Review Round 17 = Collingwood 80-92 Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

This.

We probably do need to tighten up defensively and the Cats this week will really test us.

However, when our forwards and mids decide to have a night off on the defensive side of the game, our backs are going to be under severe pressure.

If people have watched first crack recently they had down the ground footage of our mids slacking on defensive run, leaving Essendon players free streaming at goal and causing the outbumber.

They also then highlighted Moore letting his man have too much rope and freedom to roam whilst being in no man's land himself to impact the deep ball.

There is definitely a mixture of team defensive drop off and individuals.

Hopefully we can get a few players back and some continuity in the group over next few weeks.

If people have watched first crack recently they had down the ground footage of our mids slacking on defensive run, leaving Essendon players free streaming at goal and causing the outbumber.

They also then highlighted Moore letting his man have too much rope and freedom to roam whilst being in no man's land himself to impact the deep ball.

There is definitely a mixture of team defensive drop off and individuals.

Hopefully we can get a few players back and some continuity in the group over next few weeks.

Yep, there's not just one person to blame.

The beauty of last year was that Moore could play so aggressively across CHB knowing that he had Murphy to chop him out when required. As good as Frampton was early in the season, he's reading of the play is nowhere near the level of Murphy. Obviously, this is why we're so heavily into Mark Keane to fill the Murphy void.

Less pressure from the midfield makes it harder for Darcy down back. I’m sure the coaches are going over vision with him and would like him to play better but I think the biggest of our issues is the lack of pressure on the ball carrier at the moment.

Less pressure from the midfield makes it harder for Darcy down back. I’m sure the coaches are going over vision with him and would like him to play better but I think the biggest of our issues is the lack of pressure on the ball carrier at the moment.

Yep. Zone defence and intercepts relies on pressure on the ball carrier. Whether that’s a chase from behind or front on pressure from a defender. If a defender does opt to run toward the ball carrier though, the onus then shifts to the zone to run and cover the opponent he’s left behind. We’re not getting that and I think that’s why Moore and our other defenders are occasionally getting left between the 2. Defence is working too hard to cover poor defensive application from forwards and mids.

Nah, we are the only team that the big KPf kick bags on…

Meanwhile just this wkend
Larkey: 3
Cameron: 4.4
Hogan: 5
McKay: 5

I’m a fan of the man and see his value to the side.
However, I cannot for the life of me understand why he remained in defence.
He was undersized and his kicking was clearly off.
I would’ve swapped Howe back in the 3rd qtr.
Absolutely. And WHE is definitely at his best when he’s forward.

McClarty, McMahon were roughies in the 30s.

Shaz was never KPP height. They originally thought he'd become a midfielder.

Ollie Henry again not KPP height, more medium tall aka 3rd forward.

Reef also was pinned as an inside mid when selected. There was actually zero talk of becoming a KPP.
Has the ability to play it at 194cm with pace but needs to get to many more contests and hit the packs hard like Mihocek.
McClarty was a next best speccy that we did not want, but took at 30 after missing out on our target of Shai Bolton at 29! Shaz looked like McGovern at junior level and Matthews or someone like that said he was one of the best handful of juniors he had ever seen. Leaving side injuries he needed to be allowed to be a free wheeling interceptor. Henry and MInnis were mid size best available. I don’t like that because of need, we played them and Jonson as mid sized marking forwards. They all needed to be trained as tall mids who can play like Bailey Fritsch. Imagine our chaos corridor game where they only have one on one contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back