Prediction Round 15, 2024: Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The positives I see in these selections:
Allen back
Maric playing further up the ground
Chesser and Brockman CBAs

Honestly would love to see BWilliams as the sub and come in when Flynn is cooked or if Darling has less than 5 touches to half time. Bailey could do with the extra rest as well as team balance.

It’s semantics but we’ve picked 4 mids - Yeo, Ginbey, Chesser and Hunt

Reid, Kelly and Hewett all injured (+Sheed)

LEdwards available but coming off a concussion and no game time in a month

Hall working through a hand injury as a first year player

Trew punched the midfield coach’s son in the guts

Could’ve played Gaff to make it 5 if made people feel better (Narrator: It wouldn’t)

Johnston behind Chesser and Hunt as a winger

But let’s blow up about only 3 mids
Surely trews action have nothing to do with his non selection?

This week, 100%.

Going forward, we'll see. Waterman was kicking bags earlier this season still covering 14-15km, so it can work when it clicks.
So far in their careers waterman’s peak has been higher than Allen’s peak. It’s an interesting situation.

Having only 3 midfielders in the team this week is completely f***ing ridiculous. Whether it's because our match committee genuinely believe they picked our best team or we have no midfield options left on the list worth picking due to piss-poor list management, it's still f***ing ridiculous.

What also worries me is the whole "he doesn't have the tank yet for AFL", which though I don't doubt, just give a kid a try in the side for f*cks sake.

Though this game against Essendon is far from unwinnable I'd still like for the MC to be honest about where we are. The club has served up some colossal shit sandwiches the past month or so and I would just like to see some fresh thinking or some risk taking to keep me interested.

The midfield is thin and shit and we have zero depth, but Culley? I don't know.

On exposed form I can't see him making it at the level. Doesn't seem to be able to produce as an inside mid and is too slow for the quality outside stuff he does in the 2s.

Disappointing I think, even allowing for the knee.

On exposed form I can't see him making it at the level. Doesn't seem to be able to produce as an inside mid and is too slow for the quality outside stuff he does in the 2s.

In fairness to Culley, the position he's demonstrated the most comfort in, we're stacked in. It would be nice to give him a run at HFF just to build his confidence though. I don't see how Jones is part of our future at this point whereas Culley is still largely unknown, having played only 11 games.

What also worries me is the whole "he doesn't have the tank yet for AFL", which though I don't doubt, just give a kid a try in the side for f*cks sake.

Though this game against Essendon is far from unwinnable I'd still like for the MC to be honest about where we are. The club has served up some colossal shit sandwiches the past month or so and I would just like to see some fresh thinking or some risk taking to keep me interested.
Agree, if there was ever a season to take a risk and give some of these fringe guys a proper go it's this one.
At least we don't have to watch Gaff and Sheed trudge around the field on Sunday I suppose.

Who's actually blowing up about the non-inclusion of Culley though? I think it is an odd (read poor) choice not to play him in lieu of another tall, but overall I'm happy with the changes.

The positives I see in this selection -
Allen back
Brockman back
JJ in (and on a wing :rolleyes:)
Maric in
Chesser in
BBW is in
Sheed and Gaff out
Waterman is not the sub :rolleyes:
Hutch probably is the sub
Arguably JJ, Yeo, Hunt, Ginbey, Chesser and Petrol are mids with maybe Ryan and Brockman folded through the guts at times for spark.
Culley, Trew and Ledwards aren't the saviours and are a bit one dimensional and lack pace. Hall is untested and an unknown quantity as yet.
The forward line looks hot. A couple of pros in Ryan+Cripps. Oscar and Jake. Darling and Maric, what's not to like? Brockman will run through there. Hutch might get a shot.
Is height and pace really an issue?
Win or not, these are the cards we have.

Last edited:

Especially since D’Ambrosio is becoming a gun (and is what we need despite ironically us shitting ourselves at the time that we’d draft a HBF over a beast inside mid)

In fairness to Culley, the position he's demonstrated the most comfort in, we're stacked in. It would be nice to give him a run at HFF just to build his confidence though. I don't see how Jones is part of our future at this point whereas Culley is still largely unknown, having played only 11 games.
I dont think JJ and Culley are fighting for the same spot.

Idk who it would be, probably Maric or Darling who Culley would have to come in for, and Culley is 194cm so we arent gaining anything in terms of reducing height or adding speed by doing that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far in their careers waterman’s peak has been higher than Allen’s peak. It’s an interesting situation.
The only real crack he’s had at being a focal point, Allen kicked 53 goals in 23 games for one of the worst sides in history this year.

Waterman on pace for 63 in an improved version of that team. Certainly a good problem to have, if Waterman can keep this up we’re onto a winner.

I dont quite get all the melts over Culley not getting a game. Hes both slow AND tall, we need speed and less height if anything. I understand hes a mid rotation, but we have half forwards and other quicker players who can rotate in there.

We have Ginbey and Yeo as big bodied mids who are both more suited to the modern game, and if we played Culley forward then thats just another guy who is 3-4cm taller than Darling or Hutchinson while bringing nothing extra in terms of athleticism or ground ball.

Waterman, Allen and bbw should be our 3 big guys currently imo. Bbw ahead of j.williams purely to see if he has a future at the club. J.williams will be a good player his spot will come when darling hits the road he can just build in the wafl till then.Chesser deserves an opportunity as an inside mid this would free up a wing for either brockman to add some class and pace or give burgiel or hall a chance. I'd rather see Dewar get games ahead of hutch. Obv the match committee want Ryan in the mid cba and view hutch as his fwd replacement as he's pretty nimble for his height. Rotham will get mounted by any of the big essondon talls, I can't get my head around dropping Harry. Harry and Tb playing as key backs with gov the intercept Def works well not sure why you'd change that especially given continuity is something Harry needs. Not a great look for culley, seems to be on his way to the scrap heap with trew. Happy to have maric on the bench as a utility (not as a sub ffs). Petrol is fwd flank only, no cba. Petrol is horrible as a mid, would rather see hj get another chance if he's not on the fwd flank.

Let's face it we really aren't gonna win many more games so let's stop playing favourites (darling, sheed,gaff) and players possibly getting delisted at years end(jj,rotham, trew etc) and get games into the young kids and throw the magnets around

Simpsons post match presser is up:

• Pleased with the effort, efforts there
  • Thought we fought back (got out the blocks) well but disappointed (to give away such a bad start) late goals blew out the margin
  • Didn't see any footage of the incident so couldn't comment
  • Thought Oscar will be better for the run
  • Synergy is building
  • Looking forward to getting Harley back

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
You funny kent

With our lack of mids selected, it wouldn’t surprise me to see either the MC pull a surprise like GWS did with Bedford last week and use a tagger to limit Merretts influence. JJones or Petch as potential options who are quick and low to the ground.

It’s definitely a position that is back in vogue, competition wide, and although Ginbey for now is probably the one who is most suited, he will be required to do some heavy lifting inside without Reid and TK.

I think if we are any chance, we have to limit Merretts influence and then Yeoy to have a massive game head to head with Durham.

Regardless, not going in with too much expectation, but hoping we come with more effort than we have to previous away trips this year.

We finished last year playing good footy at marvel against Essendon and the dogs, so hopefully can do the same starting Sunday.

Who's actually blowing up about the non-inclusion of Culley though? I think it is an odd (read poor) choice not to play him in lieu of another tall, but overall I'm happy with the changes.
The issue for me is you drop a young player after one poor performance 12 months after a long term injury whilst backing in an older more experienced Dom sheed after several poor performances following a similarly long layoff.

To make matters worse Culley had forced his way into the team to begin with while Dom hadn't earned his spot back

Picking that many tall forwards to me shows Simpson is piss weak
doesn't have the guts to drop one of them when clearly he needs to for team balance
it's not like we're flying & so stacked that they'd all be unlucky to miss out
this mindset is somewhat to blame for our efforts over the last 3 years
time to go Simmo

Picking that many tall forwards to me shows Simpson is piss weak
doesn't have the guts to drop one of them when clearly he needs to for team balance
it's not like we're flying & so stacked that they'd all be unlucky to miss out
this mindset is somewhat to blame for our efforts over the last 3 years
time to go Simmo

Damn straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back