Game Day Round 1: Freo vs Geelong @ subi 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The statistics show Fremantle dominated the midfield ruck and clearances.
Any focus on Sandilands is very uneducated given Freo got absolutely obliterated by Turnovers. Take the turnovers away and Freo win that game.
Yeah exactly. Our turnovers and kicking long gave the game to the Cats. Media can rave all they want about the Cats but they won't do anything this year either.

Ross needs to show continual improvement in the team by mid next year as the players learn to gel better (with further turnover at years end) and learn the game plan. I understand the anger at the moment and the optimism of Ross being one of the more astute coaches seems to have dissipated. I still think hes one of the smarter guys out there and he also has the capacity to adjust his craft.

I was never overly optimistic with the aquisition of Kersten as his highlights reel was predominantly soft or uncontested goals wich had been set up nicely. Not his fault, just maybe not quite the kind of player we needed.

Ross needs to show continual improvement in the team by mid next year as the players learn to gel better (with further turnover at years end) and learn the game plan. I understand the anger at the moment and the optimism of Ross being one of the more astute coaches seems to have dissipated. I still think hes one of the smarter guys out there and he also has the capacity to adjust his craft.

I was never overly optimistic with the aquisition of Kersten as his highlights reel was predominantly soft or uncontested goals wich had been set up nicely. Not his fault, just maybe not quite the kind of player we needed.

We can now see why Kerstin wasn't getting a game at Geelong. He was absolutely terrible tonight. Forget being a scoring presence up forward, he could barely even get a clean possession tonight and looked completely over awed.

The stats show that despite our 3:1 hit out advantage, we only convert that into a roughly 1.5:1 advantage in the other areas.

That is poor imo.

Clearance to hitout ratio;

Fremantle - 0.75:1
Geelong - 2:1

Centre clearance to hitout ratio;

Fremantle - 1:4
Geelong - 2.4:4 for comparison.

Stoppage clearance to hit out ratio;

Fremantle - 0.5:1
Geelong - 1.2:1

Inside 50's to hitout ratio;
Fremantle - 5:6
Geelong - 15:6 for comparison.

We do not capitalise on our ruck dominance.
So even though Freo won the ruck, won the midfield, lost the game, had massive costly turnovers, showed poor skills, poor forward structure ... you want to point at the finger at Sandilands ... which in my opinion was probably the most dominant aspect of Freo's game all day. Seriously uneducated.
And if you think your stats support your argument, no they don't. You have invented stupid stats and ratios that nobody uses just to justify your stupid argument. It's the equivalent of saying something like "that midfielder had 70 disposals but only 60% disposal efficiency, why can't he have 80% disposal efficiency." Enough said.

For all the statistic's that have been quoted about Sandi and our mid field the questions I have are what do our coaches do when they are watching the game.
Wring their hands and close their eyes while hiding in the back of the box or do they actually assess what's happening and try to change things when they see that their game plan has failed .
Geelong played a 5 man forward line and an extra man in defence . Their followers at bounce downs were on the defensive side of the ruck contest and ran hard into our midfielders . Geelong mids ran hard into space when their team mates had possession and pushed back even harder when they were defending . I lost count of the number of time a Geelong mid ran hard and our mids let them go . Geelong out numbered us at almost every contest . Their coaches employed the tactic of putting hard bodies into Fyfe and Walters .Walters fell for the 3 card trick and stated hunting opponents rather than playing to his strengths .Our forward line was non existent . No one shepherded for a team mate and the tackling was terrible . The forward line was non existent all night .Kerstan WTF was terrible , Mcarthy was double teamed ,Griffin hardly took a mark all night and Sandi the same. Walters worst game ever .
Just to remind people of how good Dangerfield is once again he kicked 2 goals from contested marks . Once again we didn't put a player against him that had any chance of competing with him . Why wouldn't you tell Dawson to man up on Danger when ever he went forward and move Johnson onto Hawkins.
As for throwing Johnson up forward in the 3rd and last quarters just screamed desperation . This is going to be a long season people especially since we don't have that much AFL quality players to replace what was on the paddock tonight .
The next 4 games will be hard to watch as only North Melbourne I would say is a chance of a win based on what was served up tonight.

Was looking for an autopsy thread but I guess This is it
Not a lot to like about that really
Earlier on in the game, the optimist in me thought We had bottomed out last year and there was plenty of blue sky to look fwd to
As long as we have the likes of Daniel Pearce in the side continually burning the ball the longer the dark clouds will linger I'm afraid
It's not as if we have a stacked talent pool at peel putting their hands up either
Here in lies the biggest problem IMO
Kersten = tabs 2.0

So even though Freo won the ruck, won the midfield, lost the game, had massive costly turnovers, showed poor skills, poor forward structure ... you want to point at the finger at Sandilands ... which in my opinion was probably the most dominant aspect of Freo's game all day. Seriously uneducated.
And if you think your stats support your argument, no they don't. You have invented stupid stats and ratios that nobody uses just to justify your stupid argument. It's the equivalent of saying something like "that midfielder had 70 disposals but only 60% disposal efficiency, why can't he have 80% disposal efficiency." Enough said.

Putting aside your insults for a minute, I will have to start off by saying that I wasn't the poster that said we don't get enough out of Sandilands as a player, I am saying we don't capitalise on his dominance. I am not blaming him for the loss at all. It is a group effort to underachieve so spectacularly. Sandilands, the midfield and the midfield coaches should ask themselves why Geelong were 200% more effective at turning a hitout into a clearance or inside 50.

Do you think that +40 Hitouts should result in more than +14 clearances? I do.

This is one issue amongst many from the game tonight that contributed to our loss, the obvious one being turnovers caused by skill errors as you mentioned.

Goddamn our forward entries were so frustrating. There's only a few guys in the team who ever lower their eyes and try to honour a lead. Please tell me we don't practice that long bomb to the goalsquare tacticsduring training?

Even though he was quiet in patches it was still a breath of fresh air seeing B. Hill spot up a few inside 50's (he's not a patch on his big bro though, as we've known all along).

I was surprised to see Weller had 20+ touches - I hardly noticed him until the last qtr.

Poor Kersten... that was one of the worst debuts I can remember from a Freo player.

To better understand what went right/wrong for Freo in a game, I like to review the replay with a focus on the goals scored for and against.
That is, I go back to the last stoppage before the goal.
Below is my summary of the first 10 goals of the game. I think it's worth sharing to paint a better picture on where Freo really did lose the game.

Goal 1, Freo's (Langdon), Good transition by Freo from Defensive point kick out.
2, Geelong, Turnover by Michael Johnson. Very poor kick and decision across the D50 arc to player under pressure.
3, GE, Free Kick, Dodgy free kick for Geelong. Neale crashed boundary stoppage and got pinged for holding the ball.
4, GE, Good clean transition from centre clearance.
5, GE, Turnover by Cam Sutcliffe. Very poor kick down wing to GE player led to i50 to Dangerfield.
6, GE, Turnover by Ed Langdon, Poor kick down wing Out of Bounds, GE i50 Hawkins dribble kick from boundary (poor defense by Hamling)
7, FR, Free Kick, Dawson tackled by Hawkins in marking contest in D50 (vs Hawkins), good transition downfield, great mark Fyfe, i50 Suban Goal.
8, GE, Missed Free kick, Walters slapped in the eye in marking contest Freo F50, GE rebound led to goal.
9, GE, Free Kick, Dodgy Free Kick to Selwood for too high. He ducked twice at boundary stoppage and got little to no contact.
10, GE, Turnover, Michael Johnson poor decision and kick out from behind, Hawkins intercept and goaled.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why channel 7 broadcasted the game in standard def? Pretty frustrating when there are mkr and trucking show reruns being shown on 7HD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree, I think our midfielders are too close to him there's no space. Sandi can't tell if a certain midfielder has beaten his man, he's trying to tap it to a designated spot, our midfielders either fail to get there or are beaten there.

It's partly setup but more often than not he palms it down without looking at where it's going. And if it means we're not setting up the mids properly, it happens so often that he's just doing it without adjusting to the match situation. Which means he's not smart enough; he's playing by rote.

He can't run the ball out of congestion, he's an unreliable mark whose height advantage is no advantage. He may be serviceable at times but we could be developing a young ruck in his place who will actually be with us in two years time when we're planning to compete again. I don't see any point in Sandi anymore where we currently are, as great as he has been for us.

There is something really wrong down at Cockburn. We've gone from a bit of plumbing to a major reno. We're slow, skill deficient and clueless. I'm now starting to look away from the playing group and looking at the cobblers. On last nights performance it may well be a fall rather than a rise up the ladder.

It's partly setup but more often than not he palms it down without looking at where it's going. And if it means we're not setting up the mids properly, it happens so often that he's just doing it without adjusting to the match situation. Which means he's not smart enough; he's playing by rote.

He can't run the ball out of congestion, he's an unreliable mark whose height advantage is no advantage. He may be serviceable at times but we could be developing a young ruck in his place who will actually be with us in two years time when we're planning to compete again. I don't see any point in Sandi anymore where we currently are, as great as he has been for us.
The statistics in the past few years (and again supported by tonight) show that when Sandilands plays, Freo's midfield usually win the important midfield stats. That is, they win the HitOuts, the centre clearances, clearances and inside 50s.

Anybody with half an ounce of football knowledge who can read and interpret match statistics knows just how important Sandilands is.
Cripes, he was even named in Freo's best players in the match report. He had 9 clearances himself which completely contradicts your insane statement that "he can't run the ball out of congestion" never mind the fact that he took more contested marks than any other Freo player in 2015 (equal 4th for the entire AFL competition).

Some of the totally uneducated criticism of Sandilands that I see, especially from supposed Freo fans totally bewilders me. It's Tall Poppy Syndrome on steroids. If Sandilands was 205cm tall and producing the same match statistics, he would be lauded as one of the greatest ruckmen in history. But just because of his size, some people seem to think that he deserves criticism because they think he should be able to do better.

In any case, if you want to give a young ruck a chance, then you would drop Griffin, not Sandilands (unless you had some totally unreasonable, illogical, unsupported and unjustified agenda against Sandilands).

Sandi is a liability , Geelong ruck sometime don't bother to jump to win clearance knowing they will lost the tap and have an extra mid to negate his tap.
Let's be honest , Sandi and Johnson play a year too long time to move on.

Not sure why people here want to send their champ off in a bad way , macca went out injured, pav in a bad season already.

Sandi is a liability , Geelong ruck sometime don't bother to jump to win clearance knowing they will lost the tap and have an extra mid to negate his tap.
And how does that explain the FACT that Freo won the clearance stats including Sandilands with 9 (that is, Sandilands had more clearances than either Dangerfield or Selwood, never mind the FACT that the Geelong ruck Stanley only had 2 clearances).
Stop with the Sandilands criticism ... you are just making yourselves look stupid.

Not sure why people here want to send their champ off in a bad way , macca went out injured, pav in a bad season already.
Utter rubbish on the Sandi call Meima... Johnson however, yikes!

does that mean that if t he non nominated ruckmen touches the ball we get a free kick? could be a new gameplan if so

it's so early in the year and it's easy to bag the team but i'm starting to get the vibe that we are a "mates" team- hope i'm wrong

does that mean that if t he non nominated ruckmen touches the ball we get a free kick? could be a new gameplan if so
Is the over reliance on Sandi is the problem not the stat , just like pav . Sandi is a champ but how many years now that we saw debate he is the best ruckmen in the competition yet the team lost heavily. Geelong actually having extra mid to outnumber our mid to win back the ball as Johnson playing the extra back men in this situation. Instead of having a sweeper Taylor Geelong send in an extra defensive mid and having Taylor as an not so effective tall forward as target why ? If the game plan don't work Taylor can swing back as defender.

Last edited:
There is something really wrong down at Cockburn. We've gone from a bit of plumbing to a major reno. We're slow, skill deficient and clueless. I'm now starting to look away from the playing group and looking at the cobblers. On last nights performance it may well be a fall rather than a rise up the ladder.
I don't think so, last nights game was poor however if you look at the statistics 'we won the game'. It was our turnovers and decision-making that proved extremely costly.

IMO the boys had a down game and that is all, it was plain to see that we are playing differently. Our forward line is going to have days they struggle before they put it together (work in progress).

Out of all the players I worry about the fact we are playing MJ/Dawson/Suban. I believe those 3 don't need to be there.

Is the over reliance on Sandi is the problem not the stat , just like pav . Sandi is a champ but how many years now that we saw debate he is the best ruckmen in the competition yet the team lost heavily. Geelong actually having extra mid to outnumber our mid to win back the ball as Johnson playing the extra back men in this situation. Instead of having a sweeper Taylor Geelong send in an extra defensive mid .
Yeah meima, the thinking there is they know Sandi will win the ball so they get an extra body in there to tackle and/or run away with it. I don't know who handles our midfield but you'd think they would wake up to the fact that opposition teams are sharking. To his credit Sandi did punch the ball out of there more frequently, something he needs to do.

Yeah meima, the thinking there is they know Sandi will win the ball so they get an extra body in there to tackle and/or run away with it. I don't know who handles our midfield but you'd think they would wake up to the fact that opposition teams are sharking. To his credit Sandi did punch the ball out of there more frequently, something he needs to do.
Having this no third men up actually is not good for a team like freo as we are so predictable that opposition already draw a plan to counter it. Who complain the most with this rules , eagles and Geelong therefore they plan earlier about thier ruck situation. Stat is there but smart players is not a static human being therefore during game situation change who adapt the better who win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back