Game Day Round 1: Freo vs Geelong @ subi 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The statistics in the past few years (and again supported by tonight) show that when Sandilands plays, Freo's midfield usually win the important midfield stats. That is, they win the HitOuts, the centre clearances, clearances and inside 50s.

Anybody with half an ounce of football knowledge who can read and interpret match statistics knows just how important Sandilands is.
Cripes, he was even named in Freo's best players in the match report. He had 9 clearances himself which completely contradicts your insane statement that "he can't run the ball out of congestion" never mind the fact that he took more contested marks than any other Freo player in 2015 (equal 4th for the entire AFL competition).

Some of the totally uneducated criticism of Sandilands that I see, especially from supposed Freo fans totally bewilders me. It's Tall Poppy Syndrome on steroids. If Sandilands was 205cm tall and producing the same match statistics, he would be lauded as one of the greatest ruckmen in history. But just because of his size, some people seem to think that he deserves criticism because they think he should be able to do better.

In any case, if you want to give a young ruck a chance, then you would drop Griffin, not Sandilands (unless you had some totally unreasonable, illogical, unsupported and unjustified agenda against Sandilands).
Sandilands is three years older than Griffin, that's how my preference works. Griffin is also presenting as a legitimate forward option this year as a resting ruck. His marking looks much surer to me this year.

What's the point of winning the hitout if the hitout goes to the opposition? Before third man up was a thing, the biggest criticism of Sandi was that while he'd dominate the taps, the opposition would either shark them or, as they did last night, let him win the taps and kill us in the contest with extra numbers. Now that third man is gone, we've gone back to that scenario.

I'm not blaming the loss on Sandi, but I think if we're rebuilding, there's no point persisting with him when we have options that are younger, compete, and give us more options around the ground. It's one area we could be better.

Just look at team that win ruck but lose the match.

Team that win ruck contest but lost the match
Carlton
Collingwood
Sydney
GC ( not a lot there for lost by small margin)
Hawthorn
GWS
North Melbourne
Fremantle.

Exception
Melbourne - max gawn hit to advantage win the match

Last edited:
Is the over reliance on Sandi is the problem not the stat , just like pav . Sandi is a champ but how many years now that we saw debate he is the best ruckmen in the competition yet the team lost heavily. Geelong actually having extra mid to outnumber our mid to win back the ball as Johnson playing the extra back men in this situation. Instead of having a sweeper Taylor Geelong send in an extra defensive mid .
Freo have rarely looked worse than they did last season when Sandilands was missing (sidelined injured). In the last 2 or 3 years the correlation between Sandilands playing and Freo winning is extremely high.

Freo are winning plenty of inside midfield ball but they definitely have some problems with their use of their outside mids. This needs attention. The commentators were noting how Freo's normal outside mids (eg. S.Hill) were coming inside and Geelong were getting Freo on the spread. Freo's outside mid spread has been a huge problem for a while now (hopefully Bennell may help that, if he can get and stay fit).

But, a review of the goals kicked in the game shows very few goals were kicked by either team, from stoppage clearances. The overwhelming goals kicked by Geelong came from very poor Freo turnovers in defence. Take the turnovers away and Freo win that game.

Freo have rarely looked worse than they did last season when Sandilands was missing (sidelined injured). In the last 2 or 3 years the correlation between Sandilands playing and Freo winning is extremely high.

Freo are winning plenty of inside midfield ball but they definitely have some problems with their use of their outside mids. This needs attention. The commentators were noting how Freo's normal outside mids (eg. S.Hill) were coming inside and Geelong were getting Freo on the spread. Freo's outside mid spread has been a huge problem for a while now (hopefully Bennell may help that, if he can get and stay fit).

But, a review of the goals kicked in the game shows very few goals were kicked by either team, from stoppage clearances. The overwhelming goals kicked by Geelong came from very poor Freo turnovers in defence. Take the turnovers away and Freo win that game.
No point argue check all the team that lost in first round their ruck stat. Apart from Melbourne all the losing team got good number stat in hit out. Max gawn hit to advantage from media is spot on there. If you know your opposition going to win hitout are you sitting there doing nothing or think of a way to counter it. Modern game is all about ball use . Taking advantage of your ruck clearance if you don't have the ball how to get the ball back.

Last edited:

That's some wild optimism

Carlton win hit out
50 vs 35
Collingwood
50 vs 25
Sydney
49 vs 42
GC
40 vs 35
Hawthorn
39 vs 31
North
51 vs 29
Gws
43 vs 31

Freo
63 vs 18
Exception
Melbourne as winning team
54 vs 19
A team that refuse to give their last year top 5 player jack watts a gig in first two round of JLt.

Exactly. There's a lot of overreaction going on to the loss. We will improve, not worried. My major concern is our spacing on the ground, we really do send too many bodies to a contest, opposition players are cherry-picking us.

Exactly. There's a lot of overreaction going on to the loss. We will improve, not worried. My major concern is our spacing on the ground, we really do send too many bodies to a contest, opposition players are cherry-picking us.
Easy to said that done , don't think extra running will help skill level.

Carlton win hit out
50 vs 35
Collingwood
50 vs 25
Sydney
49 vs 42
GC
40 vs 35
Hawthorn
39 vs 31
North
51 vs 29
Gws
43 vs 31

Freo
63 vs 18
Exception
Melbourne as winning team
54 vs 19
A team that refuse to give their last year top 5 player jack watts a gig in first two round of JLt.
Your on to something re Jack Watts theres to many entilted players in our team. They just know they will be picked whether they play shit or not.

Make them hungry by dropping them for a few weeks and watch there output go up

Your on to something re Jack Watts theres to many entilted players in our team. They just know they will be picked whether they play shit or not.

Make them hungry by dropping them for a few weeks and watch there output go up
The worse thing is they are a level higher physically in wafl , instead of looking at their skill level improve in second looking at their stat will not be enough.

After running some more numbers I noticed some other things I thought I might share...

In most statistical areas we were on top but there were a few glaring ones (other than goals obviously) that are pretty telling imo:
  • We were smashed in the tackle count 71 to 45. A pretty clear indication we weren't good defensively across the ground.
  • Geelong had 37 rebound 50s to our 23. It was way too easy for them to transition.
  • Also smashed us in contested marks 20 to 9. We lost the contested possession count by less than this difference.
  • Geelong 19 bounces to just 2 (both Weller) for us. They were willing to take the game on and run the ball, we weren't.
Across all other statistical areas we were fairly even or even won comprehensively (eg hit outs, clearances etc).

I don't get why with guys like Brad Hill, Stephen Hill, Langdon, Weller and Danyle Pearce in our team we don't run the ball more often? It almost seems like they are told not to take the game on at all. I personally think we look great when we run the ball because even when we make mistakes we have some great ground ball winners in the middle that can at the very least cause a stoppage. I'd give a licence to run the ball more and bring in more guys willing and capable of doing it. The possible good news is Sheridan, Hughes, Crozier and Luke Ryan (when ready) don't mind having a run and three of those are available for selection now and Ryan will play his first game for Peel this weekend. And Bennell is a handy runner when he is back also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After running some more numbers I noticed some other things I thought I might share...

In most statistical areas we were on top but there were a few glaring ones (other than goals obviously) that are pretty telling imo:
  • We were smashed in the tackle count 71 to 45. A pretty clear indication we weren't good defensively across the ground.
  • Geelong had 37 rebound 50s to our 23. It was way too easy for them to transition.
  • Also smashed us in contested marks 20 to 9. We lost the contested possession count by less than this difference.
  • Geelong 19 bounces to just 2 (both Weller) for us. They were willing to take the game on and run the ball, we weren't.
Across all other statistical areas we were fairly even or even won comprehensively (eg hit outs, clearances etc).

I don't get why with guys like Brad Hill, Stephen Hill, Langdon, Weller and Danyle Pearce in our team we don't run the ball more often? It almost seems like they are told not to take the game on at all. I personally think we look great when we run the ball because even when we make mistakes we have some great ground ball winners in the middle that can at the very least cause a stoppage. I'd give a licence to run the ball more and bring in more guys willing and capable of doing it. The possible good news is Sheridan, Hughes, Crozier and Luke Ryan (when ready) don't mind having a run and three of those are available for selection now and Ryan will play his first game for Peel this weekend. And Bennell is a handy runner when he is back also.
Bang on. We have so many great runners in our team right now like the Hills, Weller and Langdon yet why do we never see them actually run. We are desperate for some run and carry and creativity. Again, is this something they've been instructed not to do??

How many goals did we get from horrible Geelong blunders? Any? I don't mean the regulation turnovers that are inevitable, but the rank howlers which we seem so proficient in.

Sandi handball, Johnson kick into corridor, Johnson kick in, two horrible kicks from Sutcliffe, Hamling being unaware and not punching the ball. None of that shit should ever happen. Maybe throw in a few goals from the umpires, and it's basically game over from a handful of isolated incidents. Especially if we keep bombing it into our 50.

Can see the stats line being echoed many times ... win the kicks, handballs, marks, hitouts, clearances, inside 50s ... and lose the game.

Spot on the bold bit. It's not just when we have the ball, but when we don't too. We don't shape well around the contest when it gets scrappy. I know it can be a bit of a lottery at times, and some of it has to do with experience I suspect with some players, but we let a lot of ball move way too quickly through the midfield with numbers out the back etc. Geelong were sharper by hand, foot and decision making - so got to give them credit, but we didn't make it hard enough for them either. There were a number of times from my vantage point where I just saw Geelong outnumbering Freo goal side of the contest, that should not happen anywhere near as often as it did.

Generally speaking though, so frustrating to have a lot of ball control and get so little out of it.

How many goals did we get from horrible Geelong blunders? Any? I don't mean the regulation turnovers that are inevitable, but the rank howlers which we seem so proficient in.

Sandi handball, Johnson kick into corridor, Johnson kick in, two horrible kicks from Sutcliffe, Hamling being unaware and not punching the ball. None of that shit should ever happen. Maybe throw in a few goals from the umpires, and it's basically game over from a handful of isolated incidents. Especially if we keep bombing it into our 50.

Can see the stats line being echoed many times ... win the kicks, handballs, marks, hitouts, clearances, inside 50s ... and lose the game.
We only had 4 more turnovers (64 to 60) but we were just terrible at making them pay whilst they were exceptional at it. We are just too slow on the transition. Geelong grab the ball and just go for it - just like the Dogs and every other top team.

Bang on. We have so many great runners in our team right now like the Hills, Weller and Langdon yet why do we never see them actually run. We are desperate for some run and carry and creativity. Again, is this something they've been instructed not to do??
Interesting isn't it? they seem determined to chip it around by foot instead. Would be great to see Hills and Langdon/Weller running through the middle sharing it by hand.

We only had 4 more turnovers (64 to 60) but we were just terrible at making them pay whilst they were exceptional at it. We are just too slow on the transition. Geelong grab the ball and just go for it - just like the Dogs and every other top team.
wayToGo replace Ross , not having a go at you TBH I rather see something different then doing the same thing over and over again might be the same result or not but at least there is changes.

Interesting isn't it? they seem determined to chip it around by foot instead. Would be great to see Hills and Langdon/Weller running through the middle sharing it by hand.

Unfortunately we tried the handball game but stuffed up the handballs as well. Handballs over the head, behind ,to the side ,missed all together. The skills were horrible. I'm hoping it was because of the new boys not being used to their team mates and the boys who haven't played for a season being rusty. I think we need to wait for a couple of games to see if they gel if not its doomsday.

Unfortunately we tried the handball game but stuffed up the handballs as well. Handballs over the head, behind ,to the side ,missed all together. The skills were horrible. I'm hoping it was because of the new boys not being used to their team mates and the boys who haven't played for a season being rusty. I think we need to wait for a couple of games to see if they gel if not its doomsday.
Sandi's handballs though :\

We did try the handball game and kept handballing to players' feet. Awful stuff

Thought they were pretty good against Collingwood in the JLT. But then we saw none of it against Carlton and again yesterday.

Salim I come in as a friendly gesture , I don't think is purely players fault at all , peel look a lot different with GU ,deboer gone as well , but their local boy and freo new boy like stranidica , balic stood up. But the like of croz look as much inconsistent as freo .

I wasn't completely horrified by that. I feel there was evidence of a new game plan. We did not get locked inside our defensive 50 so much, we did bring the ball out with some flow. We made some horrendous errors too but maybe that will improve. I also felt there was some evidence of more open, attacking work at the clearances. Both these things are sorely needed.

I wish we could get some method inside forward 50. We have struggled with that for years. It seemed like we had some method in the JLT game against Collingwood, but it dissipated against Carlton, and there was none yesterday.

If someone can decipher what Ross was talking about in the presser, maybe they would be good enough to post, because I don't have a clue. I think Ross needs to say something in the presser that has meaning to supporters and that is consistent with actions taken, as he is not coming across well IMHO.

Peel's first game the skills were horrible, it was pure luck that East Perths were worse. East Freo are not competitive ,you can't judge improvement in skills from that game. This Saturday we will find out how good the youngsters are when Peel take on South Freo.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back