Autopsy Round 13, 2024: St.Kilda v Gold Coast: #GrabGate2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunter Clark is in his first season and has played at the level reid has? Sounds selective AF.
As sensible a conclusion as your post on Clark.
How selective would it look to say Great 1st and last qtrs by Clark with six in the first and really stood up with 8 in the last.

You have always had an agenda with Clark and grabbing two of his 4 qtr stats just suits your narrative.
We get it you hate Clark.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Well from my view of our games, and then contrasting it with other games I have watched recently, our number one problem is ball use:
1/ Choosing where to kick or handball
2/ Executing that kick or handball.

Now one can argue somewhat that gameplan could effect 1/ , and it may. ie say if there is an instruction to handball a lot.

But I personally think that it is not the gameplan so much, but is in the main just 1/ and 2/ being done poorly. Our players do this with short passes and handball, and not just the roost.

I say this as I often see that there is a player "on" to go to much of the time, but that we just do not give it well to that player, or players, enough.

We as a team are just not clean with the ball.

Last week against the Eagles, Ross late in the game delivered two pearlers of passes to Higgins. This is not as common for our team as I see from other teams.

Now this week by contrast Wilson twice late in the game gathered the ball superbly, use his pace and running ability to perfection to burst away, but then when he had a forward on each time his kick instead went to Mac Andrew.

Now yes we also do roost it times, but so does every team. The difference is that when we do have an option on, that we are poor at getting it well, to the right option.

This then denies us scoring chains, and then also creates scoring chains for our opposition. This is a lose/lose scenario.

PS: I am not having a go at Wilson as he has been a great pickup. The two examples just illustrate my point.
Hard to deliver the ball to your forwards when they are playing from behind- King and Membrey too slow off the mark to lead the incoming player on a few occasions. Our forwards really need to work harder to get in front in contests.

1 disposal in the 2nd
3 disposals in the 3rd

tells me he hasn't.

He's going to be a frustrating player but his ability to keep the ball and use it under pressure stood out. A month ago I was counting down the days until we delisted him. There is a spark there and reckon he could be a game breaker even with his low possession count.

Well from my view of our games, and then contrasting it with other games I have watched recently, our number one problem is ball use:
1/ Choosing where to kick or handball
2/ Executing that kick or handball.

Now one can argue somewhat that gameplan could effect 1/ , and it may. ie say if there is an instruction to handball a lot.

But I personally think that it is not the gameplan so much, but is in the main just 1/ and 2/ being done poorly. Our players do this with short passes and handball, and not just the roost.

I say this as I often see that there is a player "on" to go to much of the time, but that we just do not give it well to that player, or players, enough.

We as a team are just not clean with the ball.

Last week against the Eagles, Ross late in the game delivered two pearlers of passes to Higgins. This is not as common for our team as I see from other teams.

Now this week by contrast Wilson twice late in the game gathered the ball superbly, use his pace and running ability to perfection to burst away, but then when he had a forward on each time his kick instead went to Mac Andrew.

Now yes we also do roost it times, but so does every team. The difference is that when we do have an option on, that we are poor at getting it well, to the right option.

This then denies us scoring chains, and then also creates scoring chains for our opposition. This is a lose/lose scenario.

PS: I am not having a go at Wilson as he has been a great pickup. The two examples just illustrate my point.

The way we play lends itself to a small forward set up with a couple of talls and a range of smaller scoring and pressuring options.

Tyson Stengle would be ideal for how we want to play but if we lose Battle we get the double hit. Weaken the only good line we have and mean we can't chase free agents or lose our compensation for Battle.

There are also a few good small forward options in the draft but our first couple of picks need to go on mids and the good smalls are mostly academy so need to go before 40 to get access.

I have a nagging memory of some time last year I think it was with the AFL coming out and saying they were rejigging the free agency compo to make it harder to get band one. Anyone else remember this? Combine that with the fact the salary cap is increasing a lot in the next few years, all of a sudden our $800 X 6 doesn't seem a whole lot, particularly when we've been publicly talking up our huge stash of cash.

Watch us sell out and burn an extremely dependable heart and soul player and get pick 28.

So McBurney understands why the umpire paid the free against Andrew because he saw Andrews arms around King .... but that doesn't constitute holding?

Seriously WTF??
He explained pretty clearly that it should be play on because they both did it.

It’s really not that complicated we got a lucky free kick, we can just accept that and move on instead of trying to be the only people who think it was fair.

As others have mentioned king also got sweet FA all night so call it a square up if it makes you feel better.

That last free kick was wrong.

From my seat behind the goals on level 2 I have watched the treatment King gets from defenders closely since his debut.
I can safely say for every holding free he gets paid there are countless others missed every single game.
I say we take this one as a gift and move on.
Doubt he gets another holding free paid for the rest of the season now

Either pay holding for literally touching the bloke or only pay it for a jumper grab
Might start seeing 10 goal games again.

Honestly I reckon just say no contact off the ball. Whoever initiates it gives away a free. Just because defenders have always niggled all game doesn’t mean it adds to the spectacle.

Honestly I reckon just say no contact off the ball. Whoever initiates it gives away a free. Just because defenders have always niggled all game doesn’t mean it adds to the spectacle.
Yup
Get rid of it.
We will get goal fests and both teams regularly scoring over 100

Surely it can't be worse than the dribble dished up now

Actually wouldn’t hate this in theory but I think the issue would be even with 4 umpires they still seem incapable of seeing the first contact.

Some real flat earther types in here than genuinely believe Ross is to blame for player execution. Actually you’re right Ross doesn’t want us kicking goals at all.
Ffs pull your head out of your arses, we’ve not been a good side offensively for 14 years. It’s got nothing to do with the coach, and everything to do with the talent we have on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way we play lends itself to a small forward set up with a couple of talls and a range of smaller scoring and pressuring options.

Tyson Stengle would be ideal for how we want to play but if we lose Battle we get the double hit. Weaken the only good line we have and mean we can't chase free agents or lose our compensation for Battle.

There are also a few good small forward options in the draft but our first couple of picks need to go on mids and the good smalls are mostly academy so need to go before 40 to get access.
Think we’ve got to trust our teams decision to draft Collard before looking at more small forwards. Give him time to develop. Buttler and Higgins arn’t going anywhere in the short term, and Henry can play that role as well.

Concentrate solely on drafting quality mids for the moment I reckon.

He's going to be a frustrating player but his ability to keep the ball and use it under pressure stood out. A month ago I was counting down the days until we delisted him. There is a spark there and reckon he could be a game breaker even with his low possession count.
Agree he was better on Saturday and did some nice stuff & delivered well. Problem is he isn’t explosive.

I know I’m comparing him (& the rest of our midfield) to the best of the best - but Gulden, Warner & Heeney types are what we need for the modern game. You can have one slow extractor who is good by hand but then you need to surround them with speed who can explode from stoppage - exactly what we haven’t got. Rozee, Butters, JHF.

Maybe Jones at his absolute best but he is shot & was always an ordinary user by foot. Jack Steven probably the last one we had who could do it?

Last edited:
So McBurney understands why the umpire paid the free against Andrew because he saw Andrews arms around King .... but that doesn't constitute holding?

Seriously WTF??
It’s exactly the same as when a player gets pinged for a retaliatory action. They know he was provoked but only pay against retaliating.
If King makes contact with Andrew and then Andrew throws his arms around and holds King it’s Kings free.
There really is a randomness to the way McBurney justifies decisions.

He explained pretty clearly that it should be play on because they both did it.

It’s really not that complicated we got a lucky free kick, we can just accept that and move on instead of trying to be the only people who think it was fair.

As others have mentioned king also got sweet FA all night so call it a square up if it makes you feel better.

That last free kick was wrong.
The argument doesn’t stack up though when they pay frees against a retaliating action when they know it was provoked.

The argument doesn’t stack up though when they pay frees against a retaliating action when they know it was provoked.
This isn’t a retaliation free kick though, it’s a holding free kick, max was also holding.

You’re welcome to die alone on this hill, you’d be hard pressed to find a nuetral who thinks it was the right decision and the afl has now said it was wrong.

This isn’t a retaliation free kick though, it’s a holding free kick, max was also holding.

You’re welcome to die alone on this hill, you’d be hard pressed to find a nuetral who thinks it was the right decision and the afl has now said it was wrong.
Not dying on a hill mate and not saying it’s retaliation just my observation of how it unfolds and comparisons in the game. The afl seems to roll with the last action not the lead up. Retaliation seems to be one the umpire get his knickers in a knot over.
I think around 60% of the umpires calls are vague and could go either way. So when they try and explain it really is just whatever they want to come up with. Same with this. If one umpire sees it one way and another sees something else then let’s just make up something that sounds believable.

whens he OOC?

Not dying on a hill mate and not saying it’s retaliation just my observation of how it unfolds and comparisons in the game. The afl seems to roll with the last action not the lead up. Retaliation seems to be one the umpire get his knickers in a knot over.
I think around 60% of the umpires calls are vague and could go either way. So when they try and explain it really is just whatever they want to come up with. Same with this. If one umpire sees it one way and another sees something else then let’s just make up something that sounds believable.
Perhaps, I mean the umpiring in our game was ****ing deplorable all round and as has been mentioned only this decision is discussed (for obvious reason).

It just seems odd to me that anyone is disputing the King one or the AFLs explanation. It was the wrong decision and the explanation in this instance makes sense.

If both players contact and hold each other then it should be play on.

We got a lucky one after king got nothing all game.

Let’s just take it.

Perhaps, I mean the umpiring in our game was ****ing deplorable all round and as has been mentioned only this decision is discussed (for obvious reason).

It just seems odd to me that anyone is disputing the King one or the AFLs explanation. It was the wrong decision and the explanation in this instance makes sense.

If both players contact and hold each other then it should be play on.

We got a lucky one after king got nothing all game.

Let’s just take it.
Agreed just not sure given how they’ve been performing they need to come out and make public statements like this. Seems reactionary.

Some real flat earther types in here than genuinely believe Ross is to blame for player execution. Actually you’re right Ross doesn’t want us kicking goals at all.
Ffs pull your head out of your arses, we’ve not been a good side offensively for 14 years. It’s got nothing to do with the coach, and everything to do with the talent we have on the park.
Talent plays a big part sure. But the coaching group have to take some responsibility.
Have a look at this around the 10m mark.

Watch us sell out and burn an extremely dependable heart and soul player and get pick 28.
Paradox

If he’s heart and soul he stays for unders and let’s the club improve elsewhere with the salary cap.

If he goes for the đź’° đź’° ?
That’s not heart and soul, that’s brain.

Autopsy Round 13, 2024: St.Kilda v Gold Coast: #GrabGate2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back