Preview Round 12: Bulldogs vs Cats, Sat 3 June @ 7:25pm - Superhero Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mentioned It last week and I'll say it again.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we started planning for next year and putting things in place to be in better shape to have another crack in 2024 than busting our balls to just scrape into the 8 and not really be a threat (might not even crack the 8 either going full throttle).

Of course, there is the "once in a blue moon" situation where people think we can just do what we did last year and get on a huge roll after the bye with a few guys back in the side, but with Selwood gone, our senior players one year older and the kids just not ready to step up yet... I'm not expecting it to be our year.

Personally, I'd be happy to keep playing the kids.

Fast track Mullin so he is a chance to be a real weapon next year... get him the games under his belt to be ready to explode in 2024 (midfield time also for him).

Give Knevitt, Dempsey and Bruhn the games... Sure they are getting them now but when some guys come back they may slide out of the side.

If Neale/Conway are ready later in the year... Play them.

Give this Hardie dude a run of games to see if he can handle the top level once settled in here and be a real asset next season.

Try guys in different positions so if needed it can be a helpful experience next year.

DO NOT FLOG the older guys to death and give them a spell so they don't burn out (Smith, Blitz, Hawkins... even Cameron)... Obviously guys like Henry, Danger and Duncan are already having time off but when they come back don't be scared to give them more time off.

Sure we will lose plenty more games but we will be in a better position for next year and probably have a top 6, 7, or 8 draft pick to put to use on another top young kid to help build for the future.

Yes I have given up hope this year... I doubt the club has but if we lose a few more maybe they do start thinking about optimizing for 2024.

Going B2B is very hard... especially with a bazillion injuries and an aging list.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we started planning for next year and putting things in place to be in better shape to have another crack in 2024 than busting our balls to just scrape into the 8 and not really be a threat (might not even crack the 8 either going full throttle).

Of course, there is the "once in a blue moon" situation where people think we can just do what we did last year and get on a huge roll after the bye with a few guys back in the side, but with Selwood gone, our senior players one year older and the kids just not ready to step up yet... I'm not expecting it to be our year.

Fast track Mullin so he is a chance to be a real weapon next year... get him the games under his belt to be ready to explode in 2024 (midfield time also for him).

Give Knevitt, Dempsey and Bruhn the games... Sure they are getting them now but when some guys come back they may slide out of the side.

Give this Hardie dude a run of games to see if he can handle the top level once settled in here and be a real asset next season.

Try guys in different positions so if needed it can be a helpful experience next year.

DO NOT FLOG the older guys to death and give them a spell so they don't burn out (Smith, Blitz, Hawkins... even Cameron)... Obviously guys like Henry, Danger and Duncan are already having time off but when they come back don't be scared to give them more time off.

Sure we will lose plenty more games but we will be in a better position for next year and probably have a top 6, 7, or 8 draft pick to put to use on another top young kid to help build for the future.

Yes I have given up hope this year... I doubt the club has but if we lose a few more maybe they do start thinking about optimizing for 2024.

Going B2B is very hard... especially with a bazillion injuries and an aging list.

We arent going to finish bottom 4 and there isnt enough difference between say pick 8 and pick 11 so bother doing that.

Melbourne?

I guess we will have players back by then right....

We will have players back by then right?
It’s the year 2029 pre mid-season bye…

Dangerfield’s “hamstring tightness” starts primary school.

Isn't conditioning meant to limit soft tissue injuries? Isaac Smith is doing it right. What's his secret? I hope they do more stretching than hold the shoulder of a team mate and swing your leg back and forward.

If I told you at the start of the season that by the mid season bye:

• Knevitt plays 7 games
  • Dempsey plays 3 potentially 4 games
  • Ollie Henry plays 11, missing 1 through injury
  • Bruhn plays 8 games
  • Clark debuts
  • Mullin debuts
  • Whyte debuts
  • Sam Simpson plays 5
  • Sav has breakout as defender missing only though injury
You would say we're doing exactly that

Isn't conditioning meant to limit soft tissue injuries? Isaac Smith is doing it right. What's his secret? I hope they do more stretching than hold the shoulder of a team mate and swing your leg back and forward.
If I had to point at something I would say low playing weight

I reckon we are a few losses away from that?

In the meantime I am curious to see how this week goes - in terms of hoping to see Mitch play more in midfield and Close through the middle. Maybe O Henry on the wing. Let’s mix it up still trying to win?

In terms of Neale and Dempsey getting more games I think that will be at back end of the year once club has given up on finals or have determined they can’t make it with “best 22”.

Will be very interesting to see where we get to in the next month…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parfitt?? I imagine so and rightfully the case.. He has been given ample midfield opportunities after a full pre season as well. He just is not up to it sadly. The modern game just seems to have gone a direction that does not suit his abilities.

My own observations of his traits is he lacks penetration and hurt factor... He is a very shallow non penetrating kick and lacks explosion or power from contests.. He isnt a great two way runner or spread player like stengle or close as a HF.. So i just dont see the hurt value with his traits as a mid or forward nor any penetration or damage with his general kicking..

Footy these days seems to be about high burst defensive transitioning from HB to FF with run and penetration.. Parfitt doesnt add much to this and often disrupts the flow when he gets it.

Rohan is a low possesions footy player but a good example of a player that is suited to this sort of footy when he gets it.. Very explosive quick and penetrating when he gets it on transition from C-FF... Will often break away or run into the fifty to get a goal out back, or bomb it 55-60m to cameron hawkins if he isnt competing himself.

Tbh Narkle looks like a better option than Parfitt. Parf just doesn’t affect games. Narkle had some X factor. Neither ideal though. Both break glass in case of emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the first time this season we face a game where we are clear underdogs and have nothing to lose. Statistically, this season is cooked but the list, if not decimated by injury, looks good.
Looking to 2024. Hawkins 50/50.
Tuohy probably done. Mullins as an upgrade.
Menengola gone.
Stanley maybe gone. Conway?
Guthrie Duncan 1-2 seasons left. Time enough to transition the young kids.
So this season is to blood the kids. Keep yourself in the running for a miraculous comeback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is strong logic, as I still think that at full strength our list is good enough to contend in 2024. We won the premiership at an absolute canter only 11 games ago, so it's not delusional to suggest we're capable of bouncing back from this season.

That said, I think the fly in the ointment is that if we miss finals, I'm concerned it may cause several of our older guys to pull the plug on their careers on the basis of thinking that our time in premiership contention is over. Which could become a self-fulfilling prophesy. We need the high-performing 30+ guys like Hawkins and Smith to go around again if we want to bounce back into the flag race, but I reckon it'll be harder to convince them to do so our ladder position screams "falling out of contention" more than it does "genuine 2024 flag contender."

This is strong logic, as I still think that at full strength our list is good enough to contend in 2024. We won the premiership at an absolute canter only 11 games ago, so it's not delusional to suggest we're capable of bouncing back from this season.

That said, I think the fly in the ointment is that if we miss finals, I'm concerned it may cause several of our older guys to pull the plug on their careers on the basis of thinking that our time in premiership contention is over. Which could become a self-fulfilling prophesy. We need the high-performing 30+ guys like Hawkins and Smith to go around again if we want to bounce back into the flag race, but I reckon it'll be harder to convince them to do so our ladder position screams "falling out of contention" more than it does "genuine 2024 flag contender."
I think a few of them would like to top up the super and continue playing regardless.

I think a bunch are also gone regardless.

I think a few of them would like to top up the super and continue playing regardless.

I think a bunch are also gone regardless.
Like you, I don't think it will tend to matter greatly whether we finish strongly this year or collapse under the weight of an almost endless injury list. All the key vets have a premiership under their belts now, so realising the dream of a flag won't have the same magnetism for any of them. For me, then, the two chief factors for any players considering retirement will be:

(a) do I figure that my want is great enough and my body is strong enough to go around again?
(b) do I believe that a healthy incarnation of our list for 2024 looks in good enough shape for us to be more than making up the numbers?

I believe the answers to those two questions (rather than a primary focus on our 2023 finishing position) will be the key considerations for players who are deciding whether to saddle up again in 2024.

will Jack Henry start fwd this week ? hes been shifted around a lot the last couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back