Preview Round 11: Port Adelaide vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 29/05/2022 @ 4:40 PM

Can we win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good chance to bring in more younsters, gain more experience, and try some new plays.

Port by 43 points, but its more about next year.

If anyone in Canberra wants to meet and watch the game at one of Eastlake or Ainslie football clubs feel free to PM me.

Since we've been shit the drop off in Essendon supporters watching games at both venues has been remarkable - from 10 to 30 per game to often just me or 2 or 3. Others.

Bryan is promising and shown some nice glimpses, but to call him 'in form' is an exaggeration.

Not compared to the always in form Andrew Phillips?

Drop Francis, Cutler, McGrath, Waterman, Draper or Shiel. Why drop a kid who actually has a crack when we have senior blokes running around who clearly don't give a ****

Phillips is better than Bryan right now, can go longer and complete harder and give another senior body for a very young team. He can provide immediate on the ground feedback and coaching to Draper. Being able to go longer around the ground he's more likely to consistently allow our team to see how we look at stoppages with at least a halved contest. This helps attack and defense. He should also be more likely to stick to our structures around the ground with his work ethic and fitness.

Mind you, I still wish we were playing Bryan as I want more games into him and think he'll be good but I guess I do understand why, especially when we already have another inexperienced ruck out there.

I think you can make that argument but I think we need games into players now.
Phillips can do his coaching on the training track and fill in when players are sore or tired, otherwise for mine get games into Bryan who you at least show exposed form for trade. He gains nothing playing in that piece of shit we call a VFL side.
It feels short term, but I understand it is a balancing act and some weeks it may lean too far one way. I'm not lashing them for it, just a bit disappointed.

In: Phillips, Jones, Ridley, Caldwell
Out: Guelfi (inj), Redman (susp), Francis, Bryan, Cutler (omitted)

Name Zerk on field and then name him as an emergency. Bizarre

Must’ve got word they were dropping georgiades
Sorry but that's crap. They're still playing 3 key forwards and a ruck. We're gonna be putting Lav and Kelly on blokes they're giving between 6 and 9 cm away to.

Plus we're now playing only 6 defenders, I guess McGrath and Merrett might rotate back as well.

Sorry but that's crap. They're still playing 3 key forwards and a ruck. We're gonna be putting Lav and Kelly on blokes they're giving between 6 and 9 cm away to.

Plus we're now playing only 6 defenders, I guess McGrath and Merrett might rotate back as well.
The entire field has been rejigged. Like Durham and Smith swapped totally randomly, as well as some other things. Very unusual.

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 18.44.56.png

I agree with you I’d rather have him playing. Though the naming of the field means nothing. Like we have Hobbs named at chf 😂 they just chuck the names anywhere. One of the problems is they said they brought Kelly in to play on smalls and he’s been playing tall. So we now have 3 mid sized defenders playing on the talls. When really we should have 2 talls taking the keys, laverde and Ridley either intercept/ take next best and Kelly on best small. With heppell also in the backline it kindve makes it hard to fit everyone in.

8-15mm of rain due could be a reason.

Maybe, but apparently the club is going to have to take Noah's ark to get to the ground on Sunday if you trust the weather reports.

Bringing 3 KPF into a deluge may be a mistake for them, whereas a slightly more mobile defence will be more useful in the wet in theory. Also being slightly undersized will be less of a problem when the ball is slippery and harder to mark.

All prognosticating of course, but I can only assume that is their thinking.

I agree with you I’d rather have him playing. Though the naming of the field means nothing. Like we have Hobbs named at chf 😂 they just chuck the names anywhere. One of the problems is they said they brought Kelly in to play on smalls and he’s been playing tall. So we now have 3 mid sized defenders playing on the talls. When really we should have 2 talls taking the keys, laverde and Ridley either intercept/ take next best and Kelly on best small. With heppell also in the backline it kindve makes it hard to fit everyone in.
Naming on the field always means playing. Where on the field doesn’t matter, they might play at the other end of the field, or even start on the bench.

But naming on the field always means playing, and most of the time the changes are all like for like, they don’t change the structure much.

We’ve tested the theory every week for years… this is the first time it hasn’t come out without a late withdrawal where it has been signposted that the player is ill or injured.

I would say your original theory of them learning something that influenced a structural change is probably right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8-15mm of rain due could be a reason.
wasn’t the weather always going to be shitty though?

it’s like they’re playing the classic essendon memes for the 150th celebration and this will be used for a clip show

Our awesome defensive work rate will cover us.......

Come to terms that we don't want to win.
Clear tank year.

Dev Smith still getting a game, have we caught up to carltons can you smell what we’re cooking part of the rebuild yet?

Came in here to post the same. I think even he’d be bemused he was selected. Shit, play Ham ahead of him….nauseating seeing him named on a wing.

Just holding the fort, barely, until we get a top 26 players team out there.

Jones and Caldwell back. Redman joins them next week. Stringer, Langford, Snelling and Stewart after the bye.

That we have no one else decent is the answer to why we carry Smith.

Having said that there aren't a stack of excuses for the blow-out that feels like it's on it's way. The midfield is missing one player.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: McDonald-Tipungwuti, Langford, Redman, Gleeson, Ham, Hooker, Francis, Snelling, Cox, Cutler, Cahill
ESSENDON INS: Reid, Kelly, Heppell, Perkins, Hobbs, Durham, Waterman, Phillips, Martin, Wanganeen

PORT OUTS: Lycett, Ladhams, Georgiades, Hartlett, Fantasia, Duursma, Bergman, Rockliff
PORT INS: Dumont, Marshall, Rozee, Powell-Pepper, Finlayson, Bonner, Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back