Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

A good mate is a professor in sports psych.

A big part of his job has been to interview coaches of professional sports clubs.

His main takeaway on coaches is this : there are 2 types of coaches. The first are like kids on a beach making a beautiful sandcastle. They take time to create it and craft it, going down to the water and getting different type of sands, nurturing and sculpting it to their liking. The second type of coach is ones who are adept at kicking down sandcastles.”

The problem is, modern sport more and more is encouraging creative coaches and tactics (this is to do with trying to eliminate concussions as much as possible and to maximize Tv rights and ratings in a competitive market).

Coaches like Ross Lyon, who is very good at kicking down sandcastles and relies on tackling, physicality, effort and defensive structures are just no good anymore and won’t be going forward.

We’ve got ourselves a busted flush with Ross. He hasn’t got an offensive creative bone in his body. His one tactical tweak (besides mentioning the standing man on the mark rule) was that the Saints would be a better “running” team. Sadly, running won’t change a thing for us, only learning to kicking and hand ball quickly and precisely (this takes a lot of coaching) will change things. You can kick the ball faster than you can run. Ross just doesn’t have it in him to change himself and be able to be a coach that can teach this.

I’d like to think we could get a creative assistant in and it could change things but who are we kidding. Ross’s strength was always his dominating personality and single-mindedness. The chances of him handing over the offensive reins to someone else are slim to none.
Gotta say, much respect for your ability to view the situation objectively. We were at odds at the beginning of the year but you've come around. If circumstances change so should opinions. You are pretty much on the money.

Did they not show up? Every time the TV put the graphic up about pressure, which despite some blokes sport psych mate is the fundamental of todays football, west coast were measured at Elite levels.
Can we just accept that they set themselves for this game, had a real crack, got a pretty good run with decisions, were at home and would have been hard to beat for the majority of teams in the league?
Just cos they don't try most weeks has nothing to do with what they did today.

True, they try but have no skills or system. WC managed to hit targets and spread into space. We are dumb and poorly skilled more than lazy I guess.

I thought Windhager was quite good.
Our forward line setup is still poor.
Our fwd line is shit cos king doesn't know how to lead let alone do multiple leads to create space for himself or others.

He just wants to wrestle.

I'd seriously think about playing hammer as the number 1 as he puts in the effort.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are you on about?

Most pundits had us in the bottom 4 and 99% of them had us outside the 8.

RTB has us 5th. With 8 left. With an insane injury list all year and us playing 4-5 <20 year olds every week.

Insane injury list?

Are you serious?

You'd be at the better end of injuries across the league.

Little to nothing out right now.

Clark and Membrey which wont add much to your current list.

Only thing correct in the above is you will be bottom 8 when the real stuff begins.

Head start on the pre season and a sugar hit with the dictator Ross got your some wins early.

Now its back to reality.

Good to get midfield minutes into Windy and Phillipou.
Owens was very good forward. All class.
Hill was exceptional second half as was Gres.
Roh got better as the game went on as did Wood.
Butler good with limited opportunities. Higgins needs to slow it down when kickable goals are there to ice a game.
King was so so, but had some moments.
Crouch huge, Steele WTF, backline not bad after losing Josh, Coops composed down back.
Nas quiet, Byrne tries but would be bottom six.
Need to change up next week.
Cordy for Battle
Billings for Hill
Jones for Ross.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Owens had a late growth spurt, he was a skinny and short small forward in the juniors. Only moved to midfield the final 1 or 2 years of TAC cup I think, so he is a natural forward than midfield, leave him in the forward line and gets stints in the midfield.. 4 goals a game is bloody good return.

Last edited:
Because we easily beat the team that beat them by 171 points, not rocket surgery.

No one is disputing the Sydny win wasn't a good one though.

You are some how surprised because fans are pissed that we only just got over the line against one of the worst sides in recent history.

Us beating Sydney is completely irrelevant. Everyone was rightfully happy with the way we played that night (for the most part)

Only playing 28 players so far this year. Injuries aside, Ross Lyon is not known for giving a try to other players. At least to see if they are any good. However I don't think there is much in the vfl team. Peris? Bytel? Connolly?

Hammer, Stocker, Ownes, Windhager, Phillipou, Naz, Byrnes, played the majority of games.

Connolly, Bytel have their papers stamped. Peris getting closer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don’t enjoy watching many of these players. The only ones I like watching are Owens, Sinclair, Phillipou, Crouch, Nas, Wilkie, Webster, Hammer, Butler. The rest just don’t excite me (including King because he always looks sooky). I wish they’d get their s**t together so I can enjoy watching the footy again.

King is a taller Gresham. Disinterested in team stuff and doesn't work back the other way. Sits under the ball like he has his feet in concrete and whinges when he gets outworked and didn't even make a contest. There are a few players that have been ruined by poor development. Owens looks a class above anyone else at the club besides Sinclair who was actually shit tonight.

I'd send King to Sandy and tell him to learn how to play like a KPF. Cordy would be an upgrade and he's got less talent than Kings hair brush. Our mids are too dumb to not kick it on him.

Our fwd line is s**t cos king doesn't know how to lead let alone do multiple leads to create space for himself or others.

I'd seriously think about playing hammer as the number 1 as he puts in the effort.

Do you think there’s any chance our midfield can conjure up a clean forward 50 entry in favour of our forwards? No, nada.. because without Ryder, we can’t win any clean clearances (quickest route to goal), really need a much better tap ruckman that Marshall and 1-2 contested beasts to transform the midfield, and no, Owens and Windhager are too young to be the starting mids, need 1 or 2 more experienced heads. Maybe Sanders + Stocker + another underplayed young gun.

That was about as predictable as day turns into night.

A club on their home deck playing an interstate side and the home side has just been embarrassed by record proportions with fans threatening to riot the week prior….

Would always ALWAYS come out breathing fire and having a crack.

Kick straighter in the last quarter and it’s a cosy win away.

Plenty to work on. But I don’t see that as a poor result like most will
Can’t agree with that
Our boys knew all of that and still let WC do it
IMO just shows how far off the pace we are and how little we have improved at this stage. Still mentally fragile

Will go no where with that midfield and our leadership is putrid

Because he f...cked the handball and then didnt tell Hill he was hot, have you never played? The other with Battle was his fault because he gave up on the chase and didnt pressure Allen - which he does every game by the way.

How would you know that he didn't tell Hill he was hot? You are making shit up now.
And a marking contest is his fault as well? Surely this is troll.

FMD, did he bang your missus or something.

Insane injury list?

Are you serious?

Only thing correct in the above is you will be bottom 8 when the real stuff begins.

Head start on the pre season and a sugar hit with the dictator Ross got your some wins early.

Now its back to reality.

You’re on top, you don’t need to troll other clubs to make you feel like a big man.

Insane injury list?

Are you serious?

Now its back to reality.
Second, only to WCE Einstein.

An ugly win if ever there was one.

Once again we had too few like Crouch, Sinclair and Marshall carrying too many passengers and some of our kids were good like Owens and Windhager.

Not many other positives apart from getting the 4 points, looks like we will be without Battle next week and possibly Hill depending on how he pulls up.

Our midfield and forward line still needs a lot of improvement if we are going to challenger the top teams.

Our fwd line is s**t cos king doesn't know how to lead let alone do multiple leads to create space for himself or others.

We should send him to full back and put that other Gumby Diggle Howard up forward where he can't do dumb shit.

King is a taller Gresham. Disinterested in team stuff and doesn't work back the other way. Sits under the ball like he has his feet in concrete and whinges when he gets outworked and didn't even make a contest. There are a few players that have been ruined by poor development. Owens looks a class above anyone else at the club besides Sinclair who was actually s**t tonight.

I'd send King to Sandy and tell him to learn how to play like a KPF. Cordy would be an upgrade and he's got less talent than Kings hair brush. Our mids are too dumb to not kick it on him.
I just think King is super competitive and gets frustrated easily.

If you’re playing in our forward line, wouldn’t you do the same with how pathetic our forward entries are ? :p
King will kick bags on a weekly basis at any top 4 side.

No one is disputing the Sydny win wasn't a good one though.

You are some how surprised because fans are pissed that we only just got over the line against one of the worst sides in recent history.

Us beating Sydney is completely irrelevant. Everyone was rightfully happy with the way we played that night (for the most part)

Us beating Sydney is irrelevant but Sydney beating WCE is? OK mate.

Insane injury list?

Are you serious?

Now its back to reality.
Who asked?

You wet-dog-smelling-house having dad rooter.

Last edited:
Insane injury list?

Are you serious?

Now its back to reality.

**** off dick sniffer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back