Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t need to be 100 points but we were beaten for 3 quarters of a game by the team that is statistically the worst since Fitzroy.

A team that all year has been compared to a VFL side, one that is so bad it’s causing an already unfair fixture to be even more unfair because of the teams that get to play them twice.

Literally tanking so that they don't hand the Roos pick 1.

Saints what a great result. Bring on Demons bouncing back from a loss against GWS should be a lock out.

We will be so buoyed by the great grinding win against a WCE who has been gallant in defeat.

We are the shitiest 5th on the ladder for years. Now Demons want to add to the drama of the log jam 4th to 11th.

2 quarter effort against a side that has used 40 players and had 2 players kick their first goal shows how lucky we are to come away with the 4 points. Their percentage is below 50. Therefore, on average, they lose by a margin greater than their own score.

We look terrible going forward...looked better with King further up the ground and the little fellas from the goal square... that will not work against May et al.

On a positive coaches, moving Sincs onto Shuey stopped their breaking thru and into fwd 50. Keeping Owens Butler Higgins and Gresh deep seemed to work and made the fwd 50 more unpredictability predictable.

The march to September by Saints remains a quandary wrapped in a riddle.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on. About 62% of the Game Day thread is about how s**t Howard is.
He took 11 marks, his opponent (their best forward) kicked two goals. He was absolutely vital in this win.
The two problems with Dougs are he tries to be too smart and he zones off a bit too much. Allen dropped a couple of marks in the last quarter where he had Dougs done just because Dougs was sitting too far off the contest. Other than that and his weekly goal from turnover, he played well. Just has to stay in his lane a bit more and focus on being a great 1v1 defender.

Good to get midfield minutes into Windy and Phillipou.
Owens was very good forward. All class.
Hill was exceptional second half as was Gres.
Roh got better as the game went on as did Wood.
Butler good with limited opportunities. Higgins needs to slow it down when kickable goals are there to ice a game.
King was so so, but had some moments.
Crouch huge, Steele WTF, backline not bad after losing Josh, Coops composed down back.
Nas quiet, Byrne tries but would be bottom six.
Need to change up next week.
Cordy for Battle
Billings for Hill
Jones for Ross.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's ridiculous if we get our s**t together we could finish 4th. Dees aren't in form either and just endured a hell of a slog.

They were better than GWS in every way except on the scoreboard in shit conditions. I'd take their shit form over ours at the moment.

Exactly.

Not sure how you are helping your point by pointing out ow awful West Coast are

And that we with their best player who was out today
Because we easily beat the team that beat them by 171 points, not rocket surgery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Predictable like the Saints not showing up knowing that they'd respond. Apparently we were warned about the Hawks in advance too and failed to show up. Your mate Lyon should start ringing those realestate blokes back and see if his old job is still there. He's worse than Ratts.
Did they not show up? Every time the TV put the graphic up about pressure, which despite some blokes sport psych mate is the fundamental of todays football, west coast were measured at Elite levels.
Can we just accept that they set themselves for this game, had a real crack, got a pretty good run with decisions, were at home and would have been hard to beat for the majority of teams in the league?
Just cos they don't try most weeks has nothing to do with what they did today.

A good mate is a professor in sports psych.

A big part of his job has been to interview coaches of professional sports clubs.

His main takeaway on coaches is this : there are 2 types of coaches. The first are like kids on a beach making a beautiful sandcastle. They take time to create it and craft it, going down to the water and getting different type of sands, nurturing and sculpting it to their liking. The second type of coach is ones who are adept at kicking down sandcastles.”

The problem is, modern sport more and more is encouraging creative coaches and tactics (this is to do with trying to eliminate concussions as much as possible and to maximize Tv rights and ratings in a competitive market).

Coaches like Ross Lyon, who is very good at kicking down sandcastles and relies on tackling, physicality, effort and defensive structures are just no good anymore and won’t be going forward.

We’ve got ourselves a busted flush with Ross. He hasn’t got an offensive creative bone in his body. His one tactical tweak (besides mentioning the standing man on the mark rule) was that the Saints would be a better “running” team. Sadly, running won’t change a thing for us, only learning to kicking and hand ball quickly and precisely (this takes a lot of coaching) will change things. You can kick the ball faster than you can run. Ross just doesn’t have it in him to change himself and be able to be a coach that can teach this.

I’d like to think we could get a creative assistant in and it could change things but who are we kidding. Ross’s strength was always his dominating personality and single-mindedness. The chances of him handing over the offensive reins to someone else are slim to none.
One of Ross's sayings is "from the class to the grass". That would indicate to me that they spend a lot of time on tactics including offence.
I said it before and I'll keep repeating it, lack of leadership is our biggest problem and it does not matter how much talent you have at your disposal, not addressing leadership will lead us nowhere

Good to get midfield minutes into Windy and Phillipou.
Owens was very good forward. All class.
Hill was exceptional second half as was Gres.
Roh got better as the game went on as did Wood.
Butler good with limited opportunities. Higgins needs to slow it down when kickable goals are there to ice a game.
King was so so, but had some moments.
Crouch huge, Steele WTF, backline not bad after losing Josh, Coops composed down back.
Nas quiet, Byrne tries but would be bottom six.
Need to change up next week.
Cordy for Battle
Billings for Hill
Jones for Ross.

Think Hill will play

come off it, it was the poorest standard of football you are ever likely to witness. both teams looked bottom 4.

In your opinion & that’s fine I’m happy to sit 5th on the ladder & play finals we won’t win the flag & I wasn’t expecting to so if your not happy & your entitled to then get off the bus have a break from the football & see you next year bud cause I’m enjoying the season. See ya

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That was about as predictable as day turns into night.

A club on their home deck playing an interstate side and the home side has just been embarrassed by record proportions with fans threatening to riot the week prior….

Would always ALWAYS come out breathing fire and having a crack.

Kick straighter in the last quarter and it’s a cosy win away.

Plenty to work on. But I don’t see that as a poor result like most will
Has to be satire at this point.

What are you on about?

Most pundits had us in the bottom 4 and 99% of them had us outside the 8.

RTB has us 5th. With 8 left. With an insane injury list all year and us playing 4-5 <20 year olds every week.
Only playing 28 players so far this year. Injuries aside, Ross Lyon is not known for giving a try to other players. At least to see if they are any good. However I don't think there is much in the vfl team. Peris? Bytel? Connolly?

I just don’t enjoy watching many of these players. The only ones I like watching are Owens, Sinclair, Phillipou, Crouch, Nas, Wilkie, Webster, Hammer, Butler. The rest just don’t excite me (including King because he always looks sooky). I wish they’d get their shit together so I can enjoy watching the footy again.

The two problems with Dougs are he tries to be too smart and he zones off a bit too much. Allen dropped a couple of marks in the last quarter where he had Dougs done just because Dougs was sitting too far off the contest. Other than that and his weekly goal from turnover, he played well. Just has to stay in his lane a bit more and focus on being a great 1v1 defender.
Howard should stick to basics. Beat his man on man and stop being cute with the ball / falling over. Someone tell him he is a very ordinary footballer and is lucky we don’t have anyone else.

How the * was it Howard's fault? Hill took an eternity to get rid of it.

You Howard haters blame him for everything. Jesus Christ

Because he f...cked the handball and then didnt tell Hill he was hot, have you never played? The other with Battle was his fault because he gave up on the chase and didnt pressure Allen - which he does every game by the way.

One of Ross's sayings is "from the class to the grass". That would indicate to me that they spend a lot of time on tactics including offence.
I said it before and I'll keep repeating it, lack of leadership is our biggest problem and it does not matter how much talent you have at your disposal, not addressing leadership will lead us nowhere
What drives me insane is the lack of leadership has been a problem for 10 years now lol, and outside of bringing Hannebery into the team (a failure), we’ve done nothing to address it.

Negative when we’re 5th on the ladder and ahead of schedule, we really won’t be happy as a fan base until we get the silverware unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2023: West Coast v St.Kilda *WILKIE 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back