Autopsy Round 13 2018 Sydney vs West coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be somewhat hesitant going with a defence with Rampe, Melican, Aliir and Grundy all in the side, particularly as it appears Longmire appears to want Rampe to be our primary defender on the deepest big forward. Throw McVeigh back into the mix and we might be a bit slow down back with them all in.

We play a team defence anyway. If it’s down in our back line, there will usually be a few mids plus some flankers like Lloyd, Jones, McVeigh to carry it out. The four talls are effective because they make it hard for opposition teams to find targets inside their forward line. Ie last night West Coast were ******* up their targets tall and small, because Aliir and Grundy were just completely throwing them off.

Jones playing almost purely off HB since Mills went down. No doubt he could make a good mid, but I like him down back where he really uses his run..plays in a much more attacking and daring way than our most our other HB options who are very cautious and often indecisive, sometimes to the detriment of our ball movement. Jones certainly helps a fair bit in that area.

Reid and Melican should both be spending at least a few games in the reserves. McCartin, Marsh/Allir are playing well enough that we don't need to be taking risks and rushing them back.

Too many H&A games with meaningless medals.

You don’t value the Woolworths discount bbq chook medal for best attempted spoil in the saints suns game?

Marsh will be unlucky when Macca is fit

Jack is boarder line 22 for me , would have Towers in
Well then, how bout leaving Marsh and McV in ? Cause Marsh has been doing well - and I didn't mind AA driving us out of defense as opposed to McV - who could do some damage further upfield delivering into the fwd 50.

Jones playing almost purely off HB since Mills went down. No doubt he could make a good mid, but I like him down back where he really uses his run..plays in a much more attacking and daring way than our most our other HB options who are very cautious and often indecisive, sometimes to the detriment of our ball movement. Jones certainly helps a fair bit in that area.

Reid and Melican should both be spending at least a few games in the reserves. McCartin, Marsh/Allir are playing well enough that we don't need to be taking risks and rushing them back.
Agreed. Pretty pointless discussion when those guys are still several rounds away from seniors. You never know who else might go out in that time too.

Let's have some perspective with this. Despite our team having more debutants than any other in competition we have controlled and beaten the team running first decisively. No more complaints about Horse please- he has taken these debutants and moulded them to be collective high achievers in a highly competitive competition in a space of time where other teams haven't even introduced such draftees let alone moulded them. We are on the cusp of a dynasty IMO. So excited. Wow. Simply WOW. The commentators just seem to accept we are a good team because we always are without giving due regard to the fact most are newbies. If it was a VIC based team doing that the superlatives would fly and would be justified

Great post Puke :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was so impressive seeing the way the swans would absorb pressure for long periods and then when they applied pressure how the other side were eventually worn down, its not only tackling pressure, but perceived tackling pressure, covering space and congesting the play area that made the decision making of the opponent look poor. The intensity of the game was finals like for most of the game. The back six were pretty dynamic against the eagles. Will be different against a smaller team like Richmond though. This back line with McVeigh Melican and Mills missing is just phenomenal

Grundy was amazing tonight and showed why he is a 250 gamer. Smith back to his best as well. Lloyd stepped up and brought some extra fire tonight.
Aliir was impressive considering how much pressure he should have been in and as a big game player I think this should be taken into consideration come finals time. Rampe looked strong tonight being able to move around more. Lloyd was great again tonight. Marsh I thought had some really good defensive acts and was probably his best game.

It was expected the midfield would have a hard time at the centre because Sinclair was obviously going to struggle but that was expected. He did adjust playing a kind of defensive role against Naitanui which worked in the end. Hewett is so reliable. He does the offense as well as the defense. Kennedy speaking of reliable. These two in the midfield are like rocks. Florent is wow, he is improving every week, how many break out games has he had now. Heeney was a but wasteful and selfish same as Jones but the good they did outweighed the bad always dangerous and brings contested football. Cunningham doing a great job in the wings and closing space. Parker was a bit up and down but again the pressure of the other team was immense Jack and Hannerberry also had down days same but all in all the pressure from west coast is why the one's that did have down days were affected that and some injuries which hopefully manage themselves. McCartin Impressive for the youngster since he really stepped up a gear tonight. He looked lost when he was going for that goal however what he was able to do was a big improvement in the short time he has had.

Rohan his 10 touches were meaningful however its the pressure he brings both defensive and offensive that makes the opposition have to make early decisions is what is great about him and this is what ronke will hopefully become soon. Ronkes pressure was great and handy for a few goals but moment his pressure is raw and his foot and hand skills are bit iffy still so needs a bit of work and he will be a gun. Papley had a good game and again pressure.
Hayward had an off night with the injury and the falcon but will be back next week. Buddy had an off night but those things are easily fixable except buddy looked a bit impatient with the delivery and with just cause as the pressure from west coast also made the swans kicking game a bit of a mixed bag. Although there were five misses that should have been easy goals.

For the next game I know McVeigh should be back but unless hannerberry is managed or Jack is managed again I would rest McVeigh and leave Marsh in as Marsh just had his best game as well and Marsh is a faster defender for a team like Richmond. Melican and Reid need about two matches under their belt in the neafl before being selected.

Overall The grade for the team half way into the season is a solid b plus worthy of a top 4 finish. Once a few small things improve with the team such as the quicker delivery to the forward targets becoming more effective then the swans will be hard to beat. Just remember that half way into the season last year the swans were 5-7 having a tough run home. This year it is 10-3 with a similar run home. 3 games at the swans fortress at etihad and 4 games at the SCG and one game at spotless might be a good run home. the MCG game against melbourne will obviously a be a big game but it looks like all these matches are very winnable. The next six games will be like home games for the swans as the swans have won the last 14 out of 15 games at etihad. Getting the 16 wins to lock in a top 4 finish still be difficult but very doable.

RICHvSYD Etihad
SYDvGEEL SCG
NMFCvSYD Etihad
SYDvGCFC SCG
ESSvSYD Etihad
SYDvCOLL SCG
MELBvSYD MCG
GWSvSYD Spotless
SYDvHAW SCG

As long as the team picks their sides taking into consideration capabilities and the environment then I don't see how the swans will not field a competitive team for every round at selection
Slow day today? Pretty good essay IMO.

Despite our team having more debutants than any other in competition

Interested in this comment as the Eagles have 7 debutants this year and with Ah Chee 8, though of course he as played for Port in the senior team. The only list of debutants for 2018 I could find without spending too much time looking showed Fremantle with 7 new players also. It listed Sydney as having 3 though the list may not have been updated for 2 weeks. How many debutants have Sydney had in 2018 if that list is wrong.

Interested in this comment as the Eagles have 7 debutants this year and with Ah Chee 8, though of course he as played for Port in the senior team. The only list of debutants for 2018 I could find without spending too much time looking showed Fremantle with 7 new players also. It listed Sydney as having 3 though the list may not have been updated for 2 weeks. How many debutants have Sydney had in 2018 if that list is wrong.

I know we’ve had the (equal) most debutants since 2016. The vast majority of those have gone on to be locks in the best 22 or be very handy depth players to us (Hewett, Papley, Mills, Aliir, Marsh, Florent, Hayward, Newman, Fox, Melican, Ronke and McCartin, plus other young guns like Jones and Heeney.)
So while we haven’t had the most this year, I think if you look over the past 2 and a half seasons, at the kids every club has brought in, we have without a doubt come out on top. To not only have the most debutants, but to then have them form part of a flag-contending side that’s won 25 of the last 31 games... that is huge.

A not-so-humble brag but ehh

I know we’ve had the (equal) most debutants since 2016. The vast majority of those have gone on to be locks in the best 22 or be very handy depth players to us (Hewett, Papley, Mills, Aliir, Marsh, Florent, Hayward, Newman, Fox, Melican, Ronke and McCartin, plus other young guns like Jones and Heeney.)
So while we haven’t had the most this year, I think if you look over the past 2 and a half seasons, at the kids every club has brought in, we have without a doubt come out on top. To not only have the most debutants, but to then have them form part of a flag-contending side that’s won 25 of the last 31 games... that is huge.

A not-so-humble brag but ehh

I see that one of my fellow board members has posted a response so I will rely on that. Probably all the better too, I tend not to respond to other board members requests to do work for them. I beckon ONLY to requests of my parter kinda like they were demands!!! lol But strangers.....no I'm sorry. Go that track and you'd soon have me washing your car every weekend. Pass. Yeah I know.....how selfish eh

It flies under the radar that we have developed and locked new talent so quickly. A secret we like to keep secret. We like the rest of the AFL community being ignorant. They won't understand why we smirk at them that way when they try for instance to suggest that a loss is explicable by the ground or inexperienced players in comparison.

To state the obvious that should be obvious but isn't to Weagles board members ........I've never seen grass or dirt or marked lines interfere with a player. Would be rather spooky if it did but you understand my message I guess.

Cheers

Last edited:
Watching the 4th quarter replay this morning.

Did anyone else notice McGovern coming to Buddy after the game and having some friendly words?

Now, i'm no professional lip reader but looked like McGovern said "Almost a done deal. See you soon mate"

Funny. As good as he is I wouldn't want him at the money they are talking about. AA and Melican can do that job at half the price being bandied about. And we can then afford to keep Lloyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13 2018 Sydney vs West coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back