VFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Geelong at Victoria Park (Pies WON 92-42, replay links in the OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

MagpieBat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Ruby
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, #TeamBatman
When and Where:
12:00pm this Saturday at the original home of the Collingwood Football Club.

Broadcast:
Video - Streamed live via collingwoodfc.com.au, at this link and through the Collingwood FC smartphone app for iPhone and Android from 11:50am.

Radio - Streamed live on Collingwood Radio via collingwoodfc.com.au (at this portal) and through the Collingwood FC smartphone app for iPhone and Android from 11:50am. Data usage and charges apply, including for Telstra customers.

Internet - Live updates at collingwoodfc.com.au, score updates at Nick's Bulletin Board and on Twitter at @VFLPies.

Replay:
First Quarter
Second Quarter
Third Quarter
Fourth Quarter

Team:
B: Golds, Frost, R Pendlebury
HB: Kelly, Goldsack, Toovey
C: Oxley, Macaffer, Phillips
HF: Broomhead, Gault, Hellier
F: Ferguson, Cox, Wyatt
R: L Howe, Goodyear, Moloney
I: Collopy, Taylor, Close, Matheson, Gray, Borthwick, Hinkley, M Smith, Indovino*

(senior emergencies)

Where They Sit:
Collingwood: 3rd (10 wins, 3 losses, 3 byes, 109.63%)
Geelong: 6th (8 wins, 5 losses, 3 byes, 145.84%)

Getting There:
Car
- Located on the corner of Lulie Street and Turner Street, Abbotsford. Limited free parking available immediately outside the ground on Lulie Street, Turner Street, Abbot Street and Trenerry Crescent. Paid parking in the old railway yards immediately across from the ground at the Lulie Street end.

Public transport
- Take the South Morang or Hurstbridge rail line to Victoria Park station. The ground is located immediately across from the railway station and car park.

Admission:
Free!

Last Time They Met:
Round 6, 2016 at Kardinia Park
Geelong 6.8.44, def by
Collingwood 8.16.64

Head to Head:
Played: 17
Collingwood: 11
Geelong: 6

How They Fared Last Week:
Collingwood - BYE

Geelong 15.22.122, def
Essendon 5.4.34

The Run Home:
Collingwood - Geelong (H), Coburg (H), Port Melbourne (H), Box Hill (A), Footscray (A)

Geelong - Collingwood (A), Frankston (H), Richmond (A), Casey (H), Port Melbourne (A)

Note:
- This match will form the first act of a Collingwood double-header, with the Magpies taking on West Coast at the MCG in the Saturday twilight fixture. The VFL match will finish at approximately 2:30pm, leaving supporters two hours to get from Victoria Park to their seats at the MCG.

Over to you...

Last edited:
Likely to be without Witts and Sier.

Brayden Sier (back)
Brayden Sier had a concussion but he’s passed his concussion tests. He didn’t play on the weekend because the VFL had a bye. Funnily enough, he was in the gym and slightly hurt his back. He may well be out for this week. He’s actually going fairly well, but with that back thing we’ll be pretty conservative as well. More than likely he won’t play this week.

Jarrod Witts (finger)
Jarrod Witts compound dislocated his finger two weeks ago. He had a bit of surgery on it to make sure he didn’t get another infection like last time he hurt his hand. There’s a reasonable chance that he might miss this week as well. He could well get up, but it’s more likely that we won’t put that sort of pressure on him. He will be short term as well.
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/injury-list

I be there. 1st of 4 really important games we play in last 5 games

They're all important. And they're all against teams who are either contenders or desperately trying to scramble into the finals.

Geelong are looking ominous right now. Coburg can worry the best of teams on their day. Port are better than when we ran into them earlier this year (and that match was an arm-wrestle for 3 quarters). Box Hill are always a tricky assignment, especially at Whitehorse Road. And Footscray at Footscray is right up there with the hardest road trips in the VFL.

All 5 games will be good stress tests of our finals credentials.

Last edited:

Yep. But we haven't had Sier for large stretches and have still played some good football without him, so it's really just Witts that we have to do without on that score.

On the flip-side, Cox should come back into the side, Macaffer almost certainly, maybe De Goey into the midfield as well if they want to teach him a lesson.

From the VFL list, Jordan Kelly missed against Frankston in what was apparently just a case of man management, so he should slot back in. And Michael Still it seems has played a month at suburban level, could be ready to step out for the first time in 2016 as well.

They're all important. And they're all against teams who are either contenders or desperately trying to scramble into the finals.

Geelong are looking ominous right now. Coburg can worry the best of teams on their day. Port are better than when we ran into them earlier this year (and that match was an arm-wrestle for 3 quarters). Box Hill are always a tricky assignment, especially at Whitehorse Road. And Footscray at Footscray is right up there with the hardest road trips in the VFL.

All 5 games will be good stress tests of our finals credentials.

They have a handy percentage the Cats! :eek:

If my boys are up for it I might be doing the double this week.

They have a handy percentage the Cats! :eek:

If my boys are up for it I might be doing the double this week.

They've been trashing some middle-tier teams of late. And it helps that they haven't really been blown away in their losses, unlike us.

Still, all of this was said the week we faced Williamstown. Look how that turned out...;)

Hope your boys get to watch two excellent Collingwood wins up close on the weekend. :):thumbsu:

Under the Sherrin stand if I remember correctly.

Yep. And you can BYO as well. Plus I think there's a bar next door and the Yarra Hotel is just a short walk away too...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the weather is okay I might head down earlier with the kids prior to the main game. A kick on the ground, a beer or two for me, a lemonade for them and off to watch us beat WC.

The advantage of playing on a Friday. By Tuesday the anguish is forgotten and already looking forward with hope to the next game. Week has already started well with two possible suspensions somehow being let off. Hopefully a week where everything goes our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 17 - Collingwood vs Geelong at Victoria Park (Pies WON 92-42, replay links in the OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back