Preview Round 1 v Port Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been trying to find an article from somewhere prior to the '09 run about Lyon's method of promoting clean disposal during training. Something along the lines of being penalised for causing the ball to touch the ground by having everyone stop and try to hit you in the back of the head with it until someone succeeds.

Whilst aware of the "free shot" at other players for basic errors, I haven't seen an article on it. Lyon's theory was to deprive the opposition of the ball, which did require the ability to hit a target. Although often it led to a lack of movement and creativity, along with backwards kicking. Obviously it wasn't ineffective at the time - particularly as we were a very fit squad (in a relative sense) compared to most opponents (not an advatange we hold today).

Polo was playing a negating role on Danyle Pearce for the majority of the game, who was a forward flank/wing. Polo was named on forward flank, but will never play there when the forward line is open like the game style demands. That space is for Peake, Montagna, Steven, Armitage, Cripps, Milera or Dal Santo to run through. The same applies to Geary. In that role, it's not their job to deliver into the 50. It's also highly difficult to get inside-50's when you're crumbing/contesting 50m further out.

That doesn't quite make sense. You're suggesting Polo is a defensive forward which I agree with yet you suggest when the ball is in that area he shouldn't be? Given his opponent will be there, he'll need to be there. The modern game dictates you need to either equal or outnumber your opponents in the forward 50 to score. This isn't a knock against Polo as it happened with McQualter. Defensive forwards need to impact the scoreboard. McQualter very good in 09, not so much in 2010, gone in 2012. As has been previously pointed out, Polo is good overhead, so if he's going to be used in this role, we need impact. In a team that struggles to score, we can't afford to have one forward assigned to not worrying about that aspect of the game in my opinion.

One thing that could be good for the type of players we have in our backline is Stanley playing forward.
If he can stay furthest forward , he can drift "too far" back and his opponent will either follow or drop off and leave him open.
A kick over his head ( booming Grammy, Fisher or Gilbert kick ) and he runs back onto it.

Uses Stanley's physical attributes to advantage, and capitalises on some big kicks/dubious accuracy from some of our players.

He did have a good run to goal at one stage on Sunday but I'm not sure what the circumstances were leading up to it.

That doesn't quite make sense. You're suggesting Polo is a defensive forward which I agree with yet you suggest when the ball is in that area he shouldn't be? Given his opponent will be there, he'll need to be there. The modern game dictates you need to either equal or outnumber your opponents in the forward 50 to score. This isn't a knock against Polo as it happened with McQualter. Defensive forwards need to impact the scoreboard. McQualter very good in 09, not so much in 2010, gone in 2012. As has been previously pointed out, Polo is good overhead, so if he's going to be used in this role, we need impact. In a team that struggles to score, we can't afford to have one forward assigned to not worrying about that aspect of the game in my opinion.
The other thing is, defensive forwards defend by chasing their player and applying pressure, and by making their player accountable - namely, that player can't be charging around wreaking havoc when they're too busy stopping you kicking goals.

Saad is the kind of defensive forward I want. He's fast and aggressive, short and stocky, and thus can chase, harrass, and tackle his opposition. But he also has the flair and pace to use it going the other way. I'm not suggesting bringing him in straight away, but yeah.

Actually, what the hell, bring him and Sippos in. Look, it's GOLD COAST this week - the difference between them and Coburg Tigers is marginal. Let them play against young opposition, but also get that AFL feeling.

Look2Me4Guidance - "That doesn't quite make sense. You're suggesting Polo is a defensive forward which I agree with yet you suggest when the ball is in that area he shouldn't be? Given his opponent will be there, he'll need to be there. The modern game dictates you need to either equal or outnumber your opponents in the forward 50 to score. This isn't a knock against Polo as it happened with McQualter. Defensive forwards need to impact the scoreboard. McQualter very good in 09, not so much in 2010, gone in 2012. As has been previously pointed out, Polo is good overhead, so if he's going to be used in this role, we need impact. In a team that struggles to score, we can't afford to have one forward assigned to not worrying about that aspect of the game in my opinion"

I can see where the confusion regarding my post lies and I accept responsibility for it.

Was suggesting that; due to the flanks needing to be open for the current 'kick-it-to-Reiwoldt-on-the-flank' tactic, Polo was played as a run-with flanker on Pearce with a focus on winning back the ball and feeding off. It was Pearce who was playing as a forward-wing or half-forward for most of the game. This led to Polo's ball-winning position being too far away from 50 to actually get inside it. Although on the team sheet he shows as being picked on forward-flank, his assigned role wasn't to hover there. Hopefully that makes more sense. Apologies for the editing error.

One thing that could be good for the type of players we have in our backline is Stanley playing forward.
If he can stay furthest forward , he can drift "too far" back and his opponent will either follow or drop off and leave him open.
A kick over his head ( booming Grammy, Fisher or Gilbert kick ) and he runs back onto it.

Uses Stanley's physical attributes to advantage, and capitalises on some big kicks/dubious accuracy from some of our players.

He did have a good run to goal at one stage on Sunday but I'm not sure what the circumstances were leading up to it.
On AFL Insider they showed a Stanley's man running off for the interchange during general play and once it got turned over Rhys was all by himself and obviously nobody is going to catch him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 1 v Port Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back