Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

One good thing going into next year there will be some stiff competition for spots all round the ground.
Keep injuries to a minimum, obviously not something you can know, and those that make the best 23 will need to play to keep their spots.
Credits in the bank will be all but a memory you would think with a fresh new HC.

FB - Hough Edwards Cole
HB - Ginbey Gov Baker
M - Maric Yeo Hunt
HF - Ryan Allen JWilliam
FF - Owies Loosh Cripps
R - Flynn Reid Kelly

B - Graham Hutch Duggan Bwilliams Dewar
E - Chesser Petch Brockman

Could swap Bwilliams for one of the Emergencies depending if we want 2 rucks.

Couldn't include players we haven't drafted yet or those that haven't played for nearly a year in Long, Sheed and Hewett, need to see them get through a pre-season first.

Those knocking on the door if you don't perform, Hall, Johnston, Reid, Bazzo, Jamieson and who knows who else will take a big step this year.

If we can field that team, or close to, and have everyone fit and firing there is every chance we can be very competitive.
Good mix of youth and experience in all lines.

Picture it: Round 1 vs the Saints at home.
Starting Mid of Flynn, Reid, Graham and Yeo.
Windhanger is hanging off Reid before the siren even sounds and the umpire gives him a knowing wink (I see nothink!).
Ball goes up, Graham crosses right behind Reid and levels Windhanger with the People's elbow, and Flynn in his follow through lands 2 knees into his kidneys.
Reid bursts onto the ball, stiff arms 4 opponents, take 3 bounces and kicks goal of the year with the first possession of 2025.
Graham gets a 6 week holiday, nobody is game to go near Reid for the rest of the season and he goes on to get the Brownlow/Norm Smith double and take WC to an unthinkable 5th flag.
Clarke gets a statue built out the front of Gate 3 at Optus.

Make it happen Mini.

erection GIF

Fox Footy have dropped theirs:

B: T.Cole, H.Edwards, B.Hough

HB: J.Hunt, J.McGovern, L.Baker

C: L.Duggan, E.Yeo, R.Ginbey

HF: J.Graham, J.Waterman, L.Ryan

F: M.Owies, O.Allen, J.Cripps

FOLL: B.Williams, T.Kelly, H.Reid

I/C: J.Williams, J.Hutchinson, E.Hewett, J.Petruccelle, C.Chesser

Not too far off I don’t think - Ginbey probably heads back as the 3rd tall.

No Noah Long but he’s a wait and see I think on where he fits - talent but yet to nail a position.

They noted choosing Williams over Flynn - I would agree with this initially but it’s gotta be up for grabs in the Pre-season.

So yeah.

Our depth is horrifying. 😬

I find it quite surprising how many people believe Tom Cole is in our B22. Given Baker has come in and Duggan is predicted to go back to defense then you would assume he is surplus to needs in the backline.... possibly mini could re-deploy him into the career-ruining, team-first wing role that all the younger players get assigned to and never work out how to play.

I feel like WCE needs to field it's strongest team with the inclusion of the most in-form youngsters (5-7 max) for the first part of the season. Wins early season will help us get Harley's signature and we need to create selection integrity for our AFL team.

Improving the competitiveness of the Beagles is a huge priority and having players like Tom Cole and Sheed in there will definitely help. As long as Mini has a Voss-like entry and gives everyone a blank canvas and picks the team based on form and game style fit.

I find it quite surprising how many people believe Tom Cole is in our B22. Given Baker has come in and Duggan is predicted to go back to defense then you would assume he is surplus to needs in the backline.... possibly mini could re-deploy him into the career-ruining, team-first wing role that all the younger players get assigned to and never work out how to play.

I feel like WCE needs to field it's strongest team with the inclusion of the most in-form youngsters (5-7 max) for the first part of the season. Wins early season will help us get Harley's signature and we need to create selection integrity for our AFL team.

Improving the competitiveness of the Beagles is a huge priority and having players like Tom Cole and Sheed in there will definitely help. As long as Mini has a Voss-like entry and gives everyone a blank canvas and picks the team based on form and game style fit.

If Cole is going out, Baker in and Duggan heading back again, who is in the middle?

I would expect both Baker and Duggan to spend time in the middle. Still likely to be a place for Cole in the backline as an experienced small defender.

By the by - this is a Round 1 thread - will Cole be in our B23 for Round 1?

More likely than unlikely.

What makes people think Liam Baker is a HB btw? He has spent all year at HF/Midfield.

Tom Cole is ultra versatile on who he can match up on. If we drop him then Hough moves over to that role which isnt a best use of his talents.

We wanna bring Baker in to help nurture young talent and then people wanna drop Tom Cole who is doing the same thing. Makes no sense

Didnt see or hear that.

Thats fricken disappointing. Makes his signing even dumber then it was before
Not really.

He said that in response to the interviewer's questions, because he said the forward line already has a lot of talent/is stacked, especially since we just picked up Owies.

I imagine he'll rotate through there also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1, 2025: Starting 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back