Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

The ball-butchers of Baghdad from 2014-2019 made an unwelcome return tonight.

We either bombed it long to May’s advantage (and don’t blame King, the bombs were both predictable and awfully directed, Membrey got killed by him too when he was on him for a few minutes) or shanked kicks. Basically refused to have composure and lower the eyes.

You can’t win games of footy with forward entries like we had today so we got what we deserved.

Which is fine. Just don't play him in the seniors when we have finals to play for. He isn't up to it. Lost count the amount of times he easily gets pushed out of a contest. Was poor against Brisbane and backed it up with an equally shocking performance tonight. Get him out of the side.
Problem is the other options we have are worse. Membrey has been utter junk this season.

I agree king was poor tonight. I just cant believe we persisted kicking straight to him.

It was seriously so consistent you could pick every play fwd.

Had the better of that game for so long and still lost.

Even worse than the Brisbane loss.

Just butchered so many opportunities, Membrey and King dropping marks and missing shots at goal proved costly.

Our small forwards were nowhere to be seen when it counted.

Our midfield with Steele, Jones, Sinclair, Ross, Hill were all pretty good along with our defence but our forward line killed us.

Needed Billings in the forward line, maybe he was up there but we couldn't hit him and instead bombed it in long.

Our forward entries were as bad as our forwards.

Ropeable.

Finals now slipping out of reach.

Really hard to take for a second week on the trot.

Hard to see us bouncing back from here.
I can see us finishing 9th now. Too many of those winnable games that we have let slip. North Melbourne, Fremantle, Brisbane and now Melbourne all games we should have won but didn't.

People were over the moon with billing last week. He had what was it 3-5 disposals at 3 qtr time.

His 4th qtr he accumulated and had a decent goal but it wasn't that great.

He's fools good and tbh I see him the same way i see Bruce now.
Billings did nothing for 3 quarters in the Brisbane game, like a few of his mates- and we lost..similar story tonight. Slightly over-rated player.

This. The entire game plan problem has been bubbling away for a while now.

We do not implement a B or C. Its this high octane play on kick long to king. If it hits the deck then butler will mop up, game plan.

There is no thought to even implementing different things. We dont try to maintain the ball. We dont try to contest the hell out of it and slow it down.

Its literally go out there and have a crack with ya natural skill

So I'm not surprised we start panicking and bombing it long.
Yep and lost one of the pieces when Gresham went out . Butler was playing above himself making the plan look like a winning one . As you said no plan b - I said that 4 weeks ago

A smarter side wins that. Melbourne weren't good. We just weren't composed enough to take advantage

3 standing around watching Petracca kick the winner. One floats back to the empty space protects the goal square and it's a non issue. Something I had preached to me in u14s

The inside 50s to no-one

The terrible goal kicking from Membrey aside from the last

Constantly kicking to May on a young opponent and just dominating and refusing to change things

Every time we have a chance to stamp ourselves as a side that's truly taken steps forward we disappoint. This was massive tonight and it's wound up being a massive disappointment
Ditto

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well it’s all you’ve bitched about
We were hopeless as a collective but that's a given, given we lost to a team we should've beat. Why explain the obvious?

King was shit, has been for weeks. Defending him because he is young? How about if he's not up to AFL standard he plays in the scratch matches instead. He is doing us no favours.

Not going to talk about Hill - that is a whole other thing going on.

I'm going to point the finger at Billings and Clark. These guys are supposed to be our young up and coming leaders. We are in real strife. When you compare the level that these two are at with the other top players in their age group, they are way off the pace. Billings and Clark are in 8 - 16 group at any other top 8 club. At Saints they are in our top 5 and this again highlights our problem. Our lack of top end talent is glaring - only Steele and Marshall would be considered top end and you really need 5 or 6 at that level.

Billings is in his 7th year. If Bombers want him I would have a good hard look at what they are willing to put down.

Our other issue is Hind/Kent/Parker/Lonie. Every week we have a different view of who should be in and who should n't be. Fact is they are all pretty shite. Our bottom 6 - throw in Geary, Savage, Dunstan and Phillips - are all pretty shite. So there are 8 senior players on the list that probably would not get a game at another top 8 club.

Finish with Geary - brave, our loyal captain a great servant of the club. Thank you very much. The cold hard truth is that our team was playing beautifully before Gears returned from injury. Our back 6 was motoring, looking as good as any in the AFL. I think the "need" to find Geary a spot has helped de-stabilise that.

North - Freo - Melbourne young team is no excuse
Geary Billings Membrey to be moved on

Teams with our demographic will always be inconsistent. Just a fact of life

That loss was inexcusable. Just a disgraceful performance all round. We play dumb football and make too many stupid errors to be taken seriously as a club.

I am embarrassed right now. We have chocked finals again. Just another year where we continue being a pathetic loser club.

The most disappointing part was I actually believed we had moved past that and grew a backbone as a side. Jokes on me I guess.
Jokes on all of us

King should have been rested this week after 3 poor weeks. Tonight he got mauled by May with 3 possessions to 22. Ratten should have seen this at 1/4 time ie man v boy. i hope this game has not destroyed King mentally. They looked after him last year but have worn him out this year. Poor coaching by Ratten I M O

The game was lost in the first half when Membrey (twice) and Marshall both missed sitters, meanwhile Petracca and Brown kicked absolute bombs on tight angles.

Just on the goal review as well, it was probably a goal. But what is the point of having the score review if you don't have all the available angles to make the best decision. Side on vision would actually be the first thing you would think they would have. Just amateurish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2020: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back