Preview Round 13, 2023 : Hawthorn v Brisbane, 1:45pm Sat 10th June, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t call myself a doomer but a realist. If he’s not getting a game in a bottom 3 side even when Sicily or Frost are missing then there’s a big question on whether he ever fits in Sam’s best 22. Reading the VFL coaches reports it seems to be consistency of effort throughout the 4 quarters that’s holding him back.

I really hope he gets a chance and grabs it as I loved his attack on the ball in his early games.
I can't see who he pushes out this week over: Sicily, Mitchell, Hardwick, Impey, Weddle, Scrim and Bramble. I think there'd be more angst on these boards if any of those guys lost their spot. Maybe Scrim, but even he has probably done enough to stay in this week.

I'd be much more worried if he were 23 and in this position.

Because he wants to be part of something special. He has bought into Sam's vision. Loves his teammates, they are a really close group of players and loves coming to training. Finally and most importantly I don't see him as a quitter who will look for greener pastures just because things are hard. He is tougher and more resilient than that.

Heh. I laugh because if any of the developing players read this site they would slit their own throats. This place is brutal on the personal attack hot takes. You're either a superstar or not worth the oxygen it takes to stay alive. (I'm not talking about your commentary TFP. Your posts demonstrate the contrast with crazy quite well.)

Good luck to our defenders, I reckon they could be in for a long day. Their team is stacked. Really hope we can pull something out of nothing and win the game or at least be competitive the whole game.
Agree. If our mid field defensive pressure is not much improved from last week we’ll be in serious trouble given the talent in their forward half. I think they are also the leading team for goals scored from forward line stoppages so our not-always-switched on defence has to be really focussed this week.

I can't see who he pushes out this week over: Sicily, Mitchell, Hardwick, Impey, Weddle, Scrim and Bramble. I think there'd be more angst on these boards if any of those guys lost their spot. Maybe Scrim, but even he has probably done enough to stay in this week.

I'd be much more worried if he were 23 and in this position.
You can't always rush quality, especially when it's as raw as DGB is in a lot of ways. He might have been an early pick but he came from a very compromised draft, he has a relatively low fitness base for an AFL player and we're grooming him for probably the most difficult and accountable role on the field. As a key defender you're expected to be mentally on all the time, you're barely ever rotated off the ground and you're constantly working. It's much better for him to be working towards that in the VFL where the results don't matter, rather than lining up on a mature key forward in their prime years and losing over and over.

Rance played in the VFL seconds in his first year, he was in and out for his next 2 years and looked absolutely terrible. Darcy Moore was still looking like a failed forward 4 years into his career, similar with Michael Hurley for the first 5 years of his career. Jeremy McGovern was barred from practice for fitness issues and barely played for his first 3. Harry Taylor wasn't even on an AFL list until he was 21.

We can afford to be patient here. Denver has the footy sense and the athletic qualities, he just needs more time to get his tank up to where it needs to be and to stay switched on. The VFL is the best place for him to do that.

You can't always rush quality, especially when it's as raw as DGB is in a lot of ways. He might have been an early pick but he came from a very compromised draft, he has a relatively low fitness base for an AFL player and we're grooming him for probably the most difficult and accountable role on the field. As a key defender you're expected to be mentally on all the time, you're barely ever rotated off the ground and you're constantly working. It's much better for him to be working towards that in the VFL where the results don't matter, rather than lining up on a mature key forward in their prime years and losing over and over.

Rance played in the VFL seconds in his first year, he was in and out for his next 2 years and looked absolutely terrible. Darcy Moore was still looking like a failed forward 4 years into his career, similar with Michael Hurley for the first 5 years of his career. Jeremy McGovern was barred from practice for fitness issues and barely played for his first 3. Harry Taylor wasn't even on an AFL list until he was 21.

We can afford to be patient here. Denver has the footy sense and the athletic qualities, he just needs more time to get his tank up to where it needs to be and to stay switched on. The VFL is the best place for him to do that.
Another very good piece by KJ ... DGB needs to be able to settle, forget the wild-man stuff, and concentrate on his craft hence my post a few pages back. I hope he makes it because I feel his personality is infectious and he could become a very good leader down back.

IMG_0690.jpeg IMG_0677.jpeg Went to Waverley today.
All named 26 players (including emergencies) were there.
Everyone’s doing their usual drill/stuff, no one seems hurt (based on my untrained eye, I know some players still play even not 100%).

Will Day has given me a thumbs up.
I haven’t asked if he’s 100% (hopefully he is though).

West Coast via Box Hill.

Just joking. Go Denver!
He could be Micheal Tuck mk2.
Any old timers remember writing off Tucky early on?

Yeah. Martin's Café, Glenferrie Rd, 1972. There was an entire sub-faction in that café that wanted Tucky traded, or else a kitten was going to die.

Still remember the blue hessian notice board next to the bain marie where people stuck up their comments about Hudson, Matthews, Scott, etc.

And Martin's did the best vol-au-vents.

I'll post it here, but also try and remember to do it tomorrow in the game day thread.

For all my fellow Frankston Line Hawkers. Buses are replacing Trains atm btw Moorabbin and Caulfield.

It's meant to finish today, but I'd double check the app tomorrow for closures.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like it's going to be another touch up tomorrow. hope I'm wrong and we continue to beat the Lions at the G.
Almost impossible to predict atm. My hope is we keep up the pressure and effort from the start, through to the end. If we do that, we won't be thrashed and give ourselves a chance. Go Hawks!

Almost impossible to predict atm. My hope is we keep up the pressure and effort from the start, through to the end. If we do that, we won't be thrashed and give ourselves a chance. Go Hawks!
For us to win this game, we need an extremely hot start. Pressure has to be high, we have to win clearances and we have to convert going inside 50. If we can get off to a hot start we should be right. If we got off to a bad start it could all go pear shape from there.

Based on some recent interviews (the last one with Ned Reeves), they mentioned that they’re aware of their slow starts and are planning to do something about it.

Can someone tell me what’s wrong with will day? Is he 100% to play?
Apparently Will Day’s ribs are sore for a few weeks now and been playing through them.
Possibly a late out but you never know.
Take what I say as a rumour though.

I'll post it here, but also try and remember to do it tomorrow in the game day thread.

For all my fellow Frankston Line Hawkers. Buses are replacing Trains atm btw Moorabbin and Caulfield.

It's meant to finish today, but I'd double check the app tomorrow for closures.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
Buses will replace trains all weekend between Flinders and Moorabbin. The line is pretty much completely ****ed until early August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back