Round 16 Sydney VS Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I have just read this thread and from many opinions one would be under the impression we had won.I realise we were playing youngsters to see where they are at but it's a bit concerning when you look at the age of our opposition who were younger than us.
Ratten was pleased with his side as they had 700 less game experience than us and their players averaged two and a half years younger than ours.
They have some high draft picks going around.We haven't had one for years (except DOK)!! It definately shows.

Interesting game. Even when we were up at half time, I was still confident they would run over us... and they did.

No need for panic stations though. Plenty of positives to take out of the match.

Smith was great around half back. Turning into a pretty good footballer, reminds me of Kirk moreso than Jack (commentators comparison).

Jack was creative too, impressed.

Barlow probably had his best game for us. If he can continue those bullet like passes, he'll be fine.

Bird was alright. Hannes was quiet, but didn't look out of place at AFL level.

And White... He still has a lot of work to do, especially in contested over-head marks, but today was a big step forward. Should do his confidence the world of good.

Ryan O'Keefe should have received the 3 votes for the Brownlow. What is he paying anyway? 33 touches, 9 marks, 14 tackles 2 goals. Amazing.

I don't. It's given me confidence that we can fight through the the next stage of our club. Every Swans fan should be happy for the reasons why you wrote the above about the younger players. I felt empty after last week, this week I saw some foundations for our future team take a step in the right direction.

I definitely felt the same at half time - I've been thinking we overrate our kids a bit (I suppose everyone does), but suddenly I was watching and thinking maybe we can be contending again a bit sooner than I thought.....then the 4th quarter happened.

I have just read this thread and from many opinions one would be under the impression we had won.I realise we were playing youngsters to see where they are at but it's a bit concerning when you look at the age of our opposition who were younger than us.
Ratten was pleased with his side as they had 700 less game experience than us and their players averaged two and a half years younger than ours.
They have some high draft picks going around.We haven't had one for years (except DOK)!! It definately shows.

Don't look at age if your going to look at age you shud also include experince. Those boys have been playing footy together for a while and getting bottom of the ladder results and have way more game time where as we are coming off an elimination finals loss from last year with kids withike a years experince between them.. And we nearly beat them the scoreline at 1/2 time flattered them but it's the fact we put ourselves in the opportunity to be ahead of them that makes alot of people on the board happy..

Yes no one will be happy from a loss but I sure as hell can take consolidation that our yougens stood up and had the guts and courage to play Aussie rules! Remember Gibbs ducking out of a contest? Our boys would never do and hell Hanners owner murphy and jack showed more courage than Gibbs in his whole career so yes I am quite happy that our youngens are not only playing with class... But heart.

Can anyone fill me in on what happened with Bolton? I can't recall seeing anything at the ground.
I assume you mean the Feve incident. Both at full speed, Fev took a mark, Bolton right behind him, both fell to ground. Bolton sort of went face first and Fev's momentum swung him around and his boot swung into the back of Boltons head. Bolton struggled for 2 mins but he was fine.

In regards to my response to the loss, I never said I was happy. I'm just saying it wasn't an empty feeling after the match. No one likes to get smashed in the last quarter but I am excited at watching the younger players develop. Sport has cycles/eras and we are starting a new one, so we can't just be all depressed when he lose from now on. It will get to a stage where we have to start winning but for the short term, I'm not going to let us losing effect my emotions. We got the premiership and had some success, so I can always just watch the dvd of that every weekend. :thumbsu:

The umpiring was shocking both ways yesterday and Murphy2Fev was just having a laugh. He's a decent poster who shows a fair bit of respect when visiting our board, unlike several others recently.

Fair enough, I'll take your word on Murphy2Fev, sorry mate. ;)

I just had a bad day yesterday at the game. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpiring was pretty ordinary, holding the ball calls in particular.

I'll admit that Judd gets very well looked after by the umpires, hes the only player we have who gets looked after..every team has em i guess.

Fev gets constantly held by defenders and he gets nothing, Murphy gets held back and taken high constantly and he gets nothing. None of that happened yesterday which was pleasing. Having said all that i dont think the bad calls had any real impact on the game.

The umpiring was pretty ordinary, holding the ball calls in particular.

I'll admit that Judd gets very well looked after by the umpires, hes the only player we have who gets looked after..every team has em i guess.

Fev gets constantly held by defenders and he gets nothing, Murphy gets held back and taken high constantly and he gets nothing. None of that happened yesterday which was pleasing. Having said all that i dont think the bad calls had any real impact on the game.

I was tearing my hair out yesterday, with the holding the ball rule, I cannot understand it. It changes interpretion from each game. :eek:

So little has been said in this thread about our disgraceful skills in all facets of the game. While praise has been heaped on a few the only 2 I can come up with who had a clean slate were Smith and White. Smith did not put a foot wrong and White, well he might have made a few mistakes if the experienced brigade had dared kick it to him.

Sure ROK had heaps of it but some of decisions on where to kick it were simply dumb at best. Trying to pinpoint kicks to players in heavy traffic is fraught with danger. He got away with it once to Ablett of all people. How many times did Goodes just slam it onto the boot for a nil result.

On the handballing, they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from half a metre with a hand full of wheat. Players were handballing to others who had Carlton player right up their clacker. Some of Bevan's work left us gobsmacked with its ineptitude.

What's with our inability to kick a goal from 50. Mind you we don't get too many shots inside 50 these days because we don't kick the bleedin' thing there.

Vespremi a lead up forward. Give me a break. Let the guy play his natural game. Let him loose to run around the forward line not the flami' wing. Any chance we might crumb a goal for a change. IIRC McVeigh used to do that sort of thing. We kicked 9 freakin' goals for the game. Somethings rotten in Denmark! Is there a rule that midfielders shalt not enter the 50 metre zone.

The clincher though was our centre clearance circus. Jolly gets the tap to no one or a Carlton player. In most cases they went right at his feet and when they didn't they went right to a Carlton player, who said thankyou very much and away we go. It looked almost as if the Carlton rucks were letting him get the hitouts. I counted 2 clean centre clearances for us for the whole game.

When we do get our hands on it it comes to nothing. The opposition sides have all worked us out in this area and we flogged every week. Does anyone else get this frustrated with this part of our game. That last Q garbage said it all. !st goal unapposed clearance for a goal in about 20 seconds. Back to the centre, bang away they go again, with our blokes standing as if to say, what the....No wonder our backline struggles as games progress.

Does anyone get peed off with the ease other sides take it away from our forward line. We just don't have midfielders running into our forward 50 as the ball hits the ground. It is a no contest and why is that the olds and bolds of the likes of Ablett and J Bolton are static when the get the ball in the clear.

And why is it we are the only side in the comp where our players don't run to space either on the wing or half forward and refuse to run forward of the ball coming into the forward line. The one time was in the 3rd Q when MOL led up and got the handpass to Vespremi who went over the top to White.

We are lauded by the media for our forward clearance strategy to kick goals. This has disappeared because we don't get it into the 20 metre danger zone. We are chipping around in traffic that is easily swept away. The opposition again is a wake up to how we play and flood the area at 30 metres when we have a mark or free on 50. ROK got that goal late in the 3rd Q because we had a throw in 20 metres out.

Blame it on the fact we have young players learning the game; bulldust, excuses, excuses; it was the experienced players who more than culpable yesterday and we continue to play an antiquated game that granted got us a flag, but it is time to move on.

We can turn our fortunes around simply by improving our skills big time and by getting new skills and development coaches who have a clue, and a new stoppages and midfield coach to boot. I am so tired of watching the same flaws in our game week in week and getting worse. Any chance of just one little tweak to our game plan next week?

Someone asked earlier what the reason was for wearing the black armbands. They were for a dear lady who passed away early in the week. This lady and her husband had a long association with the swans. He was actually a statistician for them until only a year or so ago where due to ill health they had to move to QLD. But she always loved her boys and watched them on the telly always. Carleen used to sit along side us at the footy and will be sadly missed.

Someone asked earlier what the reason was for wearing the black armbands. They were for a dear lady who passed away early in the week. This lady and her husband had a long association with the swans. He was actually a statistician for them until only a year or so ago where due to ill health they had to move to QLD. But she always loved her boys and watched them on the telly always. Carleen used to sit along side us at the footy and will be sadly missed.

my nose just got all tingley which makes my eyes water

thats so sad

Good post Nico, the one thing that stood out for me in the hanballing dept was when we ran in lines which we did pretty well, we hanballed 'down the line' so to speak they seemed to NEVER draw the player first to create space and it just increased the pressure and turnovers, its very basic football and I dont understand how at this level it happens at all!

I assume you mean the Feve incident. Both at full speed, Fev took a mark, Bolton right behind him, both fell to ground. Bolton sort of went face first and Fev's momentum swung him around and his boot swung into the back of Boltons head. Bolton struggled for 2 mins but he was fine.

In regards to my response to the loss, I never said I was happy. I'm just saying it wasn't an empty feeling after the match. No one likes to get smashed in the last quarter but I am excited at watching the younger players develop. Sport has cycles/eras and we are starting a new one, so we can't just be all depressed when he lose from now on. It will get to a stage where we have to start winning but for the short term, I'm not going to let us losing effect my emotions. We got the premiership and had some success, so I can always just watch the dvd of that every weekend. :thumbsu:

Cheers AG. I didn't notice it at all. Even when Richards went down I had no idea how much trouble he was in until I saw the replay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 16 Sydney VS Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back