Prediction Round 1: Changes Vs Adelaide Crows + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry over Colyer every single day of the week, you pick the guys who are going to be here in 5 years time. I love Colyer but Henry is more important to have in the team.

I don’t see Rioli, I see Lewis Jetta. Hopefully better, but a quality winger who is constantly hitting up our forwards.
Henry’s the worst player without the footy I’ve ever seen

1st to give up on the chase every time ….. Cyril Rioli ….. give me a break

Seriously is no one watching how teams win flags these days … POWER and PRESSURE

Trade

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Rioli was a great tackler, 5 tackles a game. Highly skilled but low possession count.
Henry has the skills, coaches need to teach him how run both ways and tackle.
If he does then why not?
Maybe Clarkson had a say in it?

Lewis was not tough. But he was super quick.
Probably the most racially vilified player of his era, and continued to play at a very high level.
If that's not tough, I don't know what is.
Go back and listen to what Lyon, Brereton etc used to say to him as they were going against him.
Mentally tough, and he was bloody tough.
Whole family were, from Nollamara, "Knucklemara" in the ammos old discourse.

We've had a game where Henry was outstanding and we won't by almost 100 points with Acres missing and then another game where Acres played really well and Henry didn't get involved.

That the winger who was in space more because the game was played on the opposite wing looked better is purely coincidence.

If Noddy plays a blinder at Peel and Henry has a shit game, what are we going to choose?

If we’d kept Cerra we wouldn’t have been able to afford Clark and Brodie, and wouldn’t have had the pick for Amiss
Johnson came with that Brodie trade as well. And, I think we used one of the 4ths to grab Benning.

Edit - yep, just checked. Pick 54 from Gold Coast Eric 'Roy' Benning.

So, Cerra leaving directly enabled:
Pick 6, Amiss
Pick 19 Johnson
Pick 54 Benning
F3 traded to Geelong as part of the Clark deal
Will Brodie

It sucks Cerra leaving, but that's bloody amazing.

Last edited:
Yep I see Michael Walters replacement. He will entertain, low numbers but
a game changer. Guy is a genius with the ball.
Similar to a Chris Lewis at WC, can go midfield and turn a game.
Familiarity, chemistry, will reap results. Just teach him how to run down, tackle.
That would be great. He seems a little way from that, especially after a fairly quiet season up forward. I don't see any need to rush players, but I also think we should be playing best 22 players who are being productive. If he's doing that, no problem.

If we’d kept Cerra we wouldn’t have been able to afford Clark and Brodie, and wouldn’t have had the pick for Amiss (it might have been Erasmus that we missed out on, certainly 1 of the 2).

I think that makes us a better team in 2022 than if he’d stayed, and also better long term as we’ve picked up positional needs.

just because those players aren’t as good individually as Cerra doesn’t mean the collective isn’t better.
I'm very confident that we will be better in the future due to the Cerra trade however I can't see it improving us for 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but we have Brodie, Tucker and Clark as additions in the side compared to last season. The coach can work with that.
Eh. Clark is the one to replace Cerra given the similarities of outside ball use and speed. Tucker and Brodie are inside only. Tucker is the one that needs to take the next step. Already 70-80 games. Need to show that consistency and elite. Very lucky to be on an AFL list

What a load of bs.

If we're all about making finals, Colyer should be played before Banners and Henry.

Henry has no business being in the 22 on current form. Hates body contact and runs one way. Henry is only getting a gig due to his High profile status from the draft and the fact we reached for him in the draft.

I am sure Henry will be a 150 gamer and have a solid career. But as for now he thinks he's better than he actually is. So do the selectors clearly.
It's better to get games into Henry. Banfield should come out before Henry does however we don't have a medium forward to replace him.

So, I did a bit of research, and at the time of the Henry bid our next pick was Pick 49.

In the hypothetical, we don't match bid for Henry, we retain and use pick 49, and the draft plays out the same (yes - it's a reach), we end up with Callum Jamieson on the list.

Jamieson looks a decent kid and having another ruck on the list certainly wouldn't have hurt but let's be real for a second.

There isn't a person in the country who would take Jamieson over Henry.

That's why matching bids works so well and why clubs do it in a nano-second.

So, I did a bit of research, and at the time of the Henry bid our next pick was Pick 49.

In the hypothetical, we don't match bid for Henry, we retain and use pick 49, and the draft plays out the same (yes - it's a reach), we end up with Callum Jamieson on the list.

Jamieson looks a decent kid and having another ruck on the list certainly wouldn't have hurt but let's be real for a second.

There isn't a person in the country who would take Jamieson over Henry.

That's why matching bids works so well and why clubs do it in a nano-second.
That’s not really how it works though. If Henry wasn’t on the radar, we would not have traded made the earlier pick swaps that gave us pick 49.
Also you are forgetting the 2020 second rounder that we had to trade to Port for picks 52 & 55 to match the bid as well. We could for example, have not matched the bid on Henry, then packaged up our pick 49 plus that 2020 second rounder and moved up around pick 25 or 30 in the 2019 draft, where we could then have access to a player like Jeremy Sharp, Trent Rivers, Harrison Jones or Chad Warner. That would be a fairer comparison in your hypothetical.
I’m Not saying we shouldn’t have taken Henry but he definitely cost us more than the pick used on Cal Jaimeson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 1: Changes Vs Adelaide Crows + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back