Review Round 16, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher (sub)

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [38] Bruce Reville

• [41] Darragh Joyce

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was going to describe Joe to someone who hadn't seen him play before, I'd probably show that goal he kicked off the ground.

Only Joe can make the simple look like a total stuff up, only to redeem it with a stroke of genius

Last edited:
He’s 6’2” and 90 kegs…I see him a as an intercepting 3rd KPD…with Andrews, Payne, Lester, Gardiner and Joyce it’s hardly a catastrophe…I mean you never say no to more depth but lets not get dramatic

He’s the same size as starce coming over another Acl

Lester is playing great football although how long will it last? Gardiner is most likely retiring after this major injury and Joyce should stick to the reserves

Realistically Payne and Andrew’s are our main KPD in the 1 on 1 sense, we have some good intercept players you’re not wrong although without Payne/Andrew’s the Curnows of the world are even more of a scary proposition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to come in as a kpd and irishman.

In my opinion that game from Joyce though was as bad as i’ve seen from any player this year. Cost us 3-4 goals.

Very difficult circumstances. First game in the seniors since rd 6 last year, Melbourne playing well, high pressure, our mids not playing well in the first half, trash ball movement from us. I thought once we stablised he looked ok, but would prefer Payne who I think is more suited to that role. Joyce would better suit the Lester role.

TBH his skill errors which led to Dees goals were very reminiscent of what we see from Payne.

Last edited:

Ridiculous take, down on form compared to previous years but still a massive part of our season and future.

Has missed a few games but was very good against Port and played well against Bulldogs.

No matter whether the team wins draws or loses, there is always a whipping boy.

Recency bias is the key ingredient for Whipping Boy Syndrome

EDIT: His two brilliant goals in last years GF aren't worth a pinch of poop when applying WBS

Fagan usually gets a knock on his game day changes. Tonight, he got that right.
Dropping the Viney tag and Ashcroft move to more midfield time.
Then using the sub early in the 3rd to get more run on the field.
Young Morris just struggled tonight but that happens with key forwards that are only 19 years old.
I think he plays next week v Eagles.
See how he goes and that determines if they manage him v Swans the following week

We just looked much better tonight after those changes.
I thought we looked a lot better once Fletch came on. Added run but Logan wasn’t near it tonight either. I don’t envy the coaches trying to figure out who the sub should be when both Bruce and Fletch were pretty handy tonight.

Reckon we may have learnt what it takes to win a premiership tonight.

By all means play an attacking game that may result in you getting burned on turnover, but when it is your turn to defend you do it like your life depends on it. Think we saw that on numerous occasions in the last quarter.
I got that feeling too ripper. They properly fought tooth and nail through their nerves to get that win

I hope Harris was micd up. Was verbally assaulting Fritsch all night. Release the audio you cowards.

Last edited:
Hard to come in as a kpd and irishman.

In my opinion that game from Joyce though was as bad as i’ve seen from any player this year. Cost us 3-4 goals.
McKenna was just as bad. Commentators called it, saying he was directly responsible for back to back Melbourne goals in the second because of loose checking and not defending his man. He could also be the worst tackler in our team. He was terrible in ground contests.

Sitting up in the stands with my mates and family where we have sat for 22 years it was an ugly game to watch however I thought things were changing in the last Qtr, I looked at the clock and only 7.70 had been played and I said to our group we were coming, our midfield just seemed to be on top then.

We won, nothing more to say, put the points on the tally and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we looked a lot better once Fletch came on. Added run but Logan wasn’t near it tonight either. I don’t envy the coaches trying to figure out who the sub should be when both Bruce and Fletch were pretty handy tonight.
I think Logan gets a rest next week.

What is with Gawn and Pickett when they play against us?
Kysaiah Pickett/Bobby Hill... NOOOOO!

I wonder if Darcy Wilmot would be worth a crack at those speedy nimble types, I was sure I saw Wilmot on Picket for a little bit early last night but he was then taken off for Starc.

To be fair some of those Pickett goals would have been nigh on impossible to stop no matter who was on him, he is a hell of a player when on song.

How could you not love our Joe , you never know what ya gonna get 😂

Classic spent it before he earnt it moment. Love his grin at the end.

Talk of jarrod brennan before made me think of joe. Jarrod was more frustration than brilliance while Joe is the opposite ratio but both delivered heart stopping moments regularly.

Shoutout to the Gabba guy that wanded me on the way in and pinged my belt under my jumper and treated me like I had a suicide vest strapped on underneath.

Shoutout to the Gabba guy that wanded me on the way in and pinged my belt under my jumper and treated me like I had a suicide vest strapped on underneath.
We must’ve had the same guy. Buckle on my shorts kept pinging. “Can you just lift your jumper up please” repeatedly.

How about I do you a favour mate, if you ask nicely I’ll take it all off for you.

Far out. Deadset.

A win in the end and that's all that matters. We were inaccurate, we fumbled, we tried to rush things, lost some midfield focus. Some had shockers, some tried their guts out. But in the end we fought back, changed momentum and won.

It's easy to pick apart players and sound like a wise prophet while doing it. Whipping boys become emotional scapegoats. So last night wasn't 100% perfect. Some players got beat by other good players at times. That's football. I get the knocks on players, I do. I'd love to stop seeing Bailey drop off tackles, I'd love to see McKenna be in better touch. It would be great to get a faultless game from the 3rd string tall defender filling in. Good players like Bailey n Mckenna will repay the faith. Joyce will learn, I didn't think he was horrible. Busted his butt to chase down n make up for his errors.

There was good. Ashcroft unscathed, Charlie slotted a cpl, the midfield responded to a kick up the clacker, and Bruuuce's kicking and delivery is a joy to watch.

Picket got away on us. We have a problem with the small, quick fwd kicking a bag on us. We really don't have anyone that can lock down the zippy ones. Starce n Mckenna just aren't built for them, Zorko has/had the zip but lacks hb experience. Wilmot has what's needed I think, pace, can tackle etc but he seems to be used in other ways. Is this something Brain is suited too? A tagging, lock down role on a sm fast fwd? We could use one. Would be a tough job that's for sure.

Anyway, onto the next game. Got a bit of a dirty one out of the system, back to some better footy next week.

Back