Preview Round 16: Essendon v Geelong - MCG - Country Game Apparently - Saturday 29th June - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I just saw that Dangerfield is free to play. Throw the whole thing away seriously. On one hand they talk about trying to protect the player's head given the significance of head-related injuries and when the suspensions do come, they can just go to the tribunal and get off. On one occasion it's the result not just the action, on another random occasion, the results dictates the punishment. The whole thing is a confusing mess.

Nothing surer than danger getting off and then coming out against us Saturday and dominating
Shouldn’t influence the result IMO. Geelong’s midfield is complete trash even with Dangerfield in it.

What’ll make us lose the game is if we keep kicking it to Stewart and keep kicking behinds like we did vs Carlton.

I was initially disappointed by our pressure on the weekend as it seemed way off from our best (eg parts of Anzac Day)

Looking at the game again it seems like the lower pressure may have resulted from the coaching staff’s efforts to reignite the forward line by opening up the ground. I wasn’t at the game but it seems like forwards were often deep and the press wasn’t as full on as previously. Can anyone confirm that? Certainly seemed easier to find an isolated target than in the last couple of weeks.

Guess it’s hard to find the perfect balance between manic pressure when they have the ball, and acres of space when we have it

I was initially disappointed by our pressure on the weekend as it seemed way off from our best (eg parts of Anzac Day)

Looking at the game again it seems like the lower pressure may have resulted from the coaching staff’s efforts to reignite the forward line by opening up the ground. I wasn’t at the game but it seems like forwards were often deep and the press wasn’t as full on as previously. Can anyone confirm that? Certainly seemed easier to find an isolated target than in the last couple of weeks.

Guess it’s hard to find the perfect balance between manic pressure when they have the ball, and acres of space when we have it
That last paragraph is Sydney to a tee 😕

It seems we change our one wood every few weeks, can't tell if it's intentional or based on personell selected.
Early in season our main weapon was stoppage work, then it seemed to be forward press, for a couple of games it was pressure across the ground and now it seems to be score launches from defensive intercepts.

I just saw that Dangerfield is free to play. Throw the whole thing away seriously. On one hand they talk about trying to protect the player's head given the significance of head-related injuries and when the suspensions do come, they can just go to the tribunal and get off. On one occasion it's the result not just the action, on another random occasion, the results dictates the punishment. The whole thing is a confusing mess.
But but but but… he’s an absolute champion superstar of our game.. ****ing joke he got off

It seems we change our one wood every few weeks, can't tell if it's intentional or based on personell selected.
Early in season our main weapon was stoppage work, then it seemed to be forward press, for a couple of games it was pressure across the ground and now it seems to be score launches from defensive intercepts.

Some of that comes from injuries and needing cover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger always seems to wind back the clock and turn in a vintage performance against us. Going to need a serious lift from Duz, Jye and Zerrett if we're to be a chance. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Setters (or even Shiel) just to add some inside-mid grunt to our rotations.

All my Geelong mates think we’ll smash them. I’m too scarred by the past to agree. Have a feeling they’ll lift a notch or 2 for this one. Need to put work into Stewart (Guelfi), Miers (I’d use Hind), Cameron (McKay deep and Ridley up the ground), Stengel (McGrath) and Holmes (I’d use Perkins). Get on top of those 5 and they are lacking match-winners.
Yeah any idea of smashing is dumb af

They have quality all over the park. Their recent form just makes it an even-ish bet

Such an important game

No Way What GIF by Bounce

EFC lawyers reading the Danger verdict after multiple weeks of advising the EFC that our cases were unwinnable.

Dangerfield verdict is fine. It's all the bullshit suspensions that have preceded it.

Scott: "(Draper's) pulled up better than he has in my time here, so he's in good shape"

Wonder how Cox is feeling. Could be Gresham for Cox and no other changes. Hind can cover the wing for rotation if need be.

Would also like to see Setterfield for Heppell but that won't happen. Still think there's only one spot between Kelly and Heppell.

Dangerfield verdict is fine. It's all the bullshit suspensions that have preceded it.

Scott: "(Draper's) pulled up better than he has in my time here, so he's in good shape"

Wonder how Cox is feeling. Could be Gresham for Cox and no other changes. Hind can cover the wing for rotation if need be.

Would also like to see Setterfield for Heppell but that won't happen. Still think there's only one spot between Kelly and Heppell.
Considering it's his 250th, definitely not

AFL tribunal has a Geelong bias problem.

Danger always seems to wind back the clock and turn in a vintage performance against us. Going to need a serious lift from Duz, Jye and Zerrett if we're to be a chance. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Setters (or even Shiel) just to add some inside-mid grunt to our rotations.

I keep reading that Geelong's midfield has lost a bit of muscle, and is uncharacteristically getting pushed off the ball this season. I'd pick Setters but if he's one step away from getting injured maybe Shiel.

Setterfields mobility worries me. He is still good at winning the contested footy but looked really slow in the carlton game and some reviews of the VFL game seem to suggest it was the same on Saturday.
If we wanted more mid depth I would bring in Hobbs or Shiel in over Setters.

It’s an interesting one - all of our midfielders are actually playing well… yet we haven’t been too crash hot in the clearances overall.

I’d really like to see us dominate Geelong’s midfield. Dangerfield’s still got that burst away from a pack in him, and I love Holmes. But it basically ends there.

Geelong have bullied us with size in the past. If I were them, I’d be tempted to bring in another ruck and play Blicavs around the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back