the most important player in the team.

Marshall, Steele and Wilkie are all far more important.

Yes Best and Important are often different.

Most important I agree is Marshall.

Sincs went past Steele last season in both best and most important. It is up to Steele to go past Sincs in either or both categories this season. If he does we should have a good year.

Wilkie is very important, but personally I would have Sincs in front as he is just so good both offensively and defensively, plus can do bursts through the midfield where he has turned games. Sincs is the smartest ball user at the Club.

Last edited:
I'd argue that whilst Sinclair is probably our best player (in 2023) he is not the most important player in the team.

And King.

And King.

I think you may mean "potentially" more important. King could become our most important player, he has the capability to be in our top 4. He just has to deliver on it now.

He is fitter and stronger, will be 24 this season and nearing 100 games by season's end. He needs to just knuckle down now, and to lead more. He Sharman and Membrey gelled together well in the practice games.

Fantastic if he does.

Last edited:

Round 1 Side (May forget someone) just trying to guage for each side, so i come in peace

Battle - Cordy - Wilkie
NWM - Bonner - Sinclair (Stocker)

Hill - Steele - Wood (Byrnes)
ROMA - Crouch - Windhaeger (S.Ross)

L.Henry - Membrey - Pou (D.Wilson)
Owens - King - Higgins

H.Clark*
D.Howard*
Butler*
Webster*
Paton*

Assumed all unavailable

Id like to see Sinc as a full time mid, but maybe without a few defenders he is eased back there to start as Ross is a better cover in the midfield

Still think Zak Jones at 28 would offer something? Isnt he tough, quick, agile, can play half back or onball, breaks lines and should be in the peak of his powers
Fantastic breakdown.

Jones a super sub?

It would be risk that the powers that be may not be prepared to take.
Jones has had an extremely interrupted preseason & didn’t play in either practice match.
Although Crouch didn’t play either, at least he played in the match sim & performed well.
Windhager, Phillipou and Sinclair will be an interesting watch next week at training!
From training reports I dont remember Jones missing a session of the preseason until he was concussed so I think his conditioning would be good. I could be misremembering though.

I think you may mean "potentially" more important. King could become our most important player, he has the capability to be in our top 4. He just has to deliver on it now.

He is fitter and stronger, will be 24 this season and nearing 100 games by season's end. He needs to just knuckle down now, and to lead more. He Sharman and Membrey gelled together well in the practice games.

Fantastic if he does.
Big year for Max, needs to announce himself as the bonafide DP4 marquee forward you can build a team around that he was drafter for.

Can no longer hide behind the excuse "he's still young"

Probably 60 goals minimum is a pass mark

From training reports I dont remember Jones missing a session of the preseason until he was concussed so I think his conditioning would be good. I could be misremembering though.
He’s missed numerous sessions plus ones he did do were running laps.
He’d look good in some match sim then would miss the next session
Unfortunately he’s just not durable enough to be an inside mid & doesn’t have the 2 way run & kicking/ decision making to cut it on the outside…big decision to be made on him end of the season!

Unfortunately he’s just not durable enough to be an inside mid & doesn’t have the 2 way run & kicking/ decision making to cut it on the outside…big decision to be made on him end of the season!
Not that big a decision really.

Sinclair is vital for the link between the 2 arcs…his decision making & foot skills are elite

GWS and GCS showed that the 45 kick into the corridor with run and carry in a wave is a way to isolate and bring fwds into much easier contests.
Carlton and Bris did at times.

Richmond Melbourne and Pies looked plodding pedestrian and predictable.
Clear trend is you need speed on the ball.

Sincs Nas Hill do that if Henry and Wilson add to that we will look like the RWB Torrent we all know how much Cats hate water.

Do that and we will be fun to watch all year

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sinclair is vital for the link between the 2 arcs…his decision making & foot skills are elite
I don't disagree, but we have a few players who can fill that role, not as good but still serviceable.

If we lose Wilkie or Marshall we're stuffed. Steele is the glue of our already thin stoppage work, so he's up there too.

Your point is a very good one as to why he shouldn't be switched into a full time midfield role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I am now going to the Cats game.

I have not been to Kardinia Park for many years.

How is carpaking there? I have looked online and so there is some info there, but how long before the ball bounces would you recommend that you arrive to be sure of parking within a reasonable walking distance of the venue?

Any other tips of carparking at or near KP would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How is carpaking there? I have looked online and so there is some info there, but how long before the ball bounces would you recommend that you arrive to be sure of parking within a reasonable walking distance of the venue?

Thanks in advance.
I was wondering the exact same thing.

Thanks in advance.
Hope you have a great night and you drive home happy with a win!

Thanks in advance.
You will probably end up parking a decent walk from the ground somewhere in the South Geelong area. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to catch the train from Southern Cross to South Geelong station using Myki and walk up to the ground- no parking or traffic hassles,

Round 1 Side (May forget someone) just trying to guage for each side, so i come in peace

Battle - Cordy - Wilkie
NWM - Bonner - Sinclair (Stocker)

Hill - Steele - Wood (Byrnes)
ROMA - Crouch - Windhaeger (S.Ross)

L.Henry - Membrey - Pou (D.Wilson)
Owens - King - Higgins

H.Clark*
D.Howard*
Butler*
Webster*
Paton*

Assumed all unavailable

Id like to see Sinc as a full time mid, but maybe without a few defenders he is eased back there to start as Ross is a better cover in the midfield

Still think Zak Jones at 28 would offer something? Isnt he tough, quick, agile, can play half back or onball, breaks lines and should be in the peak of his powers
Sinclair has a license to play pretty much as a loose defender, which means he’s a play maker anyway.
He’s not a clearance player so playing him as a full time mid maybe detrimental to our fortunes!
As the boss has said, it’s a break glass measure putting Sincs into the midfield.

Thanks in advance.
I unfortunately go to a few cats games every year with my Wife and father in-law.

We enter at the St Mary's Footy ground (ground next to GMHBA) usually quite cheap. Recommend getting there early. Plenty of pubs around to have a beer/meal before the game.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't disagree, but we have a few players who can fill that role, not as good but still serviceable.

If we lose Wilkie or Marshall we're stuffed. Steele is the glue of our already thin stoppage work, so he's up there too.

Your point is a very good one as to why he shouldn't be switched into a full time midfield role.
Fair to say all these players are important..

Agree with all of that. Though, I think TC would do an ok job. If Wilkie misses then we may as well pack up and go home. I feel like it all revolves around him.

GWS and GCS showed that the 45 kick into the corridor with run and carry in a wave is a way to isolate and bring fwds into much easier contests.
Carlton and Bris did at times.

Richmond Melbourne and Pies looked plodding pedestrian and predictable.
Clear trend is you need speed on the ball.

Sincs Nas Hill do that if Henry and Wilson add to that we will look like the RWB Torrent we all know how much Cats hate water.

Do that and we will be fun to watch all year

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

GWS spread so well that they look like they always have space. You don’t even need speed when you all work to open up. It helps to have good users so that you don’t get exposed back the other way though.

GWS spread so well that they look like they always have space. You don’t even need speed when you all work to open up. It helps to have good users so that you don’t get exposed back the other way though.
When you've got players who win it consistently on the inside then you can have others who just hold their width and find space. Extra bodies around the ball = working harder on the spread. Players like Tom Green are still worth their weight in gold in the modern fast transition game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back