AFL Autopsy Round 10: 15 Point Loss To Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets be positive for a moment we reach round 10 with a five win & five loss record, we still have plenty of footy ahead and are showing overall improvement, tonight showed why we are not a top four side but the last two weeks showed why we can make the eight.

Bit of a frustrating game. We couldn't move the ball effectively into our forward line. We broke down in two elements moving from defense 50 to the midfield that was largely due to good Richmond structures and us not being able to nail the important corridor kicks. Then also we were not composed going into forward 50 at all.

Some players actually played really well - eg Hurley, Goddard, Heppell, McGrath and Zaharakis. I thought Baguley and Dea did good defensively. Bellchambers put in a good effort - he wasn't hugely influential but I liked his game. Daniher was pretty decent too started off great and I don't think got many opportunities after that.

However other players had down games eg Zac Merrett was quiet - i think he was getting a fair bit of attention, Watson's disposal was horrible and cost us badly, Green and Tippa were both really quiet - I can't blame them for that but I can't recall a game where Tippa didn't lay an influential tackle and that missed tackle on Cotchin in Q4 was really bad. Myers was terrible - just playing too slow at AFL level. Colyer continues to butcher the ball. Hooker played his worst game by a mile - was way off today. I've never seen him struggle so much to take marks.

Honestly whilst it was disappointing I think most of those players you'd back them to rebound. The changes I'd be thinking at this early stage might be:
Ins Leuenberger (maybe), Ambrose, Langford
Out Bellchambers, Dea/Hartley, Myers

Credit to Richmond I thought their structures were very good. We didn't handle the pressure too well and were lucky not to lose by more given the weight of inside 50s.

I hope that if they do bring in Langford it's to play in Stewart's spot. It's clearly his most natural position and where he should be playing (mostly) atm.
Oh yes please

Nice win umps. Can someone please for the love of god explain what is holding the ball this year, sometimes you can get swung 360 drop the ball and its play on. Myers gets tackled as he received the ball and gets pinged.

Absolutely crucified in that one. Yes we were shit but seriously. All the 50/50 went there way some absolute atrocious htb decisions paid against us but for them its play on.

Colyer was also pathetic.
Disagree - we got away with a few, so did they. Umps absolutely did not win that for them and Tigers probably should have won by more.

I enjoyed Hurley, McGrath, and McKenna's games and Goddard's first half, but lots of passengers my goodness. I don't know if this is credit to Richmond or a bad knock on us but we could not stick a tackle for the life of us tonight. When we lost the ball Richmond just danced away with it and we're just lucky their forward line is a bit of a basketcase.

I'm wondering about Walla and Raz - I couldn't tell were they nullified or just off the pace tonight?

I know Stewar,t Hooker and Colyer had 'mares but honestly there were about a dozen who stunk it up. Let's not completely switch in our VFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a frustrating game. We couldn't move the ball effectively into our forward line. We broke down in two elements moving from defense 50 to the midfield that was largely due to good Richmond structures and us not being able to nail the important corridor kicks. Then also we were not composed going into forward 50 at all.

Some players actually played really well - eg Hurley, Goddard, Heppell, McGrath and Zaharakis. I thought Baguley and Dea did good defensively. Bellchambers put in a good effort - he wasn't hugely influential but I liked his game. Daniher was pretty decent too started off great and I don't think got many opportunities after that.

However other players had down games eg Zac Merrett was quiet - i think he was getting a fair bit of attention, Watson's disposal was horrible and cost us badly, Green and Tippa were both really quiet - I can't blame them for that but I can't recall a game where Tippa didn't lay an influential tackle and that missed tackle on Cotchin in Q4 was really bad. Myers was terrible - just playing too slow at AFL level. Colyer continues to butcher the ball. Hooker played his worst game by a mile - was way off today. I've never seen him struggle so much to take marks.

Honestly whilst it was disappointing I think most of those players you'd back them to rebound. The changes I'd be thinking at this early stage might be:
Ins Leuenberger (maybe), Ambrose, Langford
Out Bellchambers, Dea/Hartley, Myers

Credit to Richmond I thought their structures were very good. We didn't handle the pressure too well and were lucky not to lose by more given the weight of inside 50s.
Agree with most of this but thought that Dea did enough to hold his place.

no, they're good. problem has been closing out games - have been right in most of their games this season. No blow outs like say, Adelaide that I can recall. We did well to keep so close considering how well they set up and how poor our skills and decision making were.

Calling richmond good is a bit generous.

Lets be positive for a moment we reach round 10 with a five win & five loss record, we still have plenty of footy ahead and are showing overall improvement, tonight showed why we are not a top four side but the last two weeks showed why we can make the eight.

**** that I want Woosha to be angry and rip them a new one sick of this club being " it's ok"old after loss.

A good team wouldn't accept this loss and belt GWS next week.

Calling richmond good is a bit generous.
Disagree. They've been one of the better teams so far this season. Bad at closing out games but you have only to see how they set up tonight to see their ability to follow through with a game plan. Jack's goal in last Q was huge for their confidence. Ability is there. (Of course I hope there's a huge slide in the second half of the season.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Round 10: 15 Point Loss To Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back