Autopsy Round 13, 2024: St.Kilda v Gold Coast: #GrabGate2024

Remove this Banner Ad

At this risk of being over optimistic I thought Hunter Clark turned the corner.

Looked fit, strong and composed. Standing up when tackled, strong in his upper body and hips, poised with time when had the ball.

Good to see. He might be finally maturing into his body. All he needs is some luck with injury.
Yeah he was fairly impressive. Both Hunts and Dow just need to get to 24+ touches, hopefully they build into it.

Narkle's helmet has been bashed around a bit I reckon.

Time to stick you in concussion protocols for a while until you get a grip with reality.

Yes, things aren't great at the moment.

Yes, seven goals isn't brilliant.

But we had 50-plus entries. Getting it inside 50 is not a problem. Converting entries is. And this is a different issue to your entire narrative.

So it pretty much makes most of your ramblings irrelevant.

Narkles needs a lie down, poor bloke really doesn’t like Rossy

Clear your Sunday schedules for next year, we’ll be living in Sunday twilight after that performance. Call me crazy but I’m not going to put much blame on the other coach who basically reinvented fast footy and won three flags playing it.

Still trying to figure out how we can be so dominant in contested possession and clearance yet still struggle to score. Screams of a scared gameplan. “Oh but the inside 50’s” yeah run to 80m out and bomb it inside 50, signs of a gameplan that’s awesome.

Clark and Dow = very welcome additions to the midfield.

Good to see Owens up around the ball more. Not massive numbers but enough impact when he was in there.

No goals from Caminiti but I still loved his game. Just competes whether the delivery is perfect or not, complete opposite to King.

Looked fit, strong and composed. Standing up when tackled, strong in his upper body and hips, poised with time when had the ball.

Good to see. He might be finally maturing into his body. All he needs is some luck with injury.

Still putting his head in danger. I thought he was lucky not to get another broken jaw. Played well though. He delivers the ball properly

1 disposal in the 2nd
3 disposals in the 3rd

tells me he hasn't.

Yeah he was fairly impressive. Both Hunts and Dow just need to get to 24+ touches, hopefully they build into it.

Dow was good as well. He could be a slow burn and be better than we think.

His disposal can be indifferent though. It seems to be an entrenched issue.

All of which I already covered.

Point was you had a potshot at me for “calling it out” when I didn’t, it was in discussion.
It was a comment. Far from a “pot shot”
Maybe you’re a little over sensitive on this.

Well I don't what video the AFL were watching but it seemed pretty clear to me that Andrew was holding King

Slightly obscured by the goalpost but Andrew had both arms wrapped around King in a hold and the umpire rightly pinged him

Saw the same tonight with Kelly on Curnow and Freenow was awarded the free

Still trying to figure out how we can be so dominant in contested possession and clearance yet still struggle to score. Screams of a scared gameplan. “Oh but the inside 50’s” yeah run to 80m out and bomb it inside 50, signs of a gameplan that’s awesome.

Well from my view of our games, and then contrasting it with other games I have watched recently, our number one problem is ball use:
1/ Choosing where to kick or handball
2/ Executing that kick or handball.

Now one can argue somewhat that gameplan could effect 1/ , and it may. ie say if there is an instruction to handball a lot.

But I personally think that it is not the gameplan so much, but is in the main just 1/ and 2/ being done poorly. Our players do this with short passes and handball, and not just the roost.

I say this as I often see that there is a player "on" to go to much of the time, but that we just do not give it well to that player, or players, enough.

We as a team are just not clean with the ball.

Last week against the Eagles, Ross late in the game delivered two pearlers of passes to Higgins. This is not as common for our team as I see from other teams.

Now this week by contrast Wilson twice late in the game gathered the ball superbly, use his pace and running ability to perfection to burst away, but then when he had a forward on each time his kick instead went to Mac Andrew.

Now yes we also do roost it times, but so does every team. The difference is that when we do have an option on, that we are poor at getting it well, to the right option.

This then denies us scoring chains, and then also creates scoring chains for our opposition. This is a lose/lose scenario.

PS: I am not having a go at Wilson as he has been a great pickup. The two examples just illustrate my point.

Wasn't a big game for contested possessions.
Leaders.
Marshall 13.
Steele 12
Rowell 11.
Higgins 10. ( Did someone say Higgins had a bad game)?
Clark 10.
Anderson 10.
Nasiah 9.
Flanders 9.
Dow 9.
Windhager 8
Owens 8
Moyle 8
Miller 8.

Higgins has been quite impressive all year since cats game in a fluttering forward line. Whoever said he’s regressed needs a reality check:

• club leading goal kicker at 18 (1.8 a game) which isn’t bad at all for a small forward.
  • highest average score involvements at the club at 6.1 per game (61 for the season).
  • leading the club for goal assists at 10 for the season (1 per game).
  • 2nd in the AFL for forward 50 ground ball gets, only Tyson Stengle has more and Higgins has the equal highest average at 3 a game.
  • 2nd at the club for tackles inside 50, 1.4 per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that the dust has settled, I’m far more philosophical, and to be honest, positive, about last night’s game.

Yes it was an absolutely shocking spectacle, and one we should have won by a far greater margin.

But if you look at what we did well, rather than what we did not, it becomes a much more impressive performance.

The Suns have a vaunted, generational midfield, between Miller, Anderson and Rowell. But we smacked them in clearances and contested possessions.

Ben King leads the Coleman, and our tallest defender did his hammy early. But our back six, lead by 44 and 26, smothered their forwards.

The Suns have been racking up massive scores this year, but against us they were totally strangled. They couldn’t move, couldn’t think, couldn’t execute.

Yes, I’d much prefer we were slamming through 20 goals a game and beating teams by 60+ points. But our side just isn’t in that position right now.

We should celebrate what we CAN do well, and work on what we can’t.

Again, despite it being a dour, slog of a game, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water. It’s a win against a potential top eight side who are stacked with talent.

That’s gotta be worth something.
I agree
Bring at the ground I felt we had the play majority of the game
If Suns win they steal it for sure
We shoulda won this by 5 goals
What is obvious about the game is - not the game plan ….its the players skill and decision making execution once opponents bring the heat
Q1 we looked good into forward 50 - lower the eyes had options
Q2-4 pressure came and we went back to the bomb
Have to raise talent profile to compete for longer
And strengthen midfield

So our top 5 players to kick inside 50 this season are Rowan Marshall, Bradley Hill, Jack Sinclair, Jack Steele and Darcy Wilson.

This is clearly a list of players who have don't have the footy smarts to make it. It can't be coached out of them and we should look at moving them on at year's end.
So Marshall notoriously dumps kicks into 50
Hill at the sniff of pressure is absolutely suspect by foot and turn over
Wilson is a kid whose prone to bombing under pressure - did last night too but that’s ok he’s young
Steele isn’t Nas that’s for sure …
So your 1 true gun in that is Sincs
Yeah ..can see why we have issues
Didn’t haven them 1st Q btw - players lowered eyes and we had multiple options forward 50 ..players still missed gettable goals but the ball was coming in well
Suns applied more pressure after that…out the window went lower eyes bombed away
They weren’t directed to do that by coaches ….

Well from my view of our games, and then contrasting it with other games I have watched recently, our number one problem is ball use:

Now one can argue somewhat that gameplan could effect 1/ , and it may. ie say if there is an instruction to handball a lot.

But I personally think that it is not the gameplan so much, but is in the main just 1/ and 2/ being done poorly. Our players do this with short passes and handball, and not just the roost.

I say this as I often see that there is a player "on" to go to much of the time, but that we just do not give it well to that player, or players, enough.

Last week against the Eagles, Ross late in the game delivered two pearlers of passes to Higgins. This is not as common for our team as I see from other teams.

Now this week by contrast Wilson twice late in the game gathered the ball superbly, use his pace and running ability to perfection to burst away, but then when he had a forward on each time his kick instead went to Mac Andrew.

Now yes we also do roost it times, but so does every team. The difference is that when we do have an option on, that we are poor at getting it well, to the right option.

This then denies us scoring chains, and then also creates scoring chains for our opposition. This is a lose/lose scenario.

PS: I am not having a go at Wilson as he has been a great pickup. The two examples just illustrate my point.
I think the difference between us bombing it in and other teams (As you're completely right, all teams will bomb high) is other teams do it more when they have limited options whereas we have a bad habit of doing it as our first option.

Montagna was talking about this a week or two ago that we work so much better when we find that target just outside 50 first and then lower our eyes. Even if short passes arent marked by our forward they are almost never intercepted so you have still have a chance through chaos ball or crumbs from the smalls.

Fixing this will go a very long way to making us kick more goals.

He isn’t under performing and killing this side. It’s very evident the development he has gotten out of: Marshall Wilkie Battle Owens Windy Nas Butler Higgins Wilson Henry (pre injury) wood caminiti from last nights side

Hill back to his better form. Etc.

I'll add to this that Ross Lyon has got some nous when in comes to game-day tactics.

Also for me personally as a spectator he's a lot of fun in the press conferences. Love it when he has a go at the journos - you get the feeling he's coaching them. Couldn't stand listening to a humourless sour-puss type like some of the other clubs have...

Thought we started the game well, which was a nice change. Still anxiety inducing trying to defend a 5 goal score, but hey at least we weren’t chasing tail.

The midfield performed admirably against a solid Gold Coast unit. Rowell, Anderson, Miller is an impressive core. The GC certainly missed Witts. And I thought Marshall ran Moyle ragged early on.

Clark and Dow settling in nicely and should continue to build an understanding if they get to play more games together. Windhager was tireless, and I was especially impressed with Clark’s run and his ability to find a target if he could break a tackle.

We played more like a front half pressure team, which I am sure the Boss will be happier about. Higgins had a great game and Butler improved his contribution this week as a run on. Still plenty of scope for improvement with the forwards, but if we can keep them all on the park hopefully they start to gel.

The backline reshuffled beautifully after Doogs pinged his hammy. They restructured so as to make sure Battle could continue to float as much as possible. Marshall was very impressive in this space I thought.

The backline continues to work really hard to use their outnumber to provide run and overlap on the rebound. It felt like Naz was getting higher up the ground and getting a few looks going inside 50 which is good.

And Sinclair also looks like he’s hitting a nice vein of form. Get him in all you super coaches.

No sign that Mings knee was hampering him which is probably the best news.

Ladder watchers will be beaming and draft watchers will be reaming, but if we can string a few wins together maybe we can start to feel like a destination club, again.

I think Battle will be enjoying his role at the moment. Get the years and dollars ratio right and I think we keep him.

I think the new tackle rules might improve our fortunes in the middle.

Bring on the Lions!

Skill execution is definitely a problem.. Marshall had 7 clearances, but how many of those are hack kicks? I’ll say most of these.. He really needs to learn to handball more, it’s not like he is a great kick either.. It maybe we don’t rate our clearance skills, so any clearance will do, but really a high quality clearance where the ball gets to an outside player streaming forward beats 5 scrubby kick forward.. Dow and Clark do this well.. others not so much..

We need to find more consistent ways of playing football, instead of relying on luck e.g. Marshall’s hack kick lands gets marked by his own player or our manic pressure forces a turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2024: St.Kilda v Gold Coast: #GrabGate2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back