Preview Round 15, 2023: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Marvel Stadium, Friday 23rd June, 7:50PM AEST *SPUD'S GAME* *CROUCH 150TH* *MARSHALL 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Lions

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were real about finals we don’t lose last night
I think you are underestimating Richmond there. They are one of the in form sides in the comp currently which is why they went in favourites.

Disappointing loss but it’s a very even comp with no easy wins. Ideally we can win a couple we aren’t favourites in on the way home to make life a little easier.

Seeing headlines like this, no matter who made them, I’m bloody sure I wouldn’t want to be out on the track this week.

View attachment 1716298
Yeah I dunno if Ross was outcoached this week, even with a C grade midfield getting belted by an A grade midfield, we still had enough chances to win the game in last quarter but couldn't convert. Some under 9's errors in the D50 gave them a handful of goals and the coaches rectified that by benching Dougal.
Geez we could do with some fresh legs from the 2's but there isn't really anyone banging the door down.
Would be nice to see Bytel crank out an elite game.

That said, we don't seem to be able to stop kicking to their intercept defender most weeks, it's pretty dumb footy watching us cough up so many inside 50's.

Last edited:

That said, we don't seem to be able to stop kicking to their intercept defender most weeks, it's pretty dumb footy watching us cough up so many inside 50's.

That's modern footy though. Most fans whinge about it. Guys like Tom Stewart, Stephen May, Lever, Darcy Moore, Sicily etc all pick off kicks inside 50 time after time. The ball gets directed into a hole that isn't really a hole and there are limited free options. You either get it out the back to a contest that often just goes through for a behind and rebounds or send it to a contest around 40 meters out from goal where the interceptor is waiting and a bunch of others. Otherwise out very wide where the chances of scoring a goal are low.

Zones have made life for forwards much harder. Sides are beating us with long range kicks and snaps on tight angles where we've allowed them space. We let sides have plenty of shots but we rarely let you get easy one.. Against Richmond we turned over a few really dumb kicks under pressure that cost us goals.

Last edited:
I know it's easier said than done but surely you try something different if what you're currently doing isn't working?

Carlton have Curnow leading the coleman next to another coleman medalist yet they are still down the bottom for goals scored.

If Lyon is the tactical genius we're sold, then we should be able manufacture better entries than "kick it long to King" X 50 per game.

I know it's easier said than done but surely you try something different if what you're currently doing isn't working?

Carlton have Curnow leading the coleman next to another coleman medalist yet they are still down the bottom for goals scored.

If Lyon is the tactical genius we're sold, then we should be able manufacture better entries than "kick it long to King" X 50 per game.

A big part of that was them both getting the yips. They got their confidence back up and kicked a score that we would have been happy with for a game in a quarter.

Early in the year we played to cover the loss of King and our ball movement and spread of scorers was much better. Wet weather slowed King down this week and we struggled to adapt to another method. Again back to a pretty average performance from the mids again I think. Butler was the only forward that looked up for a fight too.

I think you are underestimating Richmond there. They are one of the in form sides in the comp currently which is why they went in favourites.

Disappointing loss but it’s a very even comp with no easy wins. Ideally we can win a couple we aren’t favourites in on the way home to make life a little easier.

There is no doubt Richmond came to play and they were up for Cotchin's 300th. We mostly had a dip but I dont think the coaching group gave the team the best chance to win. Our midfield have been really poor for 2 months yet they keep going back to the same players? Richmond won the game with the second half of the first quarter and their 2nd quarter. Everyone watching the game knew there was heavy rain coming and our coaches didnt prepare the group for it. Then when we did get things sorted in the 3rd it was impossible to run down a 4 goals lead.

Then the coaches erred again in allowing Richmond a spare player in their defence, until half way through the last quarter. That was brought about by how dominant their midfield were earlier in the game, but when the rain hit it should have changed back to give our forwards a fighting chance. We had plenty of F50 entires in that time all intercepted by the extra numbers.

So for me it was our coaching group not making positional changes, and not preparing the side for the rain that lost us the game.

It's interesting to look at where the Pies were this time last year. 8-5 with a percentage of 105. Incredible to think they were actually in a slightly worse position than we are, and to look at them now twelve months later.
The plan should be to win most of the matches for the rest of the year like they did. Pretty much just refuse to lose.

Also complaints about the list will disappear IF we make finals! If we’re in the finals we can put the rose coloured goggles back on and praise every little bit about our senior veterans and promising young blokes and underrated depth gems. All we need to do is make finals and the narrative can change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also complaints about the list will disappear IF we make finals! If we’re in the finals we can put the rose coloured goggles back on and praise every little bit about our senior veterans and promising young blokes and underrated depth gems. All we need to do is make finals and the narrative can change.
Slipping into 8th spot doesn't mean our list issues are solved, we did that three years ago for very little long term gain.

Seriously it changes the players mindset and pushes the bar higher as well.

Slipping into 8th spot doesn't mean our list issues are solved, we did that three years ago for very little long term gain.
But on the forum. In the media, in supporters minds it will be. Think about all the hype we had in 2021, how good it felt. We had a narrative for every player being underrated. I think you’ve forgotten what playing a FINAL does to this board and our fans. It’s like drugs. No more doom and gloom cause who here is rich enough to be complaining when we’re playing a FINAL

Seriously it changes the players mindset and pushes the bar higher as well.
Think about if Philippou Owens Nas and Windy are playing a final maybe we win one. They’re development is off the charts AND imagine all the articles about our star draftees. Those 4 would be talked about non stop. We change the narrative in the media and brainwash the players into thinking they’re good.

Pretty excited about this one and weirdly confident. There'll be melts on selection day because with Joe, Hipwood & Fort up front then Doogs is getting picked.

If we thought Saturday night was a big stage then this is that x10. Marquee game, primetime, with a chance to move into the top four.

If anything this is going to be a really good indication of where the club is at. How quickly can we turn things around. How far have the players come regarding playing well on a big stage.

As shitty as I was on saturday night this is the reality. Richmond are a good team who has played poorly for the first quarter of the year. They are in form at the moment, playing on their home deck and in conditions they are much more suited to playing in then us due to the roof at marvel.
For all this garbage about "being outcoached" Lyon sure managed to turn it around at half time in regards to how we were playing the game.

Like most close games, had Higgins kicked that final one we were probably right in it to win and if Short hadden kicked two of the lowest percentage goals possible we are in the same position.

Can definitely take Brisbane on at Marvel where we can actually play to our gameplan.
Dougal will stay in, for all the bitching on here his "mistakes" were not adapting to the wet weather football properly and his height no longer being an advantage in defense. Needed for Daniher and Hipwood.

As shitty as I was on saturday night this is the reality. Richmond are a good team who has played poorly for the first quarter of the year. They are in form at the moment, playing on their home deck and in conditions they are much more suited to playing in then us due to the roof at marvel.
For all this garbage about "being outcoached" Lyon sure managed to turn it around at half time in regards to how we were playing the game.

Like most close games, had Higgins kicked that final one we were probably right in it to win and if Short hadden kicked two of the lowest percentage goals possible we are in the same position.

Can definitely take Brisbane on at Marvel where we can actually play to our gameplan.
Dougal will stay in, for all the bitching on here his "mistakes" were not adapting to the wet weather football properly and his height no longer being an advantage in defense. Needed for Daniher and Hipwood.

Good post. I am sure Doogs getting subbed wasn't him being 'yanked', it was Ryan had already been subbed for Richmond and no-one looked liked taking a f50 mark for the rest of the game, such were the conditions. A tactical sub and he'll be back in.

The hero moment I was looking for was that Pou mark late, it was really something on the lead given the conditions. Absolute shank of a kick though (maybe he was a little sleepy) but overall probably quite a good experience for the young man having a clutch moment with the game in the balance.

If Brisbane plays their tall forward line, maybe bring Cordy into the backline. Let Steele have a couple of weeks to get his non injured 🙄knee right & throw into the guts a player from left field Stocker. In his draft year was touted as one of the best midfielders of that year, we wouldn’t lose a great deal with Steele missing either then, sub either Sharman or Patton in case we end up being too slow in the backline.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back