Preview Round 17, 2021: Brisbane v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 10th July, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Lions

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Saints

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I do because I live in Brisbane and before I had Kayo/AFL app all the footy I could watch was Lions or Suns games.
Well in that case you haven’t seen much of Sharman but you want him to play. Seems to me he isn’t even close to ready. anyway he isn’t going to play but that doesn’t mean the club aren’t looking to the future. There is no
Perfect way to develop young players. Some play a lot early and are no good. Some improve because of playing early. Some improve but playing seconds for extended period. Some aren’t good enough whatever way you do it.

If we are going to go with an undersized defender, we will just play Highmore on one of Brisbane's talls instead of someone who isnt a defender. If we are going to bring in someone different, it should be someone who is a key defender.

Joyce or Clav might not have done much but consistent performances in the 2nds is showing more than 1 good performance in maybe 6 weeks in a completely different position on the ground. What has Battle done apart from be the current BigFooty favourite to warrant being selected in a position he doesnt play? Why does he have more to prove than players who actually play that position?
Given the way Hipwood and Daniher play, Darragh is probably the next best tall option. Not sure Clav is the right one for the job this week but I'm certain Battle isn't.

Given the way Hipwood and Daniher play, Darragh is probably the next best tall option. Not sure Clav is the right one for the job this week but I'm certain Battle isn't.
Agreed. Darragh is fairly athletic which is needed against those Brisbane forwards.

Going to be hard to stop them all, as well as their plethora of in form small forwards.

Well in that case you haven’t seen much of Sharman but you want him to play. Seems to me he isn’t even close to ready. anyway he isn’t going to play but that doesn’t mean the club aren’t looking to the future. There is no
Perfect way to develop young players. Some play a lot early and are no good. Some improve because of playing early. Some improve but playing seconds for extended period. Some aren’t good enough whatever way you do it.

I watched Sharman play both games he's played for us. Not obviously in person but on TV. Two goals in a losing side last week seemed not a bad effort. He seems to move well and create opportunity. Connolly only played 4 games of VFL before he got a call up, so why not take a punt with a kid who's played a bit of senior footy in the EFL, SANFL and VFL this year? I do agree that all players develop different but I thought in a struggling forward line against a side that on form alone will pump us there's no harm in bringing one kid in. If he was a defender that would be a different story.

I watched Sharman play both games he's played for us. Not obviously in person but on TV. Two goals in a losing side last week seemed not a bad effort. He seems to move well and create opportunity. Connolly only played 4 games of VFL before he got a call up, so why not take a punt with a kid who's played a bit of senior footy in the EFL, SANFL and VFL this year? I do agree that all players develop different but I thought in a struggling forward line against a side that on form alone will pump us there's no harm in bringing one kid in. If he was a defender that would be a different story.
He is a bit light on just like Connolly. So what's the problem with these guys learning their craft in the magoos for a year at least and do some work in the gym for starters. This is just flash in the pan stuff.

If we are going to go with an undersized defender, we will just play Highmore on one of Brisbane's talls instead of someone who isnt a defender. If we are going to bring in someone different, it should be someone who is a key defender.

Joyce or Clav might not have done much but consistent performances in the 2nds is showing more than 1 good performance in maybe 6 weeks in a completely different position on the ground. What has Battle done apart from be the current BigFooty favourite to warrant being selected in a position he doesnt play? Why does he have more to prove than players who actually play that position?

We have no other option then playing "undersized". Our defenders aren't that big compared to Brisbane forwards. Battle won a rising star nomination playing as a defender so that's a pretty clear indication of where he should be played.

We have no other option then playing "undersized". Our defenders aren't that big compared to Brisbane forwards. Battle won a rising star nomination playing as a defender so that's a pretty clear indication of where he should be played.
A rising star nomination isn't a clear indicator of anything.

Sharman is too skinny, the kid needs a big pre season in the gym.

Great to see him kick 2 goals on the weekend but I think he had 9 touches and still looks a fair way off of the big league.

Am I the only one who thinks you shouldn't base what team you select on what the other team is doing? Play to win not play to try stop them from winning.
You still need to adjust for your opponent... if they have a small forward line then you can afford to play more running defenders, if they have 3 x 200cm players then you’ll need a different set-up.

But yes, hopefully we are planning to have the ball in our hands more and kicking goals rather than defending all game.

Last edited:
I want to see Ben Long fight Mitch Robinson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be ok with us going for the undersized line up.

It just means that our mids have to be 'on' defensively so that we can work to intercept as mush as possible. What doesn't get intercepted needs to be brought to ground so we can clear it ASAP.

Ryder, Marshall, Membrey and King need to set up ACROSS the ground, ready for any hurried/blind kicks out of defence.

Get the ball to Doogs where we can so he can roost it 60m across the park and away from wherever Andrews is.

Small forwards must stand up. Gone from a massive strength to our weakest position.

If we can tick these boxes then we have some hope.

Lions by 85.

Even though our forward line is struggling there's no sense in flirting with form or even thinking that thus kid will make a difference.
Our issues are not personnel particularly.

Am I the only one who thinks you shouldn't base what team you select on what the other team is doing? Play to win not play to try stop them from winning.
Your right, but unless it's very slippery their forward line will have a field day if we decide to roll with 1 kpd, which I think is Ratts preferred setup.

I'm also worried about Hill at half back, can rack them up and setup play well, but can get exposed defensively. It seemed some of the defenders were pretty pissed at him with some of his setups in the last quarter against Pies.

If we bring Battle in, would like him to play defensive wing and drop back when the oppo has possession swapping with Hill in transition. So essentially Battle at Hb but starting Wing and Hill really wing but starting hb

Your right, but unless it's very slippery their forward line will have a field day if we decide to roll with 1 kpd, which I think is Ratts preferred setup.

I'm also worried about Hill at half back, can rack them up and setup play well, but can get exposed defensively. It seemed some of the defenders were pretty pissed at him with some of his setups in the last quarter against Pies.

If we bring Battle in, would like him to play defensive wing and drop back when the oppo has possession swapping with Hill in transition. So essentially Battle at Hb but starting Wing and Hill really wing but starting hb
You can only keep getting the easy ball for so long. Hill can be exposed and bet Fagan will have a plan to stop him getting all those handball receives. This will be a tough game. Prefer battle to be included as he does have some experience in the backline.

Haven't been here for a few weeks... Get back and one of the first things I read is drop Billings for Kent. Never change Saints board.
We traded Billings last week.

We're ahead of our time you know.

Sharman is too skinny, the kid needs a big pre season in the gym.

Great to see him kick 2 goals on the weekend but I think he had 9 touches and still looks a fair way off of the big league.
King is averaging 9.6 touches and 1.4 goals per game. Is he not up to standard as well?

Sharman isn't an 18yo kid straight from the draft. He's been playing senior footy at lower levels for the past two years and the lower levels can be more physical and rougher then AFL so him being "skinny" means bugger all. Connolly has played 4 VFL games since being drafted and everyone was excited to see him get a run.

King is averaging 9.6 touches and 1.4 goals per game. Is he not up to standard as well?

Sharman isn't an 18yo kid straight from the draft. He's been playing senior footy at lower levels for the past two years and the lower levels can be more physical and rougher then AFL so him being "skinny" means bugger all. Connolly has played 4 VFL games since being drafted and everyone was excited to see him get a run.
King is averaging those stats in the AFL though not the VFL.

Sharman played senior footy in Leeton last year, a decent step down from the VFL. Even though he looked a level above he was getting pushed out of the contest a lot.

Connolly isn't being asked to play as a key forward so it's not a great comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back