Preview Round 1: Bulldogs vs Fremantle, March 27 2016, Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sick of the AFL and supporters calling for a shoot out type of game and changing the rules to make it happen. The 10 metre area around the mark,the deliberate out of bounds, the defenders nearly impossible task to spoil the forward. Its getting like cricket with the flat pitches and making it all in the batsmen favour with the bowlers finding it harder and harder to get wickets. Test cricket and 50 over is now boring as bat shit. Footy is going to go the same way.
Totally agree. That's why I detest the 9 point "super" goal rule and I wish they just get rid of it. I read recently that it is going to be used in the women's league. Why not reward the snap over the shoulder from the boundary line with 9 points? like the one Bennell kicked in the WAFL last week. With 20/20 cricket they've boiled it down to batsmen hitting sixes on flat wickets. But that is getting so tedious the commentators now feel the need to tell us how far they've hit is past the boundary. 95m, 100m, 105m who gives a $hit? Every aspect of any given sport is important to the fabric of that sport. I love the first session of a test match with the ball moving all over the place and the ball whistling past the edge of the bat, it's enthralling. I don't need to see 105m sixes to stay engaged. Similarly there's nothing like a good low scoring arm wrestle between two top flight sides. Anyway, rant over, back on topic... Weller good, Clancee bad. ;)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams

Full teams for this weekend.

Fremantle the only team in the league with no debuts.

Hawks have 2, including first year player Blake Hardwick.

For Freo's team, every player selected this weekend has been with the club since at least 2011, with the exception of Weller and Taberner.

Most of your debuts are only new to the club.

GWS Steve Johnson new at the club. GCS have both Rosa and Davis have played AFL before. Roos have Jed Anderson new to the club. Pies only have Treloar who may not even play due to injury. Port have two new recruits have are both AFL experienced. West Coast have Kane Lucas who apparently is an AFL player, but I'm yet to see it (and Redden). Brisbane and Cats are playing experienced players who are new to the club.

Also, Hawks have a squad of 25, their shiny new toys may not even make the 22.

GWS Steve Johnson new at the club. GCS have both Rosa and Davis have played AFL before. Roos have Jed Anderson new to the club. Pies only have Treloar who may not even play due to injury. Port have two new recruits have are both AFL experienced. West Coast have Kane Lucas who apparently is an AFL player, but I'm yet to see it (and Redden). Brisbane and Cats are playing experienced players who are new to the club.

Slam. Good response.

We've also got the oldest team.

Not my debuts.

But yeah I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that our team is basically identical to what it has been for the last 3 years, whereas other teams have changed.

E.G Compare our team that's playing this week to the Freo/Hawks Grand Final in 2013. Our team is basically the same, Taberner is the only new player. Hawks have about 6 changes.

I think the new rule changes are less about high scoring per se and more about manufacturing one on one football rather than 'weight of numbers around the ball' football. The people in charge of the game now all grew up watching Flower vs Grieg or Knights vs van der Haar and rightly or wrongly see them as the halcyon days
I'll be really interested to watch our game, eventually the rule changers will win and the physical limitations of men will be overcome, so that at least some players will have to stay more in "positions" as they'll be physically incapable of gut running up and down the field all day. You'll always still have guys that can run half marathons every week and roam the field but they'll be in the minority. But watching last night's game I am not sure we have reached that tipping point yet, which I guess is why Weller isn't an automatic lock for best 22 as talent wise he is so far ahead of Mzungu, the Pearces and de Boer it isn't funny

I think we need to balance our way of playing new toy. 2013 new toy become unuse old toy in 2016. Furthermore hawthorn playing old toy because they squad is capable to win flag with a bit of luck last season making it to top 4. First game of the season I don't agree playing young player without proper pre season( eg a.Pearce, Langdon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Ydraw makes a very pertinent point. Our team is the same, and we need people to replace DeBoer, Clancee, D Pierce etc if we are to seriously challenge

If that's the point he's making it's a very impertinent point. This is the type of carp that we as Fremantle fans can do better. Stop hating on the role players and start actually watching the games properly.

De Boer has not been in favour throughout the preseason, so if he gets a game, it will be because of good form playing for Peel.
Danyle Pearce (it's not that hard to spell properly) is hated on for no good reason at all. He provides speed and delivers the ball pretty well. Problem is, if you are set against him, then you notice the mistakes. All players make mistakes. It's the proportion that matters.
Clancee has had his opportunities in the preseason. In my opinion he has not delivered, being too slow to react to the game at the moment. But he is of the age where players can provide an effort and an output throughout a game. It takes a very special teenager to replace a mature player because you can not rely on the young blokes to compete for an entire AFL game.
I reckon Weller is that special, but you can't expect a full game from him yet - he's still the Cameo Kid.

If that's the point he's making it's a very impertinent point. This is the type of carp that we as Fremantle fans can do better. Stop hating on the role players and start actually watching the games properly.

I'm not hating on anyone. Finding new players to improve your squad is how you get better. We haven't done that. We are playing the same 21 guys we were playing 3 years ago, and now they are all 3 years older.

Whether this a failing of recruitment or not I don't know, but it's really worrying how little our team has changed in that time.

We are also missing out two main ruck options and Dickson.

Is Liberatore playing? His clearances were great a couple of seasons ago. Actually that (ability to win the hard ball at stoppages) was a strength of your old coach; do you think Beveridge has maintained that advantage?

Is Liberatore playing? His clearances were great a couple of seasons ago. Actually that (ability to win the hard ball at stoppages) was a strength of your old coach; do you think Beveridge has maintained that advantage?
I think it's still up in the air whether or not Libba will play, I'm still a little worried about his match fitness at this stage.

In regard to our hard ball, Bevo last year definitely focused his attention to outside running but it's obviously still something we worked on. But no way near as much under McCartney, we were so focused on the inside stuff under him that we were way too one dimensional.

Not my debuts.

But yeah I'm not sure what your point is. My point is that our team is basically identical to what it has been for the last 3 years, whereas other teams have changed.

E.G Compare our team that's playing this week to the Freo/Hawks Grand Final in 2013. Our team is basically the same, Taberner is the only new player. Hawks have about 6 changes.

You said that we were the only team with no debuts. I pointed out that half the teams were 'debuting' experienced players. If Bennell was fit, he would have been a debut.

From 2013 GF we are not playing Crowley, Duffield and McPharlin, also MJ withdrawing will mean that there are 4 changes. It's quite likely that one of the role players will miss as well (I doubt de Boer or Clancee play).

We are not playing the same 21, at most it's 19 and arguably it will be ~17.

I'm not hating on anyone. Finding new players to improve your squad is how you get better. We haven't done that. We are playing the same 21 guys we were playing 3 years ago, and now they are all 3 years older.

Whether this a failing of recruitment or not I don't know, but it's really worrying how little our team has changed in that time.

So the post I replied to wasn't the point you were making.

I think three years ago Fremantle had a real problem with the depth of their list. The players in the top 22 or so weren't the issue, hence their ability to take Fremantle deep into the finals. But Peel performed terribly, indicating that Fremantle's back up players just weren't good enough.
Yes, our top 22 are very similar, but that is because they continue to perform. The real improvement is in the depth. Weller, Blakely, A. Pearce, Silvagni, de Boer, Hughes, Collins etc could all step up when required and contribute to the team.
Hawthorn have a successful VFL club with a good depth, so they can cover injuries, suspensions successfully, and have their first 22 at peak fitness at the right time of the year. I think that we are getting closer to that situation.

Not my debuts.

Lets have a look why though
Bennell - injured so he can't play
Weller - should play, if he doesn't then obviously his fading out is too big a liability in coaches opinion
Blakely - Didn't put his best foot forward in the Nab and didn't earn a spot over anyone else
Langdon - just come back from injury/flu and didn't cement spot in the Nab
A.Pearce - just came back from injury
Crozier - hasn't done anything this season to make the team
Grey - Is he a better option than Spurr, Sutty and Sherro? probably not
Mora - injured

Those are the players who should probably be pushing for an opportunity this year but none of them are really banging the door down (except Bennell and probably mora before injury)

So the post I replied to wasn't the point you were making.

I think three years ago Fremantle had a real problem with the depth of their list. The players in the top 22 or so weren't the issue, hence their ability to take Fremantle deep into the finals. But Peel performed terribly, indicating that Fremantle's back up players just weren't good enough.
Yes, our top 22 are very similar, but that is because they continue to perform. The real improvement is in the depth. Weller, Blakely, A. Pearce, Silvagni, de Boer, Hughes, Collins etc could all step up when required and contribute to the team.
Hawthorn have a successful VFL club with a good depth, so they can cover injuries, suspensions successfully, and have their first 22 at peak fitness at the right time of the year. I think that we are getting closer to that situation.

I was thinking about this during the week and I see it completely the opposite. Silvagni and de Boer were our depth in 2013 and that hasn't changed the expectations of a lot of posters that all our rookies with no experience are solid depth and are going to come out and automatically replace experienced players is wrong IMO. I don't think we've developed much depth at all, partly because a lot of our 3-6yr draftees didn't make the grade and also the onees that are still here simply don't have the experience.

If we don't give them some consistent footy early in the season then it leaves us exposed later in the year when we are forced to play them due to injuries later on. This has basically happened every year since Lyon got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back