Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives: Owens, Crouch, Hill & Sinclair & 4 points. Hill's injury not as bad as first thought - Howards fault FFS.

Negatives: too many to list.

I doubt Hill gets up for next week and Battle will miss, again no thanks to Howard.

Dal said in the last 1/4 he thought Marshall played well. I thought the WCE ruckman got the better of him. Our midfield are still putrid and we keep sending the same players in there?
Lol

Yu know you are a genuine whipping boy if you get blamed for a blokes injury because he didn't show awareness

What should Howard have done in that situation?

Surely Ross threatened some jobs at half time..

Should punch himself in the face. He has the worst style of footy in the league by plenty. His game style is the ugliest most unedifying spectacle imaginable.

What was everyone expecting a 100 point victory?

That's not our game.

We are 5th.
Didn’t need to be 100 points but we were beaten for 3 quarters of a game by the team that is statistically the worst since Fitzroy.

A team that all year has been compared to a VFL side, one that is so bad it’s causing an already unfair fixture to be even more unfair because of the teams that get to play them twice.

Without a doubt.

We need to replace:

1. Defence - Howard (gives away 2 goals a game through sheer stupidity)

2. Midfield - Brynes; Ross; Marshall (not a tap ruckman)

3. Forward: Gresham, Philippou is not ready.

Hooly dooly you're getting rid of Rowan? 26 touches, 8 clearances (game high), 34 hitouts and 6 tackles is not bad, I get he'll never be a silver service ruck but what he offers in mobility, marking and ball winning ability at stoppages is massive.

If we are a 12-6 team we shouldn't have given one of the worst sides in recent history a 5 goal lead.

No idea why anyone would be surprised to see fans pushed with that effort.
They got beaten by 171 points last week by a team we beat comfortably on their home deck 2 weeks before. So there you go.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Owens a star

Hammer showed some stuff

Crouch carried us

Hill had a crack

Howard, Byrnes, Ross should be sent to Siberia

Gresh has a bit of a pretend for a quarter here and there.

I once had a dog that ate dog sh*t. Then I got another dog and the first dog taught it to eat dog sh*t. I feel like somehow that's kinda what happened to Sinclair's kicking at times tonight. He should be in solitary confinement through the week so the other player's lack of skills don't infect him.

Windy went ok. Def see a future there.

Sometimes.... Higgins isn't very bright.

Sharman did some good things and showed some much needed composure. Would like to see him start.

As I said in the game day thread, maybe RTB will go crazy and drop Ross for Paton next week.

Lol

Yu know you are a genuine whipping boy if you get blamed for a blokes injury because he didn't show awareness

What should Howard have done in that situation?
Absolute joke to blame Howard for that. Plenty of decencies in Howard's game, but that was all on Hill.

Is there an AFL player equivalent to an orphanage where we can drop off Dougal Howard?
Yeah, Worndoo-Mortlake FNL where his brother plays

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. If the worst thing that happened today was "My team didn't win by enough", then life is pretty good.
Yeah, we heard the same after the North game.

Nothing to worry about apparently. A wins a win.

Most people saw the signs. It's not just about talent. We aren't playing near as well as we were in the first part of the year. Desperation has gone backwards, our defence is being opened up and some of our leaders are costing.

If you are happy with us playing like that, good for you I guess but I think most fans want to see more.

Fair chance that 8th spot may come down to percentage. We've been ordinary against all 3 bottom sides now.

A good mate is a professor in sports psych.

A big part of his job has been to interview coaches of professional sports clubs.

His main takeaway on coaches is this : there are 2 types of coaches. The first are like kids on a beach making a beautiful sandcastle. They take time to create it and craft it, going down to the water and getting different type of sands, nurturing and sculpting it to their liking. The second type of coach is ones who are adept at kicking down sandcastles.”

The problem is, modern sport more and more is encouraging creative coaches and tactics (this is to do with trying to eliminate concussions as much as possible and to maximize Tv rights and ratings in a competitive market).

Coaches like Ross Lyon, who is very good at kicking down sandcastles and relies on tackling, physicality, effort and defensive structures are just no good anymore and won’t be going forward.

We’ve got ourselves a busted flush with Ross. He hasn’t got an offensive creative bone in his body. His one tactical tweak (besides mentioning the standing man on the mark rule) was that the Saints would be a better “running” team. Sadly, running won’t change a thing for us, only learning to kicking and hand ball quickly and precisely (this takes a lot of coaching) will change things. You can kick the ball faster than you can run. Ross just doesn’t have it in him to change himself and be able to be a coach that can teach this.

I’d like to think we could get a creative assistant in and it could change things but who are we kidding. Ross’s strength was always his dominating personality and single-mindedness. The chances of him handing over the offensive reins to someone else are slim to none.
What are you on about?

Most pundits had us in the bottom 4 and 99% of them had us outside the 8.

RTB has us 5th. With 8 left. With an insane injury list all year and us playing 4-5 <20 year olds every week.

Plenty of fans would have had a 6 goal win against that rabble as the bare minimum pass mark so an 8 point win after being 5 goals down would be a failure to many.

Personally I’ll take any win after following this club my whole life but I can’t think of a less convincing win against a worse team in my memory.

Owens a star

Hammer showed some stuff

Crouch carried us

Hill had a crack

Howard, Byrnes, Ross should be sent to Siberia

Gresh has a bit of a pretend for a quarter here and there.

I once had a dog that ate dog sh*t. Then I got another dog and the first dog taught it to eat dog sh*t. I feel like somehow that's kinda what happened to Sinclair's kicking at times tonight. He should be in solitary confinement through the week so the other player's lack of skills don't infect him.

Windy went ok. Def see a future there.

Sometimes.... Higgins isn't very bright.

Sharman did some good things and showed some much needed composure. Would like to see him start.

As I said in the game day thread, maybe RTB will go crazy and drop Ross for Paton next week.
Enjoyed reading this 😂

Didn’t need to be 100 points but we were beaten for 3 quarters of a game by the team that is statistically the worst since Fitzroy.

A team that all year has been compared to a VFL side, one that is so bad it’s causing an already unfair fixture to be even more unfair because of the teams that get to play them twice.

1: In Perth

2: Publically humilated by the press

3: Playing for their careers

4: Playing for their premiership coach's career

I'm happy with a win

If you wanted a 100 point win, then look at our scoring for the last 5 games. They would have to be negative

Win is a win is a win.

Crouch had 26 disposals and 17 tackles!

Owens, Marshall, Sinclair, Wood, Nas did well from what I saw.

Windy with a pleasing 20 disposals, half of which were contested.

Incredible that GWS won today, if we win next week we are top 4 going into round 18. Madness.

They got beaten by 171 points last week by a team we beat comfortably on their home deck 2 weeks before. So there you go.

Exactly.

Not sure how you are helping your point by pointing out ow awful West Coast are

And that we with their best player who was out today

Absolute joke to blame Howard for that. Plenty of decencies in Howard's game, but that was all on Hill.

Spot on. About 62% of the Game Day thread is about how shit Howard is.
He took 11 marks, his opponent (their best forward) kicked two goals. He was absolutely vital in this win.

Gotta love those who are melting their faces off about stuff we already well know to be deficiencies, that weren’t just going to disappear into thin air in the space of a week. 😄

Especially against a team who applied huge pressure, in front of a parochial crowd, and played out of their skins for a half.

After which we outscored them 7.11 to 3.3.
Mate we were playing against the Kalamunda amateurs, bloody oath the deficiencies should've disappeared against a side like this.

Hard to see how anyone can spin this into a good result - it was shocking and we were lucky to be ahead when the final siren rang.

That was about as predictable as day turns into night.

A club on their home deck playing an interstate side and the home side has just been embarrassed by record proportions with fans threatening to riot the week prior….

Would always ALWAYS come out breathing fire and having a crack.

Kick straighter in the last quarter and it’s a cosy win away.

Plenty to work on. But I don’t see that as a poor result like most will

Predictable like the Saints not showing up knowing that they'd respond. Apparently we were warned about the Hawks in advance too and failed to show up. Your mate Lyon should start ringing those realestate blokes back and see if his old job is still there. He's worse than Ratts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back