Round 1 Line Up

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just imagining all the teaching going on from Tom Mitchell to all the young midfielders.
The bloke is a legend.
I'll go Edward Allan best 22 before the end of the season.
Massive talent is Ed Allan. Looking forward to his development, with Matrix and Titch as his role models , he has a wealth of knowledge at his disposal to sponge off

Massive talent is Ed Allan. Looking forward to his development, with Matrix and Titch as his role models , he has a wealth of knowledge at his disposal to sponge off
Lol Matrix showing the young blokes how it's done.

Edward was tipped to go top 5 or 10 at some point. I think West Coast screwed themselves over not picking him.
He's Judd like quick. I can imagine him streaming through the middle with Nick. Exciting times

Think practice match form will count for the last few places. Frampton as a structural piece makes sense over Murphy but he needs to show his wares in the intraclub.

The likes of Carmichael, Hill, Draper, Allen etc may get some time in the 1st practice match and a good showing may springboard them over others for that round 1 spot. Think there are a least a couple of spots still up for grabs. Hopefully no more open up because of injury before round 1 but realistically 1 or 2 are likely.

Lol Matrix showing the young blokes how it's done.

Edward was tipped to go top 5 or 10 at some point. I think West Coast screwed themselves over not picking him.
He's Judd like quick. I can imagine him streaming through the middle with Nick. Exciting times
Yes. Allen and Draper top ten talent, so it is expected they will play a few AFL games at some stage.

Yes. Allen and Draper top ten talent, so it is expected they will play a few AFL games at some stage.
For us to take the next step, we need at least one of the players who are not currently in our best 22/3 to force their way into the side as a result of form, and not injury.

I'd like to see:
  • Reef force his way into the forward line playing the De Goey power forward role and releasing Jordy to spend more time on the ball. Ideally spending short stints on the ball to maintain the grunt that De Goey provides.
  • Ed Allen make the wing his own, power running both forward and back to take the role that WHE currently fills and developing into an attacking running link player who can accurately hit leading forward targets by foot and provide a contest aerially.

Reckon that, coupled with some luck with injuries would be all we'd need to be a solid contender for a flag in '23

Yes. I heard Arlo kept training at the end of last year's season and didn't take a break. Hopefully the extra work pays off for him.

Correct and it shows. Came back day 1 fitter and stronger than we ever seen him, even better than his draft year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
1676439683352.png

I couldn't decide for the last spot and I think match committee will probably be the same, depending on who we play and injuries, but I would personally have Cox ahead of everyone, just because he can cover 3 other on-field positions and give them a break, Cameron, McStay and Mihocek.

As for the others, this is the way I see it:

Noble is not ahead of Q or Maynard.

Murphy is not ahead of Frampton.

Ginnivan is not ahead of Hill.

Hoskin-Elliott gets a lot of flack but he is ahead of others based on the same reasoning as Cox, he covers both wings for when they need a breather, Sidebottom and Jaicos, and he can also play anywhere that isn't a key position.

I can't wait to see this team play.

View attachment 1607834

I couldn't decide for the last spot and I think match committee will probably be the same, depending on who we play and injuries, but I would personally have Cox ahead of everyone, just because he can cover 3 other on-field positions and give them a break, Cameron, McStay and Mihocek.

Hoskin-Elliott gets a lot of flack but he is ahead of others based on the same reasoning as Cox, he covers both wings for when they need a breather, Sidebottom and Jaicos, and he can also play anywhere that isn't a key position.

Good team and there's a lot of opinions on the line-up. Wondering why you say that Ginnivan is not ahead of Hill?

View attachment 1607834

Ginni is not ahead of hill? the kid has kicked more goals than hill has in 4 years.
I do think they can play together. Nobody is pushing ginni out.

Ginni is not ahead of hill? the kid has kicked more goals than hill has in 4 years.
I do think they can play together. Nobody is pushing ginni out.

Good team and there's a lot of opinions on the line-up. Wondering why you say that Ginnivan is not ahead of Hill?

Hill wasn't getting games because GWS knew he was leaving, same as Frampton, both were strong the State league.

Main reason is speed.

Hill is more versatile and adds waaaay more pressure than Ginnivan and has a better left foot.

Ginnivan is smart, no doubt, but slow, he was our weakest link a lot because of his lack of speed and teams exposed it.
It was sooo frustrating to watch, his lack of pressure allows teams to waltz out of our attacking 50 too often.

1.3 tackles a game vs 2.5

2021 when Hill played 17 games, he averaged 2.8 tackles per game

Ginnivan averages an extra goal per game, but don't kid yourselves, a lot of his goals early came from his 'tackle avoidance' technique and those freebies will dry up.

So extra forward pressure, speed and a better left foot. Coaches will see it the same way, they rarely made horrible team selections last year vs the previous mob which blew my mind with selections every week.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ginni, but imo, and it's an opinion, I personally have Hill ahead of him for the reasons I stated above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hill wasn't getting games because GWS knew he was leaving, same as Frampton, both were strong the State league.

Main reason is speed.

Hill is more versatile and adds waaaay more pressure than Ginnivan and has a better left foot.

Ginnivan is smart, no doubt, but slow, he was our weakest link a lot because of his lack of speed and teams exposed it.
It was sooo frustrating to watch, his lack of pressure allows teams to waltz out of our attacking 50 too often.

Ginnivan averages an extra goal per game, but don't kid yourselves, a lot of his goals early came from his 'tackle avoidance' technique and those freebies will dry up.

So extra forward pressure, speed and a better left foot. Coaches will see it the same way, they rarely made horrible team selections last year vs the previous mob which blew my mind with selections every week.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ginni, but imo, and it's an opinion, I personally have Hill ahead of him for the reasons I stated above.

If hill is bringing forward pressure they wouldn’t you think he is competing v Beau then.
If you think free kicks is all ginni is about then you clearly didn’t watch his game after those frees dried dried up. He doesn’t need frees to make an impact. He is very smart that can find goals in other ways.

I doubt it’s one or the other, like I said, I think they can both play at the feet of Mcstay. And both have been playing in the 1sts team.

Main reason is speed.

I agree.

I mentioned a while ago I thought Ginni will be under big time pressure to hold his spot - most disagreed.

We are getting closer to finding out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I think we will see how they are lined up in match sim on Friday

FWIW ginni is fitter, stronger than ever this preseason. I reckon we will see him take another step up, don’t think we will see a second (third) year blues. He’ll get more supply and another year in this new system.

I want Ginnivan to prove me wrong, I love him, he's got a great footy brain, but at the top level if you are physically lacking in an area, height, weight, speed, you are exposed and the team suffers.

That's what I saw a lot last season with Ginni, his lack of speed hurt us a lot.

There are others that hurt us too because of their lack of size, Noble and Hoskin-Elliott, but this pre-seasons pick ups have definitely addressed our weaknesses and there's going to be a lot of pressure for spots, we have great depth all of a sudden.

What I want to see rd1 is 2 stay at home key forwards and two rucks. We are still behind with key forwards because we don’t have a star forward, we have good forwards. McStay, checkers and AJ to take the key spots. AJ Will probably miss out but injuries will see him get game time. Cox/Cameron to both play in the ruck, I don’t want to see Dan doing any ruck work.
The forward that I just can’t get a handle on is Freddy. I love his style but it’s just going to kill him injury wise. Is he a key or a crash and bash make room for others. Reminds me a bit of Jarrod Molloy a bit bigger but same style. I just don’t know where he fits in.

Hill played the 1st 11 games in 2022 until he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. He didnt play any state league in 2022. He was never left out of GWS for the reasons you say. Frampton was not in the Adelaide 22 because they didnt think he was good enough. Hopefully that changes for us.

Hill played the 1st 11 games in 2022 until he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. He didnt play any state league in 2022. He was never left out of GWS for the reasons you say. Frampton was not in the Adelaide 22 because they didnt think he was good enough. Hopefully that changes for us.
I’ve got high hopes for Billy. It’s his third club but don’t forget that when The Anvil came to the Pies it was his third club too. And we know how that turned out!

7e8a2ba87edf99e2f1cafecde81cb214.jpg

I’ve got high hopes for Billy. It’s his third club but don’t forget that when The Anvil came to the Pies it was his third club too. And we know how that turned out!
I would like to say that from when I first saw him play, I thought he had something special. It hasn't turned out quite the way I thought he would but I think he is now ready to excite. Frampton is going to surprise a lot of people and by the end of the year, we will be grateful to have a reliable 200cm KD that will release the likes of Moore and Howe. Just my 2 cents worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Line Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back