Review Round 15, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Geelong Cats, 7 July 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot has already been said of this game. I would like to be an advocate for Ward here. He had some disposal issues where his kicking and decision making were questionable. He is low on confidence and certainly trying hard. However, I was really impressed with his last qtr. He willed his way into having an impact for us.

His efforts in the last got us over the line. Could have won it on his own had he kicked for goal when he was streaming towards the forward 50 but like I said the kid is low on confidence. Just needs that boost of belief and he is taking those shots on goal. In general, he is beautiful kick, but this game is played above the shoulders for him. He has it this kid players that can rise to the occasion against a good team when the game is on the line are like gold. Well played Wardy you are on the right path mate can't wait for you to join the seniors.
He's definitely working hard at BH

A lot has already been said of this game. I would like to be an advocate for Ward here. He had some disposal issues where his kicking and decision making were questionable. He is low on confidence and certainly trying hard. However, I was really impressed with his last qtr. He willed his way into having an impact for us.

His efforts in the last got us over the line. Could have won it on his own had he kicked for goal when he was streaming towards the forward 50 but like I said the kid is low on confidence. Just needs that boost of belief and he is taking those shots on goal. In general, he is beautiful kick, but this game is played above the shoulders for him. He has it this kid players that can rise to the occasion against a good team when the game is on the line are like gold. Well played Wardy you are on the right path mate can't wait for you to join the seniors.
I like Ward , but if 10 weeks at VFL level racking up 30 each week doesn't give him confidence I am not sure what will.

I like Ward , but if 10 weeks at VFL level racking up 30 each week doesn't give him confidence I am not sure what will.
I think over value possessions. Ward has high standards for himself. His disposal and decision making is not quite there. Its very simplistic to say what you have said

So, if he lacks the confidence to play how we want him to play, how is that remedied?
More games. Players build confidence as they keep playing and getting positive feedback perhaps getting promoted for a game and dropping back if they don't. It's a tried and true method and worked for the best in the game and it will work for Wardy. All it requires is patience.

So, if he lacks the confidence to play how we want him to play, how is that remedied?
I want to see Ward start taking that long penetrating kick and the attacking 45 kicks more often. Like the one he hit Rama up with in the last. He has that in him. Takes alot of dinky safe kicks. Think he is going to be a 200 game player for us. Building nicely.

LOL Scaife again.

He looks absolutely fuming.

Nek minnut...

YVEbUk.gif
Did Hall get suspended for that?

Was the DGB or Leo Barry reincarnated?
That last mark was brilliant.
Is Finn tagging or just playing as a more of a ball winning mid? He's been putting up good numbers. I just wouldn't bring him in only to play a hard tagging role...let him come into the seniors and play the same role he's showing good form in.
A lot of the credit could go to Sammy. Finn was no where near ready to be an AFL standard Inside or outside mid. He found a role for him and now is valuable as a tagger and on the right path to be an inside mid too.

Tough run home for Box Hill. We play either finals aspirants or teams already entrenched for the remaining games. No games against sides in the bottom 3rd of the ladder.

Good in some ways, but realistically going to make top 4 unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough run home for Box Hill. We play either finals aspirants or teams already entrenched for the remaining games. No games against sides in the bottom 3rd of the ladder.

Good in some ways, but realistically going to make top 4 unlikely.

Conversely, if we can just keep winning, we'll be knocking opposition down the ladder, and be battle-hardened for finals.

Hasn’t kept Watson out of the seniors
Could you have picked two more incomparable forwards? Only thing in common is they’re both better shots at goal than recent output.

Scaife lacked composure with his goalkicking this week, which got into his head. Often looked rushed and kicked it too hard, but they’ll fix that. No doubt a strong mark and booming kick. Not quick but excited to see what he can do with an AFL engine.

Could you have picked two more incomparable forwards? Only thing in common is they’re both better shots at goal than recent output.

Scaife lacked composure with his goalkicking this week, which got into his head. Often looked rushed and kicked it too hard, but they’ll fix that. No doubt a strong mark and booming kick. Not quick but excited to see what he can do with an AFL engine.
Why do people keep saying he's not quick? Speed off the mark is highlighted as a strength in his draft profile. He looks a lot more mobile and quicker than Lewis, to be honest.

Just needs to go the Mark Williams schoolof goal kicking, hell it is working just fine for McKay, who, if you look closely, simply kicks the ball 5-10m over the goal umpires head.

The fact they are different size / roles is irrelevant.

The discrete point (only thing in common) was missing goals can kill you at AFL level and if you want to play the highest level, you need to convert your chances.

The comment is still true - Watson has played almost all season in our seniors despite his kicking for goal being poor.

It's all I was saying.

Just needs to go the Mark Williams schoolof goal kicking, hell it is working just fine for McKay, who, if you look closely, simply kicks the ball 5-10m over the goal umpires head.
That reminds me, when Gunston was at his best he had that style where he held the ball at a severe angle with the bottom point of the ball pointing back towards his shins. Then he'd dink the ball over the goal umpire per above. Wonder why he went away from that, it certainly used to work for him.

Probably nicked that and with 6 more AFL listed players not a great performance but sometimes you just have to get the W.
Players covered well already I must say I was on the ticket bandwagon early and today he stepped up. Thought he was really combative and strong over head but he’s also pretty composed and with good skills for someone his size and age. I am really bullish in 2028 after a mountain of weights and pies he’s our #1 ruck hopefully with ramsden his backup. Imagine that as we contend our rucks are both mid season picks!
Outside him ward was better than most think for mine he will get there and bodie Ryan much better today. Serong BOG comes in to play against Caleb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 15, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Geelong Cats, 7 July 2024, 2.05pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back