Review Round 11, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v GWS Giants, 9 June 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Maginness very impressive again, as was Morrison. HH so good in the clinches, will be great as he improves his core strength. Ramma another great game, but monstered by Keefe, goodness we don't need him to go solo v Nankervis next weekend, fingers crossed Reeves or Meek are ok.
Wizard seems to be a beauty, would think Seamus might make room for him this week if there are no injuries.
After a somewhat timid first half, Ward much better in the second. That high ball in the second quarter is a moment he'd like to have again. Has class, no doubt about that.
Too early to make any meaningful judgement on Scaife, but gee he has a great pair of hands and kicks it like a mule. Pace might be an issue.
Cody Anderson will be another Sewell in time, but you'd think he'll go inside the top 40.... hope Laura changes it to the top 20.

FT. BH 134 to GWS 60. Love the look of Cody Anderson, hopefully he's available past pick 40.
  • Watson too good for this level. 4.2. and looked a tier above all day. Tore the fourth apart.
  • Bennetts an elite first quarter then faded. Love his link work.
  • Scafie had a great first half then hardly touched it. Could have kicked 3 but was unselfish.
  • Morrison our clear BOG across four quarters - super reliable and damaging.
  • Serong is VFL Sicily.
  • Typical Finn game. Great work-rate, too strong, disposal needs work.
  • Ramma getting some confidence back. Kicking 3 and taking a handful of contested marks while being the first ruck is great.
  • Hustwaite's contested work and defensive efforts were elite today. Did get torched on the spread a bit.
  • Bodie continues to grow in confidence.
  • Ward was OK. Got better as the game wore on but wasn't particularly impactful.
  • DGB is getting some confidence back, flying high and taking intercept marks. Opposition players try to bait him into reacting.
  • Wingard went off with soreness at HT but was quiet until that point.
Great write-up. I really appreciate the recaps you do each Box Hill game VandoHawk. I can't often watch the game when they are on Sunday due to family commitments, so it's really helpful to be able to follow along due to your efforts (and everyone else who contributes).

Keen to hear a bit more around Watson's game. Were they opportunist type goals or work off the deck? Also when you describe Serong as the 'VFL Sicily', are you referring to the role he plays? Or does he have Sicily-like qualities? I don't seem to notice him as much when he's at AFL level but it might just be due to the role he's been asked to play I suppose.

Great write-up. I really appreciate the recaps you do each Box Hill game VandoHawk. I can't often watch the game when they are on Sunday due to family commitments, so it's really helpful to be able to follow along due to your efforts (and everyone else who contributes).

Keen to hear a bit more around Watson's game. Were they opportunist type goals or work off the deck? Also when you describe Serong as the 'VFL Sicily', are you referring to the role he plays? Or does he have Sicily-like qualities? I don't seem to notice him as much when he's at AFL level but it might just be due to the role he's been asked to play I suppose.

Serong accumulates a lot of the ball using his judgement to peel off his man. We also try to get the ball in his hands a lot because his kicking can be very damaging like Sicily.

Watson’s first goal was through work-rate running back although Chad could have kicked it too. His second was a freakish banana from the pocket. He then went a while without looking to score, but his clean disposal and pressure remained consistent. One of the few players in the third who wasn’t spraying it. In the fourth, he generated three shots on goal primarily through good leading and marking. Probably could have had another two shots but gave it to players in better conditions. He has really good work-rate for a small.

I only tuned in for the second half, so much depth through this side, several players too good for this level. Morrison frustrates me, his good is very good but man his decision making at times to give hospital passes to team mates is scarily bad. I was watching a different game to others if he was best on ground, Wiz by far for mine.

Excited about that Anderson kid, what's the go with Hawks having priority to draft him? I've lost track of how academy picks work now.

I only tuned in for the second half, so much depth through this side, several players too good for this level. Morrison frustrates me, his good is very good but man his decision making at times to give hospital passes to team mates is scarily bad. I was watching a different game to others if he was best on ground, Wiz by far for mine.

Excited about that Anderson kid, what's the go with Hawks having priority to draft him? I've lost track of how academy picks work now.
Yeah Morrison had some howlers. A play late in the game Ward got it from a scrap and burst away, swinging a long handball into Morrison who had space. He stopped, propped and turned backwards handballing it to a bloke getting tackled. Was laughable.

Still had some good tho, just does my head in with that stuff.

He's like a jack in the box. Incredible vertical leap.

Wiz has literal springs in his feet - such a good leap.

He talked about in his draft year, that he's been smaller than most players for most of his juniors. So he had to develop weapons that could even the natural disadvantage.

A player that is drafted so early, has clear advantages to balance out his height - and clearly, his leap is a big one of these. No fluke either - he just keeps doing it. Going to take a blinder mark, Puopolo/Rioli-esque, at some point I expect.

Yeah Morrison had some howlers. A play late in the game Ward got it from a scrap and burst away, swinging a long handball into Morrison who had space. He stopped, propped and turned backwards handballing it to a bloke getting tackled. Was laughable.

Still had some good tho, just does my head in with that stuff.
That passage of play is the reason he won’t be at hawthorn next season. It was so poor that the only reasoning I have for him is he left his glasses on the bathroom sink.

That passage of play is the reason he won’t be at hawthorn next season. It was so poor that the only reasoning I have for him is he left his glasses on the bathroom sink.
He got space too, and then he had the ability to drive forward but didn't, which lead almost to his teammate murdered from behind. Was very poor after a good passage from Ward and Hustwaite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he won't be at Hawthorn next year because he's a free agent and at least three clubs are interested (although I am sure there are more). If I had to guess, he'll be at North Melbourne.
Hawks would be happy to keep him, but wouldn't offer more than a one year deal, whereas the Roos will offer three.
Watching it today, he's well above VFL level, as are Maginness and Watson.

he won't be at Hawthorn next year because he's a free agent and at least three clubs are interested (although I am sure there are more). If I had to guess, he'll be at North Melbourne.
Hawks would be happy to keep him, but wouldn't offer more than a one year deal, whereas the Roos will offer three.
Watching it today, he's well above VFL level, as are Maginness and Watson.
He’s a very good VFL player who can play a role at AFL level, that’s the extent of it.

Hawks have had plenty of those players who now have a premiership medal (or two)
He would be a regular player in clubs such as North, St Kilda and WCE.
Being a FA, it is a free throw for these types of clubs.

Really interesting to see the positive write ups on DGB. Was only able to listen in 3WBC, and they torched him badly. Said he should be delisted immediately.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their views.

Anderson also showing why he's a first round fancy.
…who didn’t make the Vic Metro team this weekend?

The U18 championships were on today. Anderson was eligible to play for Vic Metro against the Allies, but was named as an emergency. That’s why he played for Box Hill instead.

There were 23 players were ahead of him for one of the 6 teams in the Champs. There’s another 5 teams playing with heaps of draft hopefuls.

So how does that make him a “first round fancy”?

Last edited:
…who didn’t make the Vic Metro team this weekend?

The U18 championships were on today. Anderson was eligible to play for Vic Metro against the Allies, but was named as an emergency. That’s why he played for Box Hill instead.

There were 23 players were ahead of him for one of the 6 teams in the Champs. There’s another 5 teams playing with heaps of draft hopefuls.

So how does that make him a “first round fancy”?
Last piece of draft media I consumed was a few months ago- they had him as a smokey for it.

FT. BH 134 to GWS 60. Love the look of Cody Anderson, hopefully he's available past pick 40.
  • Watson too good for this level. 4.2. and looked a tier above all day. Tore the fourth apart.
  • Bennetts an elite first quarter then faded. Love his link work.
  • Scafie had a great first half then hardly touched it. Could have kicked 3 but was unselfish.
  • Morrison our clear BOG across four quarters - super reliable and damaging.
  • Serong is VFL Sicily.
  • Typical Finn game. Great work-rate, too strong, disposal needs work.
  • Ramma getting some confidence back. Kicking 3 and taking a handful of contested marks while being the first ruck is great.
  • Hustwaite's contested work and defensive efforts were elite today. Did get torched on the spread a bit.
  • Bodie continues to grow in confidence.
  • Ward was OK. Got better as the game wore on but wasn't particularly impactful.
  • DGB is getting some confidence back, flying high and taking intercept marks. Opposition players try to bait him into reacting.
  • Wingard went off with soreness at HT but was quiet until that point.

Love the write ups. Thanks Vandohawk. 🖖

Here it is in a nutshell.

If we have access to any exciting kids we lose them and if any Northern club has access to any exciting kids they get them.

Here it is in a nutshell.

If we have access to any exciting kids we lose them and if any Northern club has access to any exciting kids they get them.

And there’s so much of this in the first round, the eagles who finished last, took the first second round pick at #30

It’s completely stuffed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back