Prediction Round 16, 2024: Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to ask Simmo what he thinks of Trew. I just dont see Trew in Simmos plans at all. Grudgingly plays him when we are desperate and even then, doesnt put him in the midfield.

I asked Mark Duffield on X to put it to Gavin Bell during his fortnightly segment on SEN which he duly did.

Bell’s response was a bit of a word salad that mentioned Trew had “had some good games and some quiet games at WAFL” and that “Simmo would have no hesitation in picking him if an opportunity arose”. We know for a fact that the latter is a lie because there have been opportunities to pick him as an inside mid but the MC has opted to go with a makeshift midfield.

It seems that 18 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal in that Beagles side is Trew’s “quietest” game so far this year. Harsh taskmaster Belly is if that’s the case.

I think he’s simply been discarded in the delist pile without ever having an opportunity to show if the stats below could be replicated at the next level. They probably wouldn’t but who bloody knows.

IMG_1185.png

Hutchinson confirmed as the other out with Petruccelle to make way for Reid and Kelly

Edwards and Gaff join Hutchinson as emergencies

Hawthorn making just the one change with Morrison coming in for Breust meaning no Finn Maginness coming in to tag Harley

Yeo playing likely to be a match day decision

Doubt we're tagging anyone after seeing the changes.

I am expecting West Coast to win this game and by a considerable margin.

Hawthorn haven't won outside of Vic/Tas for 27 months.

This match also happens to be the first time Hawthorn has played away against West Coast since the 2020 Covid bubble.
The Jarrod Brander game (did one clean thing in the rain as a late in, and I thought it meant things were clicking).

No doubt S.Mitchell also saw the impact Windhager's tag had in turning the match against St Kilda.

What I want to see at the opening bounce on Sunday, is to have multiple players come in and FLATTEN F.Maginness.

Send a statement out to the rest of the competition that the club isn't just going to sit back and accept scabs tagging a first year player.

Problem is nowadays it is an instant free kick (even within 5m of the ball) and likely a suspension.

No player is risking suspension to help break a tag.

But…. As much as physicality has been taken out of the game, there are other things that we can do to assist. #1 is line up a team-mate right behind the player being tagged (where the tagger would normally be). Be on the move at the stoppage (one left one right kind of system) and it makes tagging very difficult.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Jarrod Brander game (did one clean thing in the rain as a late in, and I thought it meant things were clicking).

Brander already our best ex-player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People saying we'll win... comfortably.... do you ever learn?

Have you watched Hawthorn the past month or so?

We should hopefully put in a better showing with the team selected but the past 2-3 years whenever we've selected a "decent" side on paper we rock up flat and disinterested.

There's a reason Hawks are $1.50 favs but hopefully we can cause an upset.

It "SHOULD" be a ripper contest, especially in the guts

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

We should hopefully put in a better showing with the team selected but the past 2-3 years whenever we've selected a "decent" side on paper we rock up flat and disinterested.

Simpson has already called it by saying something like “doesn’t matter what the team looks like on paper but it’s what they do on the ground that counts.”

His comment is true of course, but has something of a negative, defeatist ring about it to me. It is already giving a commentary as to why we lost before the game has even been played and giving the players an out for losing. I can understand that he doesn’t want to raise expectations given the last three years but surely there must be a more nuanced comment than the one he gives.

Anyway I still see this as a ‘winnable’ game and are approaching it with hope that we possibly can and even should win. Hawthorn certainly don’t look like a team of world beaters on paper although their recent form has been good, and as has been pointed out above they don’t win outside Victoria although they murdered us in Tasmania last year.

Last edited:
Simpson has already called it by saying something like “doesn’t matter what the team looks like on paper but it’s what they do on the ground that counts.”

His comment is true of course, but has something of a negative, defeatist ring about it to me. It is already giving a commentary as to why we lost before the game has even been played and giving the players an out for losing. I can understand that he doesn’t want to raise expectations given the last three years but surely there must be a more nuanced comment than the one he gives.

Anyway I still see this as a ‘winnable’ game and are approaching it with hope that we possibly can and even should win. Hawthorn certainly don’t look like a team of world beaters on paper although their recent form has been good, and as been pointed out above they don’t win outside Victoria although they murdered us in Tasmania last year.
I'm not confident of a win.
How could you be?
But I agree it's a winnable game.

The people who reckon we will win comfortably are the same ones who said we will beat North and the Saints easily.

From where we sit, there's no such thing as an easy win.

Yep, given our see-sawing record, am not game to get expectations raised before any match now. Coach seemed to hose down expectations by saying some of these players haven't played together before or for awhile re synergy.
Just pleased to finally see nearly our best side out there and Harley playing again with no Sheed+Gaff.

am I missing something here

he grabbed a ball already in the air and booted it long
It was pissing rain and he moved like someone who could actually move at his height, was a pretty clean sequence at full tilt for a big guy allegedly being pushed onto the wing.

Shame is it was probably the high point of his career.

I'm not confident of a win.
How could you be?
But I agree it's a winnable game.

The people who reckon we will win comfortably are the same ones who said we will beat North and the Saints easily.

From where we sit, there's no such thing as an easy win.
Yes I agree with you. We can’t be confident about any game.

There is no such thing as an easy win for us. We are not even certain of beating NM.

SK and NM were winnable games and the results were at least close. There were reasons why we lost these games. In the St Kilda game Lyon got one over Simpson by tagging Reid out of the game and in the NM game we had no Reid and Kelly which is half the midfield so we were badly weakened in the most critical area of the ground.

Hope we come to play tomorrow and get the ‘w’.

His comment is true of course, but has something of a negative, defeatist ring about it to me.
Sounds like downplaying expectation to me, I dont see it as any way defeatist. We are still vsing a team with significantly better form coming in, and we have a few guys who havent played together.
0 benefit to trying to hype up our chances

I asked Mark Duffield on X to put it to Gavin Bell during his fortnightly segment on SEN which he duly did.

Bell’s response was a bit of a word salad that mentioned Trew had “had some good games and some quiet games at WAFL” and that “Simmo would have no hesitation in picking him if an opportunity arose”. We know for a fact that the latter is a lie because there have been opportunities to pick him as an inside mid but the MC has opted to go with a makeshift midfield.

It seems that 18 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal in that Beagles side is Trew’s “quietest” game so far this year. Harsh taskmaster Belly is if that’s the case.

I think he’s simply been discarded in the delist pile without ever having an opportunity to show if the stats below could be replicated at the next level. They probably wouldn’t but who bloody knows.

View attachment 2033053

Very weak answer from Bell if that’s what he said. Surely you make sure the bloke has had quiet games before you try and claim that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back