Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Early season we relied on stopppage dominance to be competitive. But we got smacked in clearances (47-27) and won. Our transition play is starting to click - we look so better structured and balanced over the park with talls at both ends and pace across the park.

Hard to fathom the turnaround vs last week. Brisbane have serious issues at the MCG and probably thought had game in bag 17 points up in 3rd quarter but we’ve shown good character and resilience - if teams take us easy we will keep coming to the end (as saints and now Brisbane have found).

Early season we relied on stopppage dominance to be competitive. But we got smacked in clearances (47-27) and won. Our transition play is starting to click - we look so better structured and balanced over the park with talls at both ends and pace across the park.

Hard to fathom the turnaround vs last week. Brisbane have serious issues at the MCG and probably thought had game in bag 17 points up in 3rd quarter but we’ve shown good character and resilience - if teams take us easy we will keep coming to the end (as saints and now Brisbane have found).
We won centre clearances which was the important thing. Enabled us to have good field position which helped despite losing the around the ground clearances. Which in turn led to winning the inside 50’s.

We didn’t let the lions transition the ball at all. We forced them into 77 turnovers to our 58. Which enabled us to punish them.

They're saying minimum 2 weeks. This could get ugly.

Once again the media trying to dictate what their desperate backsides want to happen so they can get a week of sensationalism and ultimately click bait.

I don't think it was that hard to fathom at all. We had the better of Port in the second half and Port are a better team than Brisbane. People said that Port took their foot off the pedal and there may have been a bit of that but it is also true that we got our act together and played some good football.

Immediately thought Sicily would go because of the concussion, the MRO over zealousness this season and coz…. James Sicily

But watching it now I don’t think he has a case to answer, he got him in the tackle perfectly fairly and McCluggage was fine after the tackle completed. It was the tangle of bodies afterwards that unfortunately saw him come off worse for wear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Immediately thought Sicily would go because of the concussion, the MRO over zealousness this season and coz…. James Sicily

But watching it now I don’t think he has a case to answer, he got him in the tackle perfectly fairly and McCluggage was fine after the tackle completed. It was the tangle of bodies afterwards that unfortunately saw him come off worse for wear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Better not go. Want him to take Carlton apart.

Well at least the extreme ness of the injury rules out the. ‘Potential to cause’. Unless of course they say potential to cause near death.
They'll just go with 'Potential to cause injury to the Brisbane Full Back: because IF Sicily had a rifle in his shorts he POTENTIALLY could have injured a dude at the other end of the ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day had a great game - but there's something about his disposal that lacks the finer tuning of our other better players.
That's the next challenge for him, if he's to get into that elite category. I am not bothered by it at this stage though as I think it is a product of both exhaustion and feeling rushed playing in midfield. We know his ball use can be good so he's not a player who simply lacks the skills (like say Maginness or even Worpel).

Day's disposal and Newcombe's capacity to maintain consistency over 4 quarters are the areas for each of them to iron out to get to the top level.

It's a really good mix as Newcombe, Day, Nash, Mackenzie, Macdonald and Ward are all very different types. Building blocks of an excellent midfield if each can continue to improve

I don't think it was that hard to fathom at all. We had the better of Port in the second half and Port are a better team than Brisbane. People said that Port took their foot off the pedal and there may have been a bit of that but it is also true that we got our act together and played some good football.
Also - we got steamrolled by Port in an enormous way without Sicily there. I don't think Finlayson would have kicked a single goal iff Sicily was playing. Once we made a few changes and worked out how to organise without Sicily there we did ok.

TBF the tackle from Sicily was ok, it was the collision with Brockman(?) in the tackle that knocked him out. Basically he was cannoned into Brockman’s hip then into the ground.

Sicily pressing himself up on the guy’s body was not a good look.

That's the next challenge for him, if he's to get into that elite category. I am not bothered by it at this stage though as I think it is a product of both exhaustion and feeling rushed playing in midfield. We know his ball use can be good so he's not a player who simply lacks the skills (like say Maginness or even Worpel).

Day's disposal and Newcombe's capacity to maintain consistency over 4 quarters are the areas for each of them to iron out to get to the top level.

It's a really good mix as Newcombe, Day, Nash, Mackenzie, Macdonald and Ward are all very different types. Building blocks of an excellent midfield if each can continue to improve
Day reminds me so much of a better-marking Bontempelli, whose disposal got much better over the course of his career

It's a really good mix - and people often forget Worpel as part of that mix.

Day, Nash and Worpel do amazing clearance work.
Newcombe, McKenzie, MacDonald, Ward have some polish to take advantage of it.

I guess we know who the club is going to name as MVP, the guy who will soon be marked as Dusty II.

The fans vote for the MVP not the club.

Immediately thought Sicily would go because of the concussion

Not having a shot at you, I just chose this comment to highlight what really is annoying me in football these days. There seems to be this mindset that just because someone sustains an injury, then someone else MUST be guilty of something.

Sicily has done nothing wrong here, it was unfortunate someone got hurt, but it is a collision sport, and accidents do happen. Players should be aware of the risks before they take the field, and if they don't accept this, then maybe find something else to do.

I'm all for scrubbing out players who commit unnecessary acts, but some of the things players are getting suspended for these days is ridiculous.

Once again the media trying to dictate what their desperate backsides want to happen so they can get a week of sensationalism and ultimately click bait.

To be fair, for the most part, Fox and 9 believes there’s too much grey area as he did everything the AFL says you should do but will get a week just because concussed

I know this is all about protecting the head but if it was an accidental knee from Brocky that caused the concussion, it would be deemed accidental.

Therefore to say he gets a week just because he was concussed is bizzare thinking if he has followed the “rules”

TBF the tackle from Sicily was ok, it was the collision with Brockman(?) in the tackle that knocked him out. Basically he was cannoned into Brockman’s hip then into the ground.

Sicily pressing himself up on the guy’s body was not a good look.
Players lift themselves off other players all the time. Clearly Sic had no idea of the extent of the injury at that moment.

To be fair, for the most part, Fox and 9 believes there’s too much grey area as he did everything the AFL says you should do but will get a week just because concussed

I know this is all about protecting the head but if it was an accidental knee from Brocky that caused the concussion, it would be deemed accidental.

Therefore to say he gets a week just because he was concussed is bizzare thinking if he has followed the “rules”
I think that if the footage clearly shows that contact by Brocky contributed to the injury then Sicily should be cleared. Although I’ve only seen one angle of footage.

Players lift themselves off other players all the time. Clearly Sic had no idea of the extent of the injury at that moment.
I think the problem we are faced with these days is there are far too many snowflakes who never played the game commenting on it. They seem to think there is a sinister motivation for everything a player does. Drives me nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn mauls Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back