Autopsy Round 11: Hawks audition for top 4 draft pick, v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Can remember Kane Cornes calling it the potentially the worst trade of all time at some point too.
Cant wait for that one to be thrown into the spotlight again ASAP hahaha

He also said we cheated getting Scully

Here's another bad bit for the night, Scully's current game makes no sense, I can't remember a time he won a 1on1 contest.

And if he is playing so loose he should be burning teams on the outside but his disposal is mediocre at best but is a major reason why our forward play is so bad. Our outside run lacks damage and opposition teams are happy to use him as our out because they know he won't hurt them. So that means that they can focus on limiting smith/others because Scully is fairy floss.

Some of these decisions are seriously baffling and the only summary I come to is the coaches have seriously overvalued the players on the park.

Scully and Omearas penetration by foot is horrendous. Scully uses a pitching wedge and Omeara is about an 8 iron at best.

Scoreboard doesn’t lie. These are our totals since the Kangaroos win. 49, 27, 48, 53, 89, 32.

what on earth has happened.

It's a legacy of how the game is played. Way too much emphasis on everything else, goals are no longer a priority, but merely a bi-product. When a team is not playing well, it makes scoring almost impossible. When a team is playing well, they get a few goals along the way, almost as a bonus. Personally I'd like to see more emphasis on a winning style of football with an attitude towards outscoring the opposition, but sadly coaches don't see it that way in 2020, and probably never will in future.

The worrying thing for me is over the years we've seen the odd game where it's just not our day, the team just looks slow and lacking enthusiasm, but it's happening too frequently for it to be labelled "just a bad day". The team leaders need to have the finger pointed at them and asked how they're going to fix it.

In the short term, I'd be playing some of the guys who aren't getting a game. Got nothing to lose, and we may even see a player or two step up and show he wants to part of what's happening at Hawthorn. I never expected a lot from the asterisk season, certainly not a premiership, so it's not the worst thing in the world, so long as we gain something from it.

I get the feeling you have watched a bit of footy over the years.

Tell me a softer winger we have had that just falls over when he feels the breath of someone on the back of his neck.

Heck Shayne Stevenson had a similar build to Scully but atleast cracked in when needed.

Let's just say I think he and Vickery were similar recruiting errors imo.

It's a legacy of how the game is played. Way too much emphasis on everything else, goals are no longer a priority, but merely a bi-product. When a team is not playing well, it makes scoring almost impossible. When a team is playing well, they get a few goals along the way, almost as a bonus. Personally I'd like to see more emphasis on a winning style of football with an attitude towards outscoring the opposition, but sadly coaches don't see it that way in 2020, and probably never will in future.

The worrying thing for me is over the years we've seen the odd game where it's just not our day, the team just looks slow and lacking enthusiasm, but it's happening too frequently for it to be labelled "just a bad day". The team leaders need to have the finger pointed at them and asked how they're going to fix it.

In the short term, I'd be playing some of the guys who aren't getting a game. Got nothing to lose, and we may even see a player or two step up and show he wants to part of what's happening at Hawthorn. I never expected a lot from the asterisk season, certainly not a premiership, so it's not the worst thing in the world, so long as we gain something from it.

Will Day has been a revelation. Plays at a million miles an hour and does what he can to move the ball with some speed.

Imagine if CJ came in and showed some run and dash from HB?

scrimshaw and CJ our HB line with Day up on a wing.

worth a look!!!

O'Brien tackles though and yes he drops a lot of marks that he should take but he contests which brings the balls to ground in most occasions which is better than the opposition floating around taking uncontested marks. If it is a floating ball in the forward half you go hard and should be a 50/50 contest. He has the leap and I understand your frustration cause if he only held some of his marks would be the next Peter Knights.. He is somewhat of an enigma I agree but he is the least of our problems I think.

Yeah I agree. Let’s give him a few more years to see. I think he’ll take those marks when he’s in his thirties, just like Peter Knights.

Omeara is about an 8 iron at best.
I was hoping his kicking when we first got him would improve, as his knee improved and he got more confident. It hasn't.

His technique is lacking. He doesn't lean forward, and 'punch' the ball through the air; he leans back. His centre of gravity/momentum/insert physics word here is all wrong.

We need someone to show him videos of Suckling "Here, kick like this...but without the clangers"

Scully and Omearas penetration by foot is horrendous. Scully uses a pitching wedge and Omeara is about an 8 iron at best.

As I said, our talls are showing them up in the kicking department. Even Nash who often gets roasted in bigfooty.

I was hoping his kicking when we first got him would improve, as his knee improved and he got more confident. It hasn't.

His technique is lacking. He doesn't lean forward, and 'punch' the ball through the air; he leans back. His centre of gravity/momentum/insert physics word here is all wrong.

We need someone to show him videos of Suckling "Here, kick like this...but without the clangers"

Very true. You wonder if the knee injury’s prevent him from really punching through his kicks and what we see the higher ball drop and chip action is a result.

Whatever it is we cannot seem to get a mid free.

Dockers were able to win it in tight and then set a running mid free yet our mids are always trying to kick it while stationary and being smashed into.

Drop Scully. Drop ceglar.

bring in Moore if you want someone who can run all day. At least he’ll attack the contest. All I know is those 2 need to be dropped.

Play O’Brien in the backline Sicily forward

wingard permanent mid.

big boy rucks alone and O’Brien gives him A chop out. Sicily can move back when O’Brien plays ruck and wingard can rest up forward.

What gave me the shits with scrimshaw to shiels handball turnover was the one time we handball to a player in motion he turns his back. Yet Nearly every other handball we made was to a stationary target.

Our starting mids are by far the biggest issue. The ones in the centre bounce.

That's Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Ceglar and Shiels. That's the concern. Getting the ball at the source.

Not Scully or Stratton or Morrison, that these threads continuously mull over each week.

Our midfield is failing each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Ceglar and Shiels. That's the concern. Getting the ball at the source.

Not Scully or Stratton or Morrison, that these threads continuously mull over each week.

Hopefully Dan Howe might be ready soon, he is hard at it in there at least

Yep.

Can't expect to win games getting 100 possessions less than the opposition.

The midfield was appalling tonight. Defence generally played well considering how beaten we were in the mids. Forwards had no chance with the quality of our entries.

Day, Sicily, Frost, Gunners, Breust, Scrim our best. Nash did ok in his first game for the year.

After a only a handful of games Day shows the composure in his decision making and shows the foot skills on both sides that many of his senior teammates should be embarrassed by.

I’ve accepted that this is what we are at the moment. We may have to put up with it for another year or two.

Is O’Meara the alpha Judd-like mid we hoped for? No. Is he as bad as some people in here are making him out to be? Absolutely not.
The game when he returned this year showed how damn good he can be. I don’t know why his kicking isn’t like that game every time but maybe we can get him there by telling him he has to be the player the ball is released to. To me, he is the one trying the hardest in most of the games this season.

Putting Wingard in the middle in the 4th quarter was way too late and he just didn’t have room to work with in the game. He needs to be the other player the ball is released to.

I do not understand how a midfield of O’Meara, Worpel, Mitchell and Shiels is being towelled up week in and week out. The talent and toughness is there. Something is wrong. Tom is having a hard time getting back from injury which is understandable.

Will Day is a jet, absolutely love the kid. Scrimshaw looked like he was trying to make something happen but no one was going with him unfortunately.

Nash is worth persisting with imo. Deserves to play on the wing more than Scully. He’s fast, stronger, creates an odd contest due to being tall and as he showed tonight he is a better kick to advantage than Scully.
Maybe give Moore a go on the other wing or push Day/Scrimshaw up there.

All in all, I feel it is more a game plan problem than the cattle. The talent is there. It’s not mixing for whatever reason.

Last thing - what part of the game is Brendan Bolton in charge of at the moment? Have this underlying feeling that he is having a negative effect on how we operate.

We are dropping the hammer on all these players.. But at some stage Clarkson is going to have to take ownership of the shitshow game plan we are running which makes us look like a bunch of indecicive goaltenders.. its unbelievably clear that Bruest, Gunston and wingard etc thrive on a little bit of chaos and fast movement into the forward 50. The game has gone past his cluster, it may work against an unskilled team like carlton, but even fremantle made it clear once again that two short passes to the wing, and then one over the top into the 50, gives you a greater than 50% chance of scoring. And this is far above the rate we are able to score

Our forward half is utterly pathetic. Gunston and Bruest are good, but even they aren't good enough to make that shit show of a strategy worthy of looking competent.

A tell tale sign that shit is about to hit the fan is when you see Gunston in the D50. Tonight, he was seen in there early in the first quarter.

Wingard is fast becoming a flat tracker. Good when we're winning, invisible when we're not.

We are so stationary around the ground. In offence, we run to predetermined spots on the ground, stop and wait. If we get manned up, we still remain where we are. Then we predictably kick high and long down the line where we're outnumbered. Freo sat 3 players 50m down the line from the ball all night, not expecting, but knowing that's where the ball was coming. They ate it up.

In defense, we zone. We run to the predetermined zone spots and stop there. All Freo had to do is run to where we're not. So simple to carve is up. There doesn't appear to be a coaching direction or a player strong enough to override the coaching directive to move from their zone and man up of the loose player to pressure the player with the ball to take a risk, and also to apply perceived pressure to person in the now shutdown space.

Our defensive zone is like watching an u/10's basketball full court zone. Horrifically simple and a piece of cake to get through if you have a skerrick of skill.

Highlight was Sicily sitting on Ethan Hughes shoulders up forward and that’s about it. We had no excuses tonight, extended break going into the game and we got a bounce from the Carlton win so had every reason to put away an average team on a ground we play well. Really disappointing effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11: Hawks audition for top 4 draft pick, v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back