Autopsy Round 13... cats 16.4 def Dogs 5.13

Remove this Banner Ad

How many best 22 were geelong missing out of curiosity. It's absolutely no excuse, I just want to know.

For us I count:

Jj, wood, Stevens, Murphy, crameri, Dahl

For Christ sake, can we stop counting Crameri and Murphy as outs in 2016?

Sadly, they are not returning this season and in that sense are irrelevant discussing the rest of the season.

I hear what you're saying, but slightly older Cats fans can relate only too well - we climbed that same mountain 4 times between '89-'95 only to get shot down in flames. Heartbreaking. I personally never thought I'd see a Cats premiership in my lifetime.
The Bulldogs are in it up to their necks this year; you'll get a few back from injury and be right amongst in come September - grab your chances and the drought could be all over.

We are miles off don't patronise us

Your footy team has @&$&& us for 20 years so I actually hope you don't win a flag in the next ten years coz you've continually knocked us out so don't expect any well wishes returned your way mate

Enjoy your win and continue to make footy boring as Sh!t coz the same teams win year after year

Our whole team sucked this week dude. I'm reading **** all into that performance.
Dickson was poor even in a bad bunch.

Blokes like Libba, Bontempelli, Morris, Stringer didn't play to the level that they have at times this year, but at the same time they weren't among the worst 5-10 players in the team and weren't part of the structural failings of the team.

Dickson, Redpath, Dunkley, Honeychurch and Biggs were all poor today, among our worst 5-10 players and part of the reason why the structures fell apart.

One can hope that game is a culmination of having one eye to the bye and on the back of three weeks where we won after being behind at 3QT in two of them and winning by 8 points in the other.

I bloody hope that's the case because I don't want to think that a 57 point loss is a representation of where we're at.

We are miles off don't patronise us

Your footy team has @&$&& us for 20 years so I actually hope you don't win a flag in the next ten years coz you've continually knocked us out so don't expect any well wishes returned your way mate

Enjoy your win and continue to make footy boring as Sh!t coz the same teams win year after year

Brisbane is miles off - your mob will make the finals; hit their best form in September and anything is possible.
Personally I don't think we'll win the flag, definitely hoping to win a final though which would be an improvement on the past 4 years.

In all honesty, and although I couldn't catch the game (was probably a good thing), this loss really highlights our over-expectation of this Dogs outfit. I'm getting the vibe that it was an insipid performance, albeit with a few stepping up, but injuries do play a big part in a team's season, especially when it's at the level which our have been. We simply have been overrating the capabilities of this (fit) list, thinking that we are the best young team ever in the modern era, because that is the level of expectations some of our fans have, and I'll nominate myself for that too. And, to be honest, a few crappy performances within a 9-4 season is understandable for a team whose most influential (fit) player is 20! I think we should start to reevaluate the pass mark for this season given what has happened so far, especially considering our injury-riddled list. IMO, making the top 4 is a huge, huge effort, and that should be the ultimate goal. Thinking that we can win the flag is delusional, but so is the mindset that we're playing so poorly that we'll struggle to make the eight. Just my 2 cents from prowling this autopsy.
The truth is that had our team played under the rules last year, the best player would have been the substitute. Poor effort, but we have a very young side, lots of injuries and Geelong are good.

Equalisation is a crock. Strong get stronger and Hawks, Cats, Swans challenge every year. Rinse, repeat.

Agree. Clubs like the Hawks, Cats and Swans definitely get stronger through continually being in the top few teams. They are stronger again this year. They get more people on their membership roll, more sponsorship monies, more and better training and playing facilities and equipment, more and better coaches and medical and training staff of all types. They remain more attractive as a go-to club and get better publicity, venues and broadcast time. They get more clout. They can provide better for their players post retirement. They get more of their ex-players as commentators and coaches. Not nearly enough is done for equalisation.

Dickson was poor even in a bad bunch.

Blokes like Libba, Bontempelli, Morris, Stringer didn't play to the level that they have at times this year, but at the same time they weren't among the worst 5-10 players in the team and weren't part of the structural failings of the team.

Dickson, Redpath, Dunkley, Honeychurch and Biggs were all poor today, among our worst 5-10 players and part of the reason why the structures fell apart.
Yeah nah. Those blokes are not our stars. They are our footsoldiers. And they were completely thrown under the bus by the first group. It was those guys who failed to lay a tackle, it was those guys who didn't work hard and it was those guys who set the tone for the low intensity suckfest that we witnessed.
When your whole team is down you can't expect your perceived worst 5-10 players not to be your actual worst 5-10 players.

Deep breath, folks.

We've been smacked from pillar to post by injury and we're going into the bye 9-4 with a genuine shot at a double chance. It's disappointing to lose to Geelong again, but in the big picture there's absolutely nothing to be concerned about - they lost to Carlton and Collingwood (!!!) in consecutive weeks and they're on top. A 57 point loss is so far off being an indicator of where we are at, it's not funny.

We've fallen on harder times than this. We've got a week's rest, soon after which we'll have Dahlhaus, Wood, McLean, Boyd, Stevens and JJ back. We're still right in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible game. Anyone blaming individuals for that performance or trying to use it as an example against certain players or coaches is a moron who doesn't deserve the bandwidth that their opinion is posted on.

We fell apart as a team and need to wear it as a team. Regroup, recharge, get a few back and smash into the Swans.

I like your posting usually mike, but labelling anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion as morons etc doesn't do you any credit. I get what you're saying, but that is a very poor way to express it.

I like your posting usually mike, but labelling anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion as morons etc doesn't do you any credit. I get what you're saying, but that is a very poor way to express it.
Glad you like my usual posting, but I calls them as I see them. I'm just as worked up as anyone and I'm sick to my stomach of people thinking they're entitled to pot a quality young team and the coaching staff that got them to that level over the one game we've shat the bed on this year. This shit isn't constuctive it's destructive. On second thought I held back on the moron call.

Bont had a shocker tonight, yet other blokes are being flayed alive.
Was just a terrible night at the office. We can piss and moan about individuals, but the majority of guys who played tonight will be out there against Sydney. Negativity literally achieves nothing at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Williams was fantastic- probably our classiest player tonight. The kid is a jet. Suckling was pretty good offensively. Macrae had another strong game. Roughead's contested marking was good early.

Jong was one of our better players. Under immense pressure, he fumbled far less than the vast majority of our mids. His disposal was clean, and he didn't break down our handball chains. 20 disposals at 85% efficiency, 0 clangers, 7 marks, 2 contested marks, 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 6 tackles and a goal.

Otherwise, pretty disappointing performance. Hope the team can bounce back against Sydney.
good assessment of the game. thought jong in the top six players today. also like little diego, but overall it was a very flat performance. the break will be good for us. many players are coming back and we will stronger. keep the faith. i feel the board has been a total meltdown. a bit of an overreaction. i hate geelong, but they are a good side probably the best on form atm.

Really expected Honeychurch to come out firing this week to give him every chance to cement his spot in the side.

But he just had no vigour tonight along with the rest of the team, however when you're on the fringe and it took you half a season to get into the team, you'd expect a little more desperation than what he showed tonight.

The thing that was most disappointing for me was that for a team that was much shorter, we weren't smarter.

Without JJ and co in the team, we lack a bit of pace. For example Geelong at times play 5 or 6 blokes over 190cm tall in their defence, but we can't exploit it whatsoever. I can't fault him because he played a good game, but like Jong seemed unwilling to use his pace at times as well.

Makes me wonder as soon as we had a few injuries, whether we're better off just matching teams for height rather than playing the same way but with worse players who can't exploit the fact that they're shorter but therefore theoretically more skilled and faster. Given that blokes like Dickson and Honeychurch were ineffective against taller defenders, we may as well just played Boyd and gone taller in defence.

This was most evident in one of the goals in the first quarter. They went backwards and switched and Henderson was streaming through the middle of the ground, being chased by Honeyhcurch - and Honeychurch couldn't keep up. When a 176cm bloke is being outsprinted by a bloke 20cm taller and better in the air, what's the point of, structurally, picking that 176cm bloke in the first place? Like I'm not picking on Honeychurch specifically here saying he shouldn't play cause he did play a good game last week, but I'm saying tactically we should have attempted to find a way to exploit the fact that they have a tall defence better.

North did the same thing to us. Other teams have found a way to beat us - stick a third tall as a loose man behind the ball and use him as an overlap run. We possess the ball and go backwards and sideways more than any other team in the league, and a strength of that is that you can deliver the ball in quality ways or you can starve the other team of opportunities. Geelong and North in both our games have been the smartest teams in defending that and structure well with loose men behind the ball to minimise the impact of our nature of over-possessing the ball and being indirect with our avenues to goal.

The sort of good thing in a way is that with games against North and Geelong to come again in this season we get to see how Bev adjusts. Part of it is some very much direct-to-goal players in Johannisen, Stevens and Wood would come back into the team but I'm interested to see if Bev can find a way to adjust in the second half of the year to make us a more direct-to-goal, use-less-possession-to-get-the-ball-forward type team. We certainly need to be able to do that if we want to beat Geelong and North later in the year and in finals.

Last edited:
Yeah nah. Those blokes are not our stars. They are our footsoldiers. And they were completely thrown under the bus by the first group. It was those guys who failed to lay a tackle, it was those guys who didn't work hard and it was those guys who set the tone for the low intensity suckfest that we witnessed.
When your whole team is down you can't expect your perceived worst 5-10 players not to be your actual worst 5-10 players.
Agree, we had no intensity apart from 10 minutes of the third quarter, when they looked really worried and made lots of mistakes. Should had seen it coming though as 1. Last weeks game was 4 quarters of the way we should played today ( look how Port backed up) 2. They had their entire first 22 available, we had 6 of our most experienced players watching 3. They have a team full of 25 yo +'mature bodies and a very good defence, we had 3 first year players. 4. Young teams always throw in a bad one every now and then, happened last year against Melbourne and the Saints.

Agree, we had no intensity apart from 10 minutes of the third quarter, when they looked really worried and made lots of mistakes. Should had seen it coming though as 1. Last weeks game was 4 quarters of the way we should played today ( look how Port backed up) 2. They had their entire first 22 available, we had 6 of our most experienced players watching 3. They have a team full of 25 yo +'mature bodies and a very good defence, we had 3 first year players. 4. Young teams always throw in a bad one every now and then, happened last year against Melbourne and the Saints.
Agree. Guarantee we don't play that badly against the Swans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13... cats 16.4 def Dogs 5.13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back