Autopsy Round 11: Hawks audition for top 4 draft pick, v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it’s the players he’s working with or his coaching or both.

Either way, I’m not crazy about having him as the definite protege to Clarko. There’s something about club champs, and especially extremely successful ones which never seems to work when they become coaches.

Yep the common narrative is he will take over, but the midfield teamwork is shizen at the moment

My talking points are:

1. Why do all our players just bomb it down the line, like only a certain few try to hit the corridor the rest just Bomb consistently, we don’t even have marking targets in the FWD line.
2. Last week our mids looked good with Chad in there yet this week until the 4th it was always Mitch, JOM and Worpel.
3. Mitchell is a shadow of the 2018 version. Love him to bits and hope he gets back but he wins it and just bombs it all the time.
4. Harry Morrison love the effort but what do you offer?
5. with the amount of height in the backline can someone kill the ball,fell behind so many times.
6. Cannot begin to comment on the frustration as a fan. We are by far besides the crows the worst team to watch and outside of the blues game I’ve never been so bored watching a hawks game.
I second point 4

To be fair though the drafts were as compromised as they’d ever been before our run at the top with GC/GWS entering the comp.

There’s obviously no quick fix the game was poor, but could there potentially be balance issues? Feel like we have 1 too many of the same type of midfielder, no real point of difference to connect our forwards and backs.

Just give wrighty and co some early picks they can create some havoc in there. Teams thinking they just turn up and load up on players cheaply

As Shiels certainly wasn't calling for it, and wasn't in a good position to get it, and it went nowhere near him, it's 100% on Scrimmers...

We weren't out of it at that stage...we were after that.
It's ingrained in them. First option - handball. Doesn't matter who to or for what purpose, just handball. Preferably backwards or sideways but if not, a high, looping handball forward that a player can run onto and get tackled immediately. Who teaches them this rubbish? It's easily predictable, easily defendable, rarely successful.

Anyone else notice when Stratton was out marked by Lobb he literally just turned around and walked off forcing someone else to walk over to man the mark? Disappointing by Stratton to go with a disappointing night in general.
Stratton last year had poor form and it's worse this year. On top of that he has done some really disappointing things, pinching, not manning the mark, little to no leadership, guidance or encouragement of teammates. And i still cannot get over the goal he gifted against gws. Was in the goal square and ran away so himmleberg could stroll in.

Losing burton won’t hurt us at all, scrimshaw will be the better player when their careers are done, duursma hurts abit though, will be a 200 gamer. The O’Meara deal is the killer, at least wingard is a match winner. O’Meara has proven to be b grade at best. Hunter Clarke is already a better player than him, plus the 3 other second rounders it cost us. Very, very poor deal which has pretty much set our rebuild back 3 years

Did a bit of digging on the O’Meara deal to see who the picks we traded out ended up being.
I hope I’m correct but the players were Hunter Clark, Ben Long and Josh Battle.
At the moment I think we are losing that trade quite badly. None of those guys would be world beaters and to be honest chances are we wouldn’t have even drafted them ourselves, but gee it stings when O’Meara can send anything but a pitching wedge inside 50.

All this is completely reasonable though, but if it's the case why aren't we playing for youth and moving into next year. It's because the coaches still see us turning the corner... This is a fundamental issue in club strategy.

The only upside is the development of kids and we aren't even doing that properly.
Its because they haven't worked it out yet.

None of the staff have experienced anything like this. This is a once in a 100 year event. All the psychs the club use would not have ever studied this or more importantly worked though this to be able to recognise it.

You can see Clarko pulling his hair out about why the game plan ain't working and he is being vocal in the breaks. Won't work. Maybe the final 2 rounds when finals are out of the equation and a.definite return to Melb date is locked in we will play to our ability.

As i said it aint like anything we have seen.

Everyone is overanalysing our efforts based on normal measures which isn't right and why we are all so far apart in opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ingrained in them. First option - handball. Doesn't matter who to or for what purpose, just handball. Preferably backwards or sideways but if not, a high, looping handball forward that a player can run onto and get tackled immediately. Who teaches them this rubbish? It's easily predictable, easily defendable, rarely successful.

It's interesting we were and still are the greatest disposers by foot during our period of dominance (no one is even close since) but we are now perhaps the greatest failure by handball.

Did a bit of digging on the O’Meara deal to see who the picks we traded out ended up being.
At the moment I think we are losing that trade quite badly. None of those guys would be world beaters and to be honest chances are we wouldn’t have even drafted them ourselves, but gee it stings when O’Meara can send anything but a pitching wedge inside 50.

If thats true, that's a terrible result for us.

For Ceg's there is unfortunately no argument anymore apart from his parents grew up with Alistair's which is the only reason why he's still on our list....
TBH if I grew up with al and was a 7 foot giraffe I would be teeing him up for a game to

We would be much better placed with obrien playing ruck, at least we would have another mid in the game, maybe even not one paced :rolleyes:

Mitchell turned a second year kid into our youngest ever PC medalist last year. Hear Worps talk about it, he credits it to Sam. He’s not the problem...
He's there to coach the midfield function. And its not functioning.

Agree Omeara needs to look at himself but our trades have always been win win.

Tonight underlined that our talls are our better field kicks - and Bruest, Wingard. our smalls didn't even mop up spills much tonight. This is where some kids could come in.

I thought our backline kept us in the game. The back 6 all had solid games. Day , scrimshaw and Morrison were solid.
Frwd line is a mess but thank God Gunston cares, he was directly involved in 3 of our 4 goals. Bruest tried hard and Nash was good for a half but the rest were terrible.
Biggest problem is the midfield. Scrappy , slow and at times disinterested when things get really tough.
Cegs is a liability, big boy is so much better as a ruckman follower frwd whatever wherever .
Oppo mids running rings around us like swatting off flies. Plus, the midfield just don't get dangerous enough.
The days of Lewis Hodge Burgoyne Smith hurting the opposition are well and truly behind us and God knows, I miss it!

Here's another bad bit for the night, Scully's current game makes no sense, I can't remember a time he won a 1on1 contest.

And if he is playing so loose he should be burning teams on the outside but his disposal is mediocre at best but is a major reason why our forward play is so bad. Our outside run lacks damage and opposition teams are happy to use him as our out because they know he won't hurt them. So that means that they can focus on limiting smith/others because Scully is fairy floss.

Some of these decisions are seriously baffling and the only summary I come to is the coaches have seriously overvalued the players on the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 11: Hawks audition for top 4 draft pick, v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back