Round 13: St Kilda vs Geelong, Saturday Night @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to put some more perspective on this game, their 2 best players were out aswell and they still beat us by 5 goals.
We had a real opportunity to beat geelong, and if it wasnt for a few players butchering the ball with turn overs, playing crap pulling the team down and giving away a few dumb free kicks, we might have won. I guess thats the most disapointing thing about it.

Very frustrating game.
At 3Q time I couldn't help but think we should have been winning and could have run away with it in the last quarter.

I have a theory about the whiteboard incident with ross.
He spoke in the post match interview about how some players have the ability to "pick themselves" like McEvoy who just keeps improving.

So I get the feeling Lyon chucked on the whiteboard the few players who gave their all (Jones, Peake, Macca, Armo) plus the few players that can actually kick it (Goddard, Gwilt) and said to them "For the rest of you, F*** discuss between yourselves who deserves to be playing after the bye.

Another huge problem with us is our structure. Not just our forward structure, the ENTIRE structure. I can only name a handfull of players that would know what their role is going to be week in week out, the rest of them are rotated through defence/mid/fwd/ruck... it's verging on ridiculous. It's as if we have a team of utilities and no key position players. If the players are going to gain confidence individually and as a group, they need to be sure of their role in the team, we need some consistency.

What do you guys think the changes will be after the bye? Not including injuries over the next two weeks obviously.

I get the feeling ross is fed up and there will be a few changes.

OUT: schneider, Dal Santo, Gram
IN: Johnson/Siposs, Ledger, Blake

Schneider, though I love him, makes some awful decisions and has hit some pretty ordinary form. Johnson or siposs shouls come in to fill the forward line void.

Gram, one of the many who simply can not kick the ball - it's clear ross has had enough and i can't imagine gram getting another game after the bye. Blake in for him.

Dal Santo, this would be very rough but i can see it happening. He is meant to be a leader for us in the area of foot skills and was our WORST last night. Showed a bit of fight, got some clearances, but did nothing positive with the ball when some good spot up kicks could have gone a long way towards winning us that game. He needs to have a close look at players like Sam Mitchell who are very composed under pressure (like dal) but then also manage to pinpoint leading forwards, not just blast it 10 metres over their heads. Ledger gets his chance.

I doubt Nicky Dal will go, simply because he has been in OK form this year and is a leader of a somewhat depleted midfield, so I feel we could need him. My changes would be a little closer to...

OUT: Schneider, Gram, Dawson, Clarke
IN: Smith/Winmar/Ledger, Lynch, Walsh, Johnson

Move Rooey up the field, play Kosi/Johnson/Gamble as our main inside 50 targets.

Oh, and if Montagna is not fit, don't play him. What's the point of playing him and subbing him off in the third...

I doubt Nicky Dal will go, simply because he has been in OK form this year and is a leader of a somewhat depleted midfield, so I feel we could need him. My changes would be a little closer to...

Move Rooey up the field, play Kosi/Johnson/Gamble as our main inside 50 targets.

Oh, and if Montagna is not fit, don't play him. What's the point of playing him and subbing him off in the third...

Don't forget mighty Gardiner :thumbsu:

I'd give Gardi a few in the VFL, just for fitness, and then he comes in. Who he comes in for is the major question though. If Kosi plays like he did last night, he stays, and we probably can't carry Kosi, Macca and Gardi, so we've certainly got a dilemma to work through in the next few weeks...

I reckon we might bring in Gardiner for what looks like a crucial game against West Coast, and because of their size MAYBE we could keep all three and base selection for the next game on their performance? We obviously can't drop macca, kosi would be the one to go, unless of course we do see roo go to CHB and we could have kosi at CHF, Gardiner at FF and Macca in the ruck

Kozi was exellent last night and holds his spot so i think out; clarke(theres no point of him playing as the sub), Gram( lost the ability to kick) and schneider who has hit the wall. in comes lynch/simpkin, ledger and sippos.

I reckon we might bring in Gardiner for what looks like a crucial game against West Coast, and because of their size MAYBE we could keep all three and base selection for the next game on their performance? We obviously can't drop macca, kosi would be the one to go, unless of course we do see roo go to CHB and we could have kosi at CHF, Gardiner at FF and Macca in the ruck

I'd go Gardiner in the ruck, he has a history of good form against Cox, and is not good at being a full forward.
It would be interesting to try McEvoy2011 in a foward role though.

EVERY SINGLE GAME WE LOSE this happens though. Ive tried to contribute to these threads but its hard when you have a 10:1 ratio of comments regarding umpires being "out to get us" as opposed to comments regarding the REAL reasons we lost. Can't we have a discussion about our forward structure, why we were butchering the ball so much, what went so wrong in the second quarter etc. etc. without seeming like sore losers?

I agree with you mate. Whinging about the umpiring is embarrassing, it's the least of our problems.

[YOUTUBE]c_7UcF3sN6w[/YOUTUBE]

Dawson was great what else does he need to do Pods anly kicked 2 and 1 from a free.

Johnson here we go he's a DUD can not play AFL to save him self.

Lynch ,Walsh same olsd same old not up to it.

The Montagna statement i agree with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawson was great what else does he need to do Pods anly kicked 2 and 1 from a free.

Johnson here we go he's a DUD can not play AFL to save him self.

Lynch ,Walsh same olsd same old not up to it.

The Montagna statement i agree with.

You're kidding right?

Johnson has just played half a match of AFL, and half the time he was on he was concusted. He has been playing pretty well in the VFL, kicking goals and providing a contest when the ball spills to the ground.

Again Walsh, he's played what 1, maybe 2 AFL matches? Been playing well in the VLF, needs more opportunities in the AFL to really show his wares.

Given the chance (and chance I mean play 5-6 games in a row, in their favoured position, not the 1/2-1 game out of position goes they are given now) and I really think they would show something.

Geelong's depth is 1000% better than ours.

What a joke of a game. They beat us with all their old guys.
Our depth is reasonable but is being given every chance to excel - there will be more debutantes over the next few weeks.
Don't know about the old guys doing it all , they were good but Menzel, Vardy, Duncan and THunt were OK as well !!

I get the feeling ross is fed up and there will be a few changes.

OUT: schneider, Dal Santo, Gram
IN: Johnson/Siposs, Ledger, Blake

.....Dal Santo, this would be very rough but i can see it happening. He is meant to be a leader for us in the area of foot skills and was our WORST last night. Showed a bit of fight, got some clearances, but did nothing positive with the ball when some good spot up kicks could have gone a long way towards winning us that game. He needs to have a close look at players like Sam Mitchell who are very composed under pressure (like dal) but then also manage to pinpoint leading forwards, not just blast it 10 metres over their heads. Ledger gets his chance.

Can't believe I'm reading this - tip out Dal Santo :eek: - so you're looking at the 56% disposal eff. What about 32 poss (match high) 15 cont, 11 clearances (match high) 8 tackles, 25 'pressure acts', and 7 score involv.

I thought he was clearly in their top 5
After Fisher he would probably be leading the B&F

Can't believe I'm reading this - tip out Dal Santo :eek: - so you're looking at the 56% disposal eff. What about 32 poss (match high) 15 cont, 11 clearances (match high) 8 tackles, 25 'pressure acts', and 7 score involv.

I thought he was clearly in their top 5
After Fisher he would probably be leading the B&F

Yeah I know, I know... he has been great, and still had a decent game.
The reason I posted this was a) I was pissed off about the match, and b) I was confused about ross lyons actions after the match and thought he might be ready to shake things up big time.

But now that i've cooled off a bit I realise this shouldn't and won't happen, because if we win the next 3 (kangas, port, WCE) we are right back in the hunt.

I guess we just need to remember that 11 and a half wins will probably take us to the 8. But it looks like it's going to be a VERY tight finish with Freo, Essendon, Melbourne, Richmond, Kangas all looking to be around the mark. If we are to make the 8, realistically only 1 of the above teams can make it with us.

I just watched the game on the hard drive.
Didnt have a particular problem with Dal Santo.
A lot of players tried to do things that didnt quite work.

While a lot of people cant seem to find anything good in Baker's work, but I noticed several time he was passed the ball when he was really under pressure. If he'd coughed it up we'd have blamed the player passing it to him, but nearly every time he got it he got it out cleanly. ( The one time he had no chance of holding it he laid a tackle on the opponent who got it off him ).

Yeah I know, I know... he has been great, and still had a decent game.
The reason I posted this was a) I was pissed off about the match, and b) I was confused about ross lyons actions after the match and thought he might be ready to shake things up big time.

But now that i've cooled off a bit I realise this shouldn't and won't happen, because if we win the next 3 (kangas, port, WCE) we are right back in the hunt.

I guess we just need to remember that 11 and a half wins will probably take us to the 8. But it looks like it's going to be a VERY tight finish with Freo, Essendon, Melbourne, Richmond, Kangas all looking to be around the mark. If we are to make the 8, realistically only 1 of the above teams can make it with us.

Yes I'm sure you didn't really think Dal Santo will be tipped out next week...:cool:

Certainly going to be a traffic jam at the bottom end of the 8 - don't forget WB as well, they have GC next week, and might make up a win on Ess who have the bigtime Hawker, and Rich/Melb play each other.

Oh I've been meaning to say - I know the crowd was a bit disappointing last night in terms of numbers, but sitting at home watching (interstate) I was seriously impressed with the St Kilda supporters presence! A couple of times there were the most amazing loud chants going on all around the ground - from what I could tell from the tele anyway! So great work to those of you who went out there!

What kids should of played

So you agree that none of our kids taken in the drafts between 2008 and 2010 deserve a chance?

Lynch and Walsh are pretty much demanding selection at the moment.

Ledger had done everything right in his 2 quarters of football. Can you honestly say you were happy with Raph being the sub, especially for Montagna when we had Ledger the last 2 weeks?

Lynch and Ledger at least.

Could try and justify others who probably aren't quite demanding a game.

But it would have been nice to take some positives out of the game about youngsters, than lose with the oldest team we've put on the field this year, (and seemingly least skilled team as well).

Taking nothing away from Macca, Jack and Armo. But they're really not youngsters anymore.

So you agree that none of our kids taken in the drafts between 2008 and 2010 deserve a chance?

Lynch and Walsh are pretty much demanding selection at the moment.

Ledger had done everything right in his 2 quarters of football. Can you honestly say you were happy with Raph being the sub, especially for Montagna when we had Ledger the last 2 weeks?

Lynch and Ledger at least.

Could try and justify others who probably aren't quite demanding a game.

+1 to above.

Montagna should not have played. Ledger has been playing well (as a sub mind you) and deserved a full game to show his wares.

Gilbert is out of form. Give Lynch a go. He's been playing well in the VFL, and can do the same job as Gilbert. Or add Walsh to the team (he can play both forward, back and in the ruck), let Gwilt off the leash and let him perform the Gilbert role.

Gram is also out of form. Maybe play Johnson for him? Long, powerful kick, who can kick goals, and can play both up the ground, and in the forward 50.

If Ross interview on Triple M on Sunday is anything to go by, we will be seeing the kids very soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 13: St Kilda vs Geelong, Saturday Night @ the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back