Review Round 15, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Geelong Cats, 7 July 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Jasper Scaif with 8 marks with his normal accuracy that's a decent day out.

You could tell the boys saw him more as the get out kick, than Ramma - as they were kicking to Scaife a ton.

He's a big lad and Cats consistently had issues moving him out of the way. Took a lot of really good relieving marks. Kicking was wayward, but still had a big impact on the game. Just could have been more damaging.

Credit to Ward in the last quarter - he was the one winning a lot of ball in the middle. Felt like he was keeping us in it for periods of the last.

Finn and Serong will surely be in next week - they've been knocking the door down for a while. If Lewis is proppy into this week, Ramma probably shades Scaife - despite Scaife having a more all-round performance (Ramma was very quiet for a lot of this match - was well held).

McCabe was excellent for the half he played. If he can build his fitness up - he will play seniors before years end. He was composed, well-positioned and good delivery. He looks a real player up back.

Much better game from DGB and was outstanding in the last minutes with two super marks. Still think Serong was our best defender - but more games like that from DGB wont hurt. Thought Phillips was frustrating in parts - he still has a habit of having random brain fades at times.
Is Finn tagging or just playing as a more of a ball winning mid? He's been putting up good numbers. I just wouldn't bring him in only to play a hard tagging role...let him come into the seniors and play the same role he's showing good form in.

What sweetens that victory a little more is that Geelong's Connor O'Sullivan accidentally kicked it through for a Hawks behind earlier when kicking to his team-mate. Commentators mentioned that the point could be crucial later.
Later happened... That point was indeed crucial. Suck an egg, Geelong!

Insufficient intent?

Is Finn tagging or just playing as a more of a ball winning mid? He's been putting up good numbers. I just wouldn't bring him in only to play a hard tagging role...let him come into the seniors and play the same role he's showing good form in.

At Box Hill he doesn't appear to be hard tagging.

I'd almost say he plays a utility role at Box Hill. Saw him sweeping up at half back, in the clinches in the centre and roaming half forward. His all-round game is improving.

I feel he's probably got little else to learn at Box Hill. He can accumulate consistently (one of his prior knocks) and he seems far more composed on the ball, his disposal is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

He felt like a spiritual leader on the park today. Just wills his side on.

EDIT: Players that stood out to me today-
  • Scaife and his marking game - had a consistent presence across the game despite his wayward shooting
  • Finn bobbing up as a composed head when we needed one
  • Ward's final quarter, just was everywhere
  • DGB and Serong tandem was cool - DGB would mark or collect, pass off to Serong, who would kick up field.
  • McCabe was just awesome - didn't expect much from a player that's been out for a long time, but after 5 minutes, looked like one of the cleanest on the park. He's so easy to recognise with that mop of his too

FT. BH 10. 12 72 to Gee 10. 11 71.

A weird match. Geelong dominated general play (they had something like +15 inside 50s) but our defensive structures were good. Conversely, we were very scrappy with our rebound play and missed many gettable chances. I thought we lost it when their midfield got on top in the last, but individual brilliance won the day.
  • All eyes on McCabe. Looked a class above in the first half - intercepting, linking up and using it well. Didn't play the second half.
  • Ward had an interesting game. Won a heap of the ball and was influential in the last but butchered it. The few instances he did nail the 40+ kicks he broke the game apart.
  • Hustwaite was strong in the contest with some epic handballs and great defensive work. Lack of pace on transition was a problem.
  • Maginness was having an OK game until his efforts in the last. Tackled hard, won a lot of important contests, and kicked a cracking goal from 50 to give us the lead.
  • Serong the best four quarter defender and probably BOG for us. His defensive craft and rebounding is fantastic.
  • Phillips was reliable and had a good game but was probably overshadowed by the others.
  • DGB was having a solid game then had some herculean defensive efforts in the last. Those back to back contested marks with a minute left were epic.
  • Scafie could have had a massive day - kicked 1.4. with 2 OOTF. Clunked a handful of strong marks and is very promising.
  • Wingard was OK but it wasn't a performance that demanded selection.
  • BMac dominated the first half before a relatively quiet second half. His run is exciting but his finishing is poor.
  • Ryan very promising signs. Ditto Tucker who kicked 2 goals and had a handful of strong contested marks.
  • Reeves had his way in the ruck but we didn't really capitalise on his dominance.
  • Ramsden played mostly forward and wasn't dominant. Umpires let opponents just rag doll him with no consequence.
  • O'Sullivan was OK without being outstanding, but I want to shout out a few critical defensive efforts in the last.
  • Bennetts one or two good moments but a poor game by his standards.
  • Stephens had no impact.

Last edited:
I thought Serong was the only one to put his hand up. Excellent game.

DGB had a great game. Let's see if he can back it up. The talent is there.

Chad didn't do much, but, strangely, I think he would do better in the ones.

Scaife shows promise but I felt he is still a little way off.

McCabe looked really good. I suspect he came off prior to half time. Hope he got through it unscathed.

Max just couldn't buy a mark. Had some horrendous umpires calls go against him.

Overall, we got bullied by the Cats and it seems Selwooding is OK at VFL. Got killed in the air at both ends of the ground. Noodle needs to learn that his team mates wear brown and gold. He gets out-positioned to easily and when he does get his hand to it, it is not to where it should be. Maybe its a case of the mids learning where he is likely to tap it. Did see one perfect tap to a mid running past - except that mid was wearing blue and white.

Lucky to get away with the win.

And WTF was that behind called goal shit in the 3rd quarter?

Last edited:
Reeves back. Must have been a stinger. Need something big here
I was lucky enough to over-hear one of his team-mates ask him about the shoulder on the ground after the siren.

He said someone stood on it when he hit the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Serong was the only one to put his hand up. Excellent game.

DGB had a great game. Let's see if he can back it up. The talent is there.

Chad didn't do much, but, strangely, I think he would do better in the ones.

Scaife shows promise but I felt he is still a little way off.

McCabe looked really good. I suspect he came off prior to half time. Hope he got thought it unscathed.

Max just couldn't buy a mark. Had some horrendous umpires calls go against him.

Overall, we got bullied by the Cats and it seems Selwooding is OK at VFL. Got killed in the air at both ends of the ground. Noodle needs to learn that his team mates wear brown and gold. He gets out-positioned to easily and when he does get his hand to it, it is not to where it should be. Maybe its a case of the mids learning where he is likely to tap it. Did see one perfect tap to a mid running past - except that mid was wearing blue and white.

Lucky to get away with the win.

And WTF was that behind called goal shit in the 3rd quarter?
Not really sure what more you want from Scaife other than kicking straight to be honest. He was everywhere and had about 6 shots on goal. I'd be stoked if Lewis played a game like that.

Ward still lacks the killer instinct. Last quester when Tucker belted it forward 30m from wing/HF, Josh caught it, crossed the 50 almost straight in front with time to kick a goal and hand balled it to Ramma who was facing away from goals. Ward got it back about 35/40m out but still wouldn’t take the shot.

they switched him to more the outside swooping role for the last quarter - with Stephens going in as the inside grunt mid

Ward still lacks the killer instinct. Last quester when Tucker belted it forward 30m from wing/HF, Josh caught it, crossed the 50 almost straight in front with time to kick a goal and hand balled it to Ramma who was facing away from goals. Ward got it back about 35/40m out but still wouldn’t take the shot.
That was quite infuriating.

The sign of a man down on confidence.

well, a good win. Geelong really came to play, not dissimilar to the senior side. Super hard at it, gave the BHH a bit of a surprise for the first half of the first quarter.

Stand outs:
Serong: brilliant 4 quarter game. If Sicily misses again, surely he plays.
HH: fantastic in close, don't worry about his pace, he's an in-an-under excellent extractor.
Bailey MacDonald: fabulous effort, best for the year. If he can just get his disposal better, he's ready made AFL
DGB: only one dumb mistake, and basically won the game in the last three minutes. Marked improvement.
Maginness: hard nut, as he has shown at AFL level, knows where the goals are.

Othres:
Ward: 30+ possessions, about 20 of them wasted. Frustrating. Wonderful last quarter though. Taranto mark 2?
Scaife: too early to tell, but promising. Slow, but incredibly strong. Weitering type, if that makes any sense.
Ryan: best game so far, no wonder Andy Collins loves him, he's a clone of the great man. Will play 150 AFL games.
Wingard: all class, but he's lost a yard or three. Big seven games coming up for the champ.
Reeves, had his moments, but big Lloyd will sleep well this week.
Tucker: starting to show real promise.
Phillips: good last quarter, but otherwise just ok
Stephens: not a great game
O'Sullivan: ok, but doesn't do enough to really excite
Bennetts: pretty quiet
Ramsden: played out of position IMO. Quieter than he has been.
McCabe: only played the first half. Hard to tell on limited exposure, but looking like a defender version of Calsher. wow!!

Stephens: not a great game
To be fair, he only came on for McCabe near the end of the second, and had 12 disposals in just over a half.

Not great, but decent, at least stats wise...did a few decent things, in amongst the basic link-up stuff

A lot has already been said of this game. I would like to be an advocate for Ward here. He had some disposal issues where his kicking and decision making were questionable. He is low on confidence and certainly trying hard. However, I was really impressed with his last qtr. He willed his way into having an impact for us.

His efforts in the last got us over the line. Could have won it on his own had he kicked for goal when he was streaming towards the forward 50 but like I said the kid is low on confidence. Just needs that boost of belief and he is taking those shots on goal. In general, he is beautiful kick, but this game is played above the shoulders for him. He has it this kid players that can rise to the occasion against a good team when the game is on the line are like gold. Well played Wardy you are on the right path mate can't wait for you to join the seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Geelong Cats, 7 July 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back