Review Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher (sub)

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [38] Bruce Reville

• [41] Darragh Joyce

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He also got out marked by Van Rooyen 2-3 times in the second which led to goals. Couldn’t keep up with him.

Better second half but that second quarter was painful to watch at the ground.
The midfield was the problem in the 2nd quarter. With so much footy coming in, the backline was always going to be under serious pressure.

Fages got stuck into the midfielders at half time

Justified. They were ordinary in the second quarter. Just stood and watched as the ball went to the dees forward 50.

And they picked up in q3, so good on fages.

Last edited:
We managed to fumble and bumble our way to that win, I thought it was a great sign of character from the boys to go on and win it, could have easily thought oh well it's just not going to be our night.

It was being lost in the midfield battle and in the end it was won in the midfield battle, hats off to Berry, Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Reville, Ashcroft to turn that battle on its head, Big O also lifted and helped out with the turnaround.

Clug and Bez votes for their goals, Dunks and Hippy good 4 quarter performances

And a vote for Charlie. Best game in a while

Charlie had a game that you can take a bundle of snippets from to show the group on Monday. Should be proud of that effort and how he is carrying himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH, I'm rather puzzled at some of commentary here about how we won that

Some seem almost embarrassed that we "pinched" a win.

Weird.

We were clearly the better side apart from that big run on they got in the second quarter when they had all the momentum, seemed to get every 50/50 bounce of the ball and shot the lights out with their goalkicking. We could have done a "Port", completely turned our toes up and found ourselves out of the game by half time.

We didn't.

We chipped away in the third quarter and looked liked we had wrested some degree of control in the midfield.

15 down at the last change meant that if we were good enough we could still win.

From my perspective at the game, i thought we totally dominated them in the last quarter and had we not utterly butchered goal scoring chances, we could have put the game to bed well before those frantic last few minutes.

The fact that Berry, Kai and Hugh stepped up in the clutch moments and nailed their goals is not a matter of luck

To me it demonstrated a level of maturity and composure, when it looked for all money that we might have thrown away a game that we badly needed to win.

I reckon it was one of the more stirring wins I've seen

HOW GOOD WAS BRUUUUUUUUCE IN THE LASt!?
9 possessions (half his game total). 8 score involvements for the game overall, good for equal 3rd with Lester behind Hipwood & Dunkley. He also doubled his usual contested possessions output with 7.

Looked to be playing mainly as a high half forward in the last, with Berry & Fletcher as the primary wingers.

I thought we used our sub well today. Morris was struggling against Melbourne's very good (best in the AFL?) tall defender set up. Took him off and replaced him with Fletcher who had some important touches.

Yes, I liked it pre-game and thought it worked well with how the game was trending. Wasn't a night for young Logan tonight with the Dees defence and the way we were moving the ball further up the field.

If I was going to describe Joe to someone who hadn't seen him play before, I'd probably show that goal he kicked off the ground.

Bailey? Not sure if the right thread.

Couple of years ago I would have said going to be one of the most valuable players in the league. Now? Game seems to be passing him by.

Hopefully becomes relevant again real soon.
Ridiculous take, down on form compared to previous years but still a massive part of our season and future.

Has missed a few games but was very good against Port and played well against Bulldogs.

Back