Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Starcevich missing the next two games when you only have to sit out 12 days and there are 14 days between yesterday and Sunday Fortnight’s game against the Swans?

I think there was some misunderstanding. He missed the Adelaide game + next week by default = two games.

Why does he miss the next two? Isn't it only one?
It should only be a minimum of 12 days.
At community level it is 21 days.

This from the AFL in 2024
  • 7. When was the minimum 12-day return to play period brought in at the elite level of the competition (AFL/AFLW)?
    The AFL/AFLW minimum 12-day return to play protocol was implemented in 2021. The Concussion Guidelines for the elite game are reviewed on an annual basis and the current updated version is a reflection of the evolving understanding of the impact of concussion and head trauma and the AFL’s ongoing commitment to the health and safety of all present, past and future players. Under the current protocol, all players suffering a concussion will miss at least one match (assuming standard fixturing) and sometimes they will miss more than one match depending on an individual’s recovery and other factors such as concussion history, etc.

Yep all very subjective!

I actually think the deep Harris kick would also have been the safest one. Very hard to score when it's out of bounds deep in the pocket of the oppo, easy to set up well...
I hate to say it but Harris is a big worry when he starts to second guess himself when he has a mark. He often takes too much time and then has to hurry his kick which often ends in a turnover, or alternatively telegraphs what he is going to do and kicks a looping kick to someone under pressure. I used to worry about Payne when he had the ball deep inside 50 but I think Harris is now a bigger risk.

:eek:I could have sworn I saw him on the wing at a few of them... time for me to make an OPSM appointment.

Sorry for my idiocy.
He was definitely starting centre bounces on the wing.

I think there was some misunderstanding. He missed the Adelaide game + next week by default = two games.
Well technically he didn’t miss the Adelaide game because he obviously played and was credited with a game played. The post I quoted isnt the first where people are saying he’s missing another two games, not including the Crows game.

Really enjoyed watching Kai Lohmann on a few separate occasions continue to turn the hype up as the game went on. Didn't have a massive impact on the contest, but watching him hype up his team mates after a big tackle or contest shows the kind of player and person he is. He's definitely proved me wrong this year.

Really exciting in terms of young and upcoming talent with Morris, Lohmann, Ashcroft, Fletcher and Motty running around causing headaches for the opposition. Scary to think about how good they could all be in another 2 or 3 years.

Really enjoyed watching Kai Lohmann on a few separate occasions continue to turn the hype up as the game went on. Didn't have a massive impact on the contest, but watching him hype up his team mates after a big tackle or contest shows the kind of player and person he is. He's definitely proved me wrong this year.

Really exciting in terms of young and upcoming talent with Morris, Lohmann, Ashcroft, Fletcher and Motty running around causing headaches for the opposition. Scary to think about how good they could all be in another 2 or 3 years.
I noticed Kai a lot as well, I thought his defensive pressure and intent was fantastic, always busts a gut, has x factor and the grunt, very excited with how good he could be with a few more seasons under his belt.

The 2021 draft will be looked back on as exceptional for us, Darcy Wilmot at pick 16 and Kai Lohmann at pick 20 were masterstrokes by our recruiting team.

:eek:I could have sworn I saw him on the wing at a few of them... time for me to make an OPSM appointment.

Sorry for my idiocy.
On the wing is not CBA so cancel the OPSM appointment.
The wing attendance thread will give you all the wing numbers when it gets posted.

The CBA'S got thrown out a bit with Starch going down and Fletcher moving from wing to HB.
Berry getting less mid time with Ashcroft's return the week before. Nothing this week because of injury to Starch.
Interestingly Bailey's CBA's increased to 39% (12) on Sunday but had no center or stoppage clearances.
Ashcroft (23% & 19%) spending time wing/forward & some midfield time. I assume the club is easing him back into AFL.
Ashcroft's average CBA's in 2023 was 44%.

Below from https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/?team=BRL&season=2024

1720426188310.png

I’m still struggling to understand how and why Mike Whiting thinks Starcevich ran into Rankine 😐

Pretty evident that turd Rankine launches into an unsuspecting Starc who is not bracing for anything and Rankine just wants to hurt him by splitting him down the middle. Hope Whiting admits he was wrong in the Roar Deal

On the wing is not CBA so cancel the OPSM appointment.
The wing attendance thread will give you all the wing numbers when it gets posted.

The CBA'S got thrown out a bit with Starch going down and Fletcher moving from wing to HB.
Berry getting less mid time with Ashcroft's return the week before. Nothing this week because of injury to Starch.
Interestingly Bailey's CBA's increased to 39% (12) on Sunday but had no center or stoppage clearances.
Ashcroft (23% & 19%) spending time wing/forward & some midfield time. I assume the club is easing him back into AFL.
Ashcroft's average CBA's in 2023 was 44%.

Below from https://dfsaustralia.com/afl-cbas/?team=BRL&season=2024

View attachment 2042832
I really don't think I like Bailey getting that much time inside. I know he is returning from injury but personally don't rate his inside game. Thinks he's Rayner or Dangerfield in how he tries to bust tackles so often. Think I'd rather see several others get that sort of mid time and think they'd be more effective

Top 2 self explanatory. The rest are interesting

Brisbane v Adelaide
10 Lachie Neale (BL)
8 Josh Dunkley (BL)
5 Ben Keays (ADEL)
3 Darcy Wilmot (BL)
2 Mark Keane (ADEL)
2 Oscar McInerney (BL)
Wonder about the votes for Keane. Not exactly who i would have thought of for their bests

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't think I like Bailey getting that much time inside. I know he is returning from injury but personally don't rate his inside game. Thinks he's Rayner or Dangerfield in how he tries to bust tackles so often. Think I'd rather see several others get that sort of mid time and think they'd be more effective
100% would much rather Jarrod Berry spend more time inside than Bailey, Bailey's best position is primarily as a dangerous small forward.

Best inside/balanced mid rotation by finals should be Neale, Dunkley, Berry, Ashcroft, McCluggage with short stints from Rayner and Bailey or even Fletcher.

I’m still struggling to understand how and why Mike Whiting thinks Starcevich ran into Rankine

Pretty evident that turd Rankine launches into an unsuspecting Starc who is not bracing for anything and Rankine just wants to hurt him by splitting him down the middle. Hope Whiting admits he was wrong in the Roar Deal

Weird from Mike Whiting, especially as he is an unabashed Starcevic fan.

Be interesting to hear whether he doubles down on TRD or retracts his comments

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that Dew was in the coaching box during the game. The first time I think.

Loved your comment on Oscar. Really lifted after quarter time and dominated for the rest of the game.

Really, REALLY hope we keep Dew on next year in a formal assistant role. Fantastic footy mind, would be an invaluable asset to the club.

I don't know how a bloke who's up for the 4th time for deliberately tripping , and from behind in a race for the ball if you don't mind , gets off with a fine.

Acl, broken leg ,anything can happen with that kind of trip . The AFL is currently obsessed with concussion, rightfully so , but they've given this guy carte blanche to go on doing it until something serious happens. Which it already has over the years and will again.

I’m still struggling to understand how and why Mike Whiting thinks Starcevich ran into Rankine 😐

Starcevich was looking over his shoulder at the stoppage, Rankine knew he could catch him unaware so went the off the ball bump, it went wrong so he must wear the consequences, that is how the rule is written, 4 weeks is about right.

Starcevich was looking over his shoulder at the stoppage, Rankine knew he could catch him unaware so went the off the ball bump, it went wrong so he must wear the consequences, that is how the rule is written, 4 weeks is about right.

It's difficult to see how Adelaide can even argue this down to a lesser penalty.

The act itself is virtually indefensible and the outcome was awful.

Cop your fair whack Rankine

I don't know how a bloke who's up for the 4th time for deliberately tripping , and from behind in a race for the ball if you don't mind , gets off with a fine.

Acl, broken leg ,anything can happen with that kind of trip . The AFL is currently obsessed with concussion, rightfully so , but they've given this guy carte blanche to go on doing it until something serious happens. Which it already has over the years and will again.
Even more disappointing that none of the talking heads have even mentioned it. I mean sure there is two high profile incidents this round but tripping such as this is still worthy of being on the agenda.

Who do we look at for Starce? No real lockdown small defender option. Wonder if Brain can lock down.
Thought Rankine was reasonably well held. For really his first go playing the role, with limited or no preparation, Wilmot did a great job.

On that basis I'd be happy to bring in the next best performing small/medium defender from the VFL team and shuffle the roles as need be.

Even more disappointing that none of the talking heads have even mentioned it. I mean sure there is two high profile incidents this round but tripping such as this is still worthy of being on the agenda.
Was covered on 360 by both Mark Robinson and Gerard Whateley

Pretty sure David King mentioned last night as well

Was covered on 360 by both Mark Robinson and Gerard Whateley

Pretty sure David King mentioned last night as well
Watching 360 next; still watching Footy Furnace from last night. Didn’t hear King mention it on First Crack though. Glad it’s being discussed just in time for one of our players to be suspended in time 😉 👍

Solid win but should have been by 5 goals. However, the Crows did give it everything and kicked for goal well.
Dunks, Lachie and Berry were outstanding. Others flashed in and out of the game.
Yes expected score agrees with you. They shot the lights out and we regressed to our standard early season form in front of goal:

Ultimately it's the most convincing 11 point win you're ever likely to see. Kicked the first 3 goals of the game and literally held them at arm's length for the remainder, never conceding more than 2 consecutive goals. They closed to within 7 during the 1st, 8 points during the 2nd and 3rd, while 11 was as close as they got in the last.

Yes, a better red time and last quarter performance would have been nice, but good to get another win with still so much potential upside. Thought we also ran the clock well at the end when things got a bit too close for comfort.

Transition defence remains a concern, but we did defend our back 50 far better than in recent weeks. Adelaide managed only 20 shots from 48 entries - that 42% is our best effort since we beat Gold Coast. So maybe this is the first step in improving our overall team defence. Better tackling in our front half would not go astray.

I think strategically we were well set up behind the ball, however conceding 15 contested marks while only taking 6 of our own limits the effectiveness of any strategy. Thought our talls were pretty well beaten at both ends which was disappointing. Payne was probably our best overall.

Just started watching the replay and noticing at a lot of aerial contests, a lot of numbers from both sides around the ball but ours were often pretty bunched up whereas Adelaide had a better spread 360⁰ around the fall of the ball. Thus they often came away with the ball when it looked like we should have won it.

Hopefully we can find ways to become more clinical in our front 60 or 70. Lots of fumbling, bombing to packs or way too adventurous long shots at goal. At least we're getting those shots now where we were struggling early in the season.

But I have a bit of a theory as to why we've perhaps fluffed our lines a few too many times in front of goal the last couple of weeks. I wonder if our crowd noise is sometimes so overwhelming that our players get a bit overexcited and ahead of themselves, and it prevents them selecting the best option and executing accordingly. Takes me back to the 2019 Semi Final, which was so amazingly loud in our favour but I'm still not sure that was to our advantage! Similarly, whenever I go to Broncos games and the ground announcer starts a chant whenever we get inside the opposition 20, we invariably drop the ball 🤦

Yes, our Gabba only holds 30-odd thousand, but as Chris Scott has said, it's one of the loudest venues in the country when it's rocking and I wonder if that sometimes adversely affects our players. NFL teams of course make a point of asking their fans to be quiet when they have the ball - it's a stark contrast to here.

Compare that to the way our inside 50 conversion has been outstanding in our last two away games, against the Bulldogs and Port, where we had much less crowd support. Hopefully we get enough opportunities in Perth on Sunday to see if that trend continues or not.

Last edited:
Found Rayner's best position - forward half loose cannon.

Starces concussion saves discussion about McKenna - can't replace both back flankers.

Kudos to the crows. Benny Keays has made himself into a good footballer. Again, kudos.

F**k, we have some selfish players up forward. Logan Morris's attitude stands out,

Loved, after a quiet start, how Washcroft took control in the 3rd when we needed him.
Looking forward to seeing "forward half loose cannon" appear on coaches' magnet boards all over Australia. 3KZ is Football your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 17, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Back