Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hear me out. Genuine thought.

Joe was on tonight. I actually liked his game and almost gave him votes. I think we saw enlightened Joe.

His issue tonight was (1) struggling to kick the ball good (2) thinking too many moves ahead using enlightened Joe brain. If you put Joe's brain in anyone else's head they'd be bed ridden and unable to move.

Hear me out. Genuine thought.

Joe was on tonight. I actually liked his game and almost gave him votes. I think we saw enlightened Joe.

His issue tonight was (1) struggling to kick the ball good (2) thinking too many moves ahead using enlightened Joe brain. If you put Joe's brain in anyone else's head they'd be bed ridden and unable to move.
I think we saw tonight the sort of things that can happen when you tell Joe to play like a normal player and not like Joe.

He was often trying to do the right thing that didn't work out for him and the Joe things weren't working because he kept shanking kicks.

He's been an awesome player since we got hold of him and the best way of getting full value from his talents is to tell him to do whatever he feels like doing within reason.

I think we saw tonight the sort of things that can happen when you tell Joe to play like a normal player and not like Joe.

He was often trying to do the right thing that didn't work out for him and the Joe things weren't working because he kept shanking kicks.

He's been an awesome player since we got hold of him and the best way of getting full value from his talents is to tell him to do whatever he feels like doing within reason.

We will miss joe when he’s gone. He’s my favourite player by a margin.

The bold is actually chefs kiss in terms of an apt description.

6 contested marks for Walker. Lester could get the Waterman matchup next week which will be really concerning
Lester started the year well, but the last month he has started slowing up a bit. If Doedee and/or Dizz were available then I’m not sure he’d be holding his spot right now. Probably isn’t all his fault either though to be fair. We’ve clearly gone in with an attacking mindset over the past 6 weeks or so and back ourselves to outscore the opposition no matter what score they put up. This has left us vulnerable on the defensive end and he is getting exposed in those one on ones which isn’t really his go.

Last edited:
Starcevic effectively misses two games because of Rankine. Whilst further disadvantaging Lions on the night.

So baseline should be two weeks (that’s what Starce is missing), plus one or two for the action.

Hope to see Rankine cop 4 personally, but would be happy with 3.

On the game itself, we were incredibly patchy and wasteful. Play like that against a good team and we will get demolished.

Lester started the year well, but the last month he has started slowing up a bit. If Doedee and/or Dizz were available then I’m not sure he’d be holding his spot right now. Probably isn’t all his fault either though to be fair. We’ve clearly gone in with an attacking mindset over the past 6 weeks or so and back ourselves to our score the opposition no matter what score they put up. This has left us vulnerable on the defensive end and he is getting exposed in those one on ones which isn’t really his go.

I thought he started the year slow (like most of the team) then coincidently stepped up the week Doedee was meant to play but has definitely tapered off and really can't be trusted one on one with the big guys

6 contested marks for Walker. Lester could get the Waterman matchup next week which will be really concerning
Tex wasn't a good matchup for Froggy in the air but he was all we had. Froggy was smart enough to try to hurt Tex the only way he could by outrunning him always looking for the overlap up the ground.

Tex wasn't a good matchup for Froggy in the air but he was all we had. Froggy was smart enough to try to hurt Tex the only way he could by outrunning him always looking for the overlap up the ground.

We had Payne but we had to send him to Fogarty because he beat Lester last time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starcevic effectively misses two games because of Rankine. Whilst further disadvantaging Lions on the night.

So baseline should be two weeks (that’s what Starce is missing), plus one or two for the action.

Hope to see Rankine cop 4 personally, but would be happy with 3.
Agree on starting at 2 games to match the 2 games Starc missed. I’d say 2 on top for the intentional action (though i can’t see him getting 4).

Seriously concerning how a concussion incident could be abused in a grand final. I wonder if it will ultimately lead to a send off rule in the future.

Well I agree with that .But there didn't seem much in it . Just fluked a bad outcome from something you see many times every week.

Did you have the same view on Gaff v Brayshaw?

(Not that the outcomes are comparable in severity, however).

Rankine gets a least a 1 week holiday - AFL won't like the look of it.

We had Payne but we had to send him to Fogarty because he beat Lester last time
I would've had it the other way round but pretty much a line ball.

Payne was able to nullify Fogarty in the air except when he got it on a platter. I'd still rate Tex as a bigger threat but they're both such good kicks that you need to prevent as much aerial dominance inside 50 as you can.

Did Rankine write this? Very Clumsy Starce, very clumsy.

Is Izak Rankine in trouble?
Izak Rankine is sure to come under scrutiny from the Match Review Officer following a first-quarter incident with Brandon Starcevich. As Rankine darted forward ahead of the play as a stoppage was being set on the wing, Starcevich chased while watching the play. In the meantime, Rankine had stopped in his tracks, just in time for the Lions defender to run straight into the Crow's braced shoulder, well off the ball. Both left the field and after Starcevich failed a Head Injury Assessment, he was replaced by substitute Logan Morris.

Did Rankine write this? Very Clumsy Starce, very clumsy.

Mike Whiting. I was looking for how to contact him, but i don’t do twitter.
Give Mike the benefit of wanting to remain impartial (unlike the TV commentators who are typically highlighting any incident and calling for weeks.
Rewatch the incident - Rankine stops, looks at him, the launches into him. A bit different to Fish’s explanation!

Mike Whiting. I was looking for how to contact him, but i don’t do twitter.
Give Mike the benefit of wanting to remain impartial (unlike the TV commentators who are typically highlighting any incident and calling for weeks.
Rewatch the incident - Rankine stops, looks at him, the launches into him. A bit different to Fish’s explanation!
Fish is an unabashed admirer of Rankne’s but that is terribly written.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Back