Preview Round 16: Essendon v Geelong - MCG - Country Game Apparently - Saturday 29th June - 7:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

clearances is a bigger issue for me. the below is pretty alarming against west coast....

I can't remember where west coast scored their goals from but i thought many were from clearances and NOT from transition. Could be wrong though.

View attachment 2029610
They scored 8 goals from turnover to 3QT.

All my Geelong mates think we’ll smash them. I’m too scarred by the past to agree. Have a feeling they’ll lift a notch or 2 for this one. Need to put work into Stewart (Guelfi), Miers (I’d use Hind), Cameron (McKay deep and Ridley up the ground), Stengel (McGrath) and Holmes (I’d use Perkins). Get on top of those 5 and they are lacking match-winners.

If paddy don’t play then yes I think bombers in w a chance. Jezza still is the everywhere player and a few others. So there are some strengths for cat’s going in but Ess needs to keep winning regardless of opposition for building confidence and experience under new and improved system, structure etc. If not for this year but for next and beyond. However if Ess wants a shot at a final or 2 this season then this is the perfect opp. It’s all high pressure games now. I’d see all these games as a finals simulations tbh.
We also need parish back. Just my 2c.

Yeah so I doubt there were more than 3 or 4 goals from stoppage from them given that.
from memory this stat was up on the fox footy broadcast late in third or early in first and we had kicked 4 or 5 goals to 1 or 2 from stoppages but Eagles had also kicked a lot of behinds from stoppages vs us being incredibly accurate.

Personally the raw clearance numbers concern me if we are still winning contested possessions/loose ball/ground ball, we've seen teams like tigers give up the clearance battle but still win the overall contested battle in the past.

My concern over last month though has been that we've given up a lot of centre clearances where they opposition player has exiting out the front, Noah Anderson did this a lot in suns game despite us winning overall clearances numbers and Liam Ryan did it a fair bit on Sunday. Our set up is too aggressive, I suspect its mainly when Perkins and Stringer are in the middle.

clearances is a bigger issue for me. the below is pretty alarming against west coast....

I can't remember where west coast scored their goals from but i thought many were from clearances and NOT from transition. Could be wrong though.

View attachment 2029610
Richmond won 3 flags without ever winning a clearance. If you can defend as a team you can negate most other areas. As Eth mentioned they scored more than 3/4 of their goals from our turnovers so the clearance was not really a big factor.
Could use some improvement as it has dropped off from early in the year but I still think we need to get the team defense in order and then go from there.

Last edited:
Richmond won 3 flags without ever winning a clearance. If you can defend as a team you can negate most other areas. As Eth mentioned they scored more than 3/4 of their goals from our turnovers so the clearance was not really a big factor.
Could use some improvement as it has dropped off from early in the year but I still think we need to get the team defense in order and then go from there.
Whilst I agree with clearances not being everything (I mentioned tigers in my post above too) but I just checked the match stats on Wheelio to confirm I wasnt imaging the stoppage score stats in my posted and they kicked 5.10 from stoppages vs our 8.1, (they scored 8.3 from turnovers).

So I think HirdIsTheWord has a legitimate concern about the clearance work on the weekend, we were just lucky they sprayed a lot of shots.
One that comes to mind is Ryan streaming into 50 from a centre bounce and shanking it, I think Zach was on him and ran forward as perkins got first touch but then Gibney intercepted and got it to Ryan.
Early in the year we were ranked in top 2 or 3 for stopping a clearance after opposition gets first touch, but I wouldnt be surprised if this has really dropped off recently, probably coincides with Parish/Hobbs/Duursma being out.

Whilst I agree with clearances not being everything (I mentioned tigers in my post above too) but I just checked the match stats on Wheelio to confirm I wasnt imaging the stoppage score stats in my posted and they kicked 5.10 from stoppages vs our 8.1, (they scored 8.3 from turnovers).

So I think HirdIsTheWord has a legitimate concern about the clearance work on the weekend, we were just lucky they sprayed a lot of shots.
One that comes to mind is Ryan streaming into 50 from a centre bounce and shanking it, I think Zach was on him and ran forward as perkins got first touch but then Gibney intercepted and got it to Ryan.
Early in the year we were ranked in top 2 or 3 for stopping a clearance after opposition gets first touch, but I wouldnt be surprised if this has really dropped off recently, probably coincides with Parish/Hobbs/Duursma being out.
Never said clearance was not a concern that is why I said it could use some improvement.
All I am saying is you have to start somewhere and fixing the dodgy defense we have had for 20 years is priority one . Get the team defense set and you can build from there.

At the end of the day based on Wheelo we had 31 shots to their 25 so we generated a few shots that did not score. Unlike the Carlton game where we had 27 shots to 25 and lost or the GC game where we had 28 shots to 22 and lost. There where some easy misses from us in the second quarter when we where on top as well.

As you say personal can have an effect. Perkins not being as effective is not helping either and Goldy having a slightly downward spiral has not been ideal either.

Against the blues we lost clearance 39-33 but scores from stoppage where Carlton 6.4 to Ess 5.7 with 2.2 a piece from center clearance. The GC game was 30 to 28 clearance our way but stoppage was GC 2.0 to Ess 1.5 and CB goals GC 2.0 to Ess 0.2.
I think some of the issues with scoring from stoppage this week was to do with us not defending the ground as well as we have in the past . There was obviously the issue at center bounce where we allowed them out the front too often as well .We need to be better there.

Last edited:
The turnovers were bad, like giving the ball directly to the oppo for a fast break. Clearance goals we kicked more than wce but believe they had more shots on goal from stoppage
Stoppage WC 5.10 Ess 10.1
CB WC 3.5 Ess 3.0

Last time we played them
Stoppage WC 6.3 Ess 3.5
CB WC 3.1 Ess 0.1.

Would seem we do not match up with their set up all that well.

Last edited:
The turnovers were bad, like giving the ball directly to the oppo for a fast break. Clearance goals we kicked more than wce but believe they had more shots on goal from stoppage
The McGrath one where we were streaming forward and he kicked it straight to a West coast player and they went down and scored was a momentum killer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well, Geelong have owned us having won the last 16 out of 18 games between the two sides so it's about time we stood up to them and get a vital win. no Hawkins helps big time because he always seems to monster us. hoping Dangerfield does not play which will also help in a big way. their form is pathetic right now and as I said it's well overdue for us to get a victory....!!!

Considering jones suspension this is actually outrageous, the tribunal have undone all of the afls work with the dangerous tackle up till now. Feel free to wrap up a players arms so he cant defend himself and slam him to the ground. The bigger the name the better the treatment, really hope the afl appeal this

**** boys if we are worried about 34 year old Dangerfield then we should just pack it in.

im glad he got off. just the inconsistency week to week is broken as

1FCDCFF7-F71C-4A93-BE9A-62C1F2C5F5DB.jpeg Considering jones suspension this is actually outrageous, the tribunal have undone all of the afls work with the dangerous tackle up till now. Feel free to wrap up a players arms so he cant defend himself and slam him to the ground. The bigger the name the better the treatment, really hope the afl appeal this
Have you seen the reasoning? Basically this will be one of the only rare cases where they’ll accept both arms pinned and the head hitting the ground NOT being rough conduct. They’ve made an exception.

**** boys if we are worried about 34 year old Dangerfield then we should just pack it in.

im glad he got off. just the inconsistency week to week is broken as
I dont think anyones worried about him, its the bullshit that everyone else cops a week and the big name gets away with it, the reasons the tribunal gave for letting him off are the exact reason he should have been suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

Back